or Connect

Posts by MichaelGA

Sorry to hear TF... sucks when punks mess with your hobbies... hope things get sorted out alright for you.   Plate looks just fine, and tasty.   Extra helping of wine/beer/booze for you tonight!
Looking great!
 up until recently they all said to 'never wash' mushrooms either because they soak up water... caramelized onions also always started in butter / oil as it was the only way to do it right... ... now we know better don't we. A very old one that was busted many many years ago - seafood and cheese don't mix....  PS with sous-vide cooking, unless you are low temp - braising, there is no need to rest the meat.   There is no hold-over cooking and nothing is re-adsorbed.   I do...
Ok - I hope Kenji doesn't take offense and start sending me bills for type copy... but anyway.   This will hopefully save everyone a lot of time... read them.  Understand them.  Then you can get all Zen about Steak.   Myths and Wives Tales about Steak   now that is out of the way here are the traditional methods   Pan-Seared Steaks  and   Grilled Steaks   Onto the Art and Zen topics:   Types of steaks   Home Dry Aging of Steak   Why Cook Sous-Vide...
Tell me more about it - haven't read it...  kinda got turned off on Japanese cooking long ago because of all the rules (that are only regional).  Still love many of their techniques and use them regularly.    What's this books angle?   tia
Dry meat is over cooked meat.  Plain and simple.   You need to lesson the cooking time for the meat you are using, or You can cut the meat into bigger chunks.   Until you have a tried and true recipe I'd suggest using a thermometer, check the meat - record the temp and your observations. When you hit the best tenderness to taste (dryness) ratio record the temp and then use that as the bases.   Also make sure you are using 'stew' meat not just meat cut into small /...
No...   resting is based upon the temperature differential between 'cooked' and cooking temp. It mainly pertains to hold-over cooking and stabilizing.   When cooking sous-vide the differential is not noticeable. Cook and get your plates ready then slice!
The proper way to wear / use a towel that is tucked into the waistband is very simple.   However many people seem to have forgotten it.   The towel is used only as a 'pot-grabber' or 'hot-mit' it is never used to dry hands... never to clean anything.   It is kept clean and dry so you have a way to instantly grab a hot plate / item skillet etc..   It should be kept at the front of your waist and never used to clean you hands or dry them, that is for...
Just get yourself a Kneading / Pastry board... many styles and pretty cheap if you build it yourself.   Images for Kneading Boards      
I agree - those look very useful.   Most likely specially sharpened also.   Very cool.   Now to find myself a set.