or Connect

Posts by Meezenplaz

Agreed FP it was kind of a general post, sans specifics, thats why I havent said anything yet.
Well using or renting time from an established, health dept approved kitchen, such as a banquet hall, church etc, is a common practice in catering. The technical term is a commisary. Its an agreement between the caterer and kitchen owner, the health department is then advised by the caterer and the licensing process completed, as a legal caterer. I would really advise that you check with your state and county public health departments to see what is required for what you...
Yep thats the thread I was thinking of, thank you for finding it Chef BILLY.
Mimi i cant find that one from a few months ago where someone proposed a similar endeavor. Do you remember it?
What you propose sounds similar to MealsOnWheels. And memory is nagging me that we had a whole discussion on this very thing sometime last year. (anyone else remember it?) I'll look for it. Meanwhile, welcome to Cheftalk Satartia.
Kitty Im glad to hear you stood your ground and refused to be taken advantage of. That can be hard to do at first, the tendency is to give in to get the client. But you know your product, and the time involved, so look in the mirror and tell yourself you did right. Unfortunately the world of catering is replete with propects who want something for nothing, or expect you to bend backwards to accomodate THEIR too-low budget, and be grateful for their business. So this is not...
mm youve got me craving Pipius Claw and Heart of Targ now, washed down with a bottle of Sluggo. I agree it would be far more practical to just integrate all ingredients and techniques into one machine internally, rather than having a robot, or even robot arms, assembling dishes in a manner that mimicks human movements. A kind of Chef Machine of sorts. 3d printing from a 2d menu, pretty fascinating stuff! However i do think full on replicators are a few centuries off at...
Agree, 35 to 40% percent sounds about right Gina. Id personally not do event catering with an average 10% profit....its just too much damn work, not to mention requiring a skill and organizational set thats just....worth more than that. And even when you clear 40, you sometimes feel you were waaaay underpaid. lol
"Now who the hell put that can of Comet cleanser where  the parmesan cheese goes!? That damned robot couldn't tell the difference!"  
less? You mean like a volume discount or sommat? I would say the answer is....depends. What you charge for any event "depends" as well. On any constants and variables for your business, current situation and the event itself. Having a handle on your needs for staff, food, rentals etc is exactly half the equation. The second half is plugging in those numbers (converting needed staff hours to dollars and cents] to get a total cost, your cost, to do the event. And dont short...