Posts by Meezenplaz

Okay, i do agree the state of that grill is unacceptable. If I clocked in and found that, id be pretty ticked off myself. The grill's to be cleaned and blocked after every shift so far as im concerned, and several times during as load permits. And since its tough sweaty work, all cooks should share it equally.
I see one cart full of dirtied cooking equipment, and don't even see any food particles on anything--they look rinsed. Nor do I  see any dishes, plates, flatware, glasses, etc.   In the place I worked for  years, cleaning the cook line and baking stuff was my responsibility. In fact i insisted upon it, unless I didn't have time and needed some stuff back in service like.... NOW. My general policy was, I dirtied it, so I washed it. And with that attitude in hand, I got...
Careful Chefwriter, youll get me started on cocktail waitresses. Considered the cream of crop in tipping jobs in many areas. But seriously what do they really do for the most part, to deserve a 20% tip on 30 bucks worth of drinks? (uh oh, i think I can sense Mimi glaring at meeee!) I mean besides cutting up with ya, maybe laughing at yer silly jokes, for the most part they saddle up to the server slot, put your drink on a tray and bring it to you. But try NOT tipping at...
Agree number one consideration is budget. In order to set up a working, legal permitted kitchen, if all you have is a sink and an oven, your employer is going to have to spend some money. REAL money. Even more so if theres no exhaust system in place. If there is, what goes on is quite dependent ON that system, it's size and specs. Sanitatary practice is a big consideration in the food industry at large, but like our Mimi said, with public schools and serving minors...
Yes, slow for me all day today.
My gosh Bloody Mary, your lashing out at anyone who doesn't see things your way is only going to have the effect of shooting yourself in the foot....as has already happened once. Virtually everyone in here who is answering you is a seasoned professional and has no reason to deliberately make you look bad. Your continued hostility makes me wonder what you want, or expect, out of posting here.   You include many details about your job and personal feelings, pros offer...
Theres a more practical reason for a blacksmith to "bounce" his hammer off an anvil, than a chef to tap his blade on the cutting board. In addition to knocking off slag as suggested, the bounce, absorbs the rest of the energy in the hammer. If you dont let it bounce, you have to stop that heavy hammer with your muscles. But tapping your knife doesn't clear the blade of onion bits and such, what does that is wiping, "finger-scissoring", scraping it on something, or...
All experience, duties, minimum wage, and special skills/schools/training aside, IMO what youre worth, what you should be paid for being there, all reduces down to how valuable, and hard to replace an asset you are for the place youre working for. And there are two sides to that equation....how THEY guage that, and how YOU guage it. Ideally, everyone's happy, give and take equally, you work your ass off, their profits and growth reflect a good investment in you, and you...
Your last was an interesting point, and by that definition, I must have known several kitchen assholes. lol Cuz let me assure you, vanity is a trait that is definitely not limited to the female gender. Plenty of guy cooks out there resist or refuse to wear a hair net because it "looks ridiculous". Other colorful adjectives I've heard are lame, sissy, stupid, my-hairs-clean, and "makes me look like a .... [insert not-niceties]". When in fact, all of the above are...
Mothers day is over, but i feel compelled to say this much.... I have some experience with these in the pro banquet room, do be careful with them, the last half case I bought, they looked and peeled fine but tasted awful..some kind of rot or disease or sommat. Had to dump em. I didnt find them popular with guests either, so now stick to white yams and prefer purple potatoes--much less finicky.