or Connect

Posts by Meezenplaz

True. And I would use aborio if I had it or if available. And wanted a standard Risotto. If not available and Cal rose, or sushi,  or some other is... or was possibly going for something new and varied, well we're talking about suitable substitutes here.   Again we're brainstorming  the few rices that actually could compare to classic Aborio in texture, creaminess,and absorption performance, while still remaining al dente....and just plain yummy.  
Hey willowsmoon welcome in. Another rice that I've found seems to work well is Cal-rose--half the price of Aborio --I've made both creamy, brothy Risottos and rice puddings with it. As far as the expensive ingreds--if you're experimenting with one ingredient like the rice, you can always substitute cheaper ingredients that you already know will cook the same, while you're perfecting your recipe. Then its just a matter of subbing in the Coco milk etc that you want to use...
Hello and welcome in. Do you have any prior experience catering or just starting with an idea? Costs vary individually with area,(which wasn't given)  and your own unique overhead. There have been many discussions of this type on the board, here are a few I have...
Um...you're a private cook, but not  a professional? Do you get paid?   So  while it's certainly a diversified app menu,  I wouldnt say they're not appropriate for apps--depends how they're presented. For instance if you wrap the prosciutto around the cantaloupe, maybe top with a cherry tomato, and slide onto a frilly toothpick, it makes a very pretty app.   The cucumber/feta/tomato you've listed as a salad, but can be converted to an app in  a few ways, such as...
 Yeah, we're Chefinarians!
I don't think I'd call this racism, more like technically racial discrimination based on the restaurant's cultural presentation and ambience, from the food and décor right down to the employee's accents and yes, their nationality. And I would think that "genuine" atmosphere would be even more important to them in a high end establishment. That is not to say there's no job for you here in LA, you have the skills and I believe that for every 4 or 5 that will opt for the...
Yeah Mimi, I really think the cupcakes-from-home deregulation act ended up a mixed bag of good and bad. And at this point I think I'm leaning more toward the "mostly bad" theory.
You know  it occurs to me that romance with co workers within the culinary field, seems to me to be a valid and interesting discussion in itself. I'm surethere ARE those, like you, with experience in that regard, and lessons learned. Maybe even a fatal attraction or two? Or if Im correct, in England dothey not call such people "Bunny-Boilers" these days? :) To my knowledge no one's started such a thread in here, I could be wrong though.I just dont feel like doin it...cuzza...
Haha, good one.Funny, I always found them to have a distinct flavor, albeit somewhat diluted unless, as said above theyre properly drained.If not they do seem to retain an awful lot of water after theyre baked boiled or steamed.The key is always in the salting and spicing, and using more robust stuffing ingreds. Garlic is my friend!But what I have found is that "Mexican Italian Squash" , the shorter, striped ones, have much better flavor,and the added plus of thinner more...
Well its all a matter of standards. If the owners are wanting to put out TV food, regardless of quality, won't listen to their own chefs and  wont encourage or listen to customer feedback, then Id say theyre not running the place right. If you have no control over that, the only thing you DO have control over is what you pass through that winder. Some don't care-- a job's a job and the owner is the boss. Most of us in here, you included, I would say do. Tough one,...