or Connect

Posts by Meezenplaz

Yes it's pretty common and I see two reasons for it:First they probably cooked the eggs "just perfect" and put them out, which is way overdonefor sitting around any length of time.Second, they failed to fluff them now and then, so after an hour or so if you want eggs you have touse the spoon to slice out a "brick",  like portioning brownies.  UN-appealing. And in addition to keeping them presentable and soft, fluffing also keeps them from drying outin the holding heat....
Looking for a better method than cracking eggs into a skillet wasn't your question. You asked how to prepare a large aount of eggs quickly and hold. IMO WLE's is the right answer. Doesn't matter the cooking method really, the trick to holding eggs a while for service is to not overcook them--I cook to the point where they're still a bit shiny. Then they hold well in chaffers for serving or stuffing things.
 I pretty much figgered that. Although at 10-12 lbs per head at least you wouldn't run  out.  
I'd consider that a fair assessment, since I did say 10-12 sandwiches per pound, not 10-12 pounds per person.   But understand, that was a rough guess based on minimal info, didnt know how big, what type of bread, nor what else if anything would be on them, or just the beef. So I'll amend my advice to say if their on say a grinder roll, Philly's Style, and ready stuffed with meaty goodness and nothing else, then yes, about 1/4 to 1/3 lb per sandwich, or 3 to 4 peoples per...
Welcome in.  I've catered for  700, no reason you cant pull it off, especially with a commissary at your disposal.....  If you're prepping cooking and slicing your own beef, get a roast, and I would figure 10 to 12 sandwiches per pound.  Apx a quarter pound in meatballs per person since theyre going to be pre-portioned....    You didn't specify if you meant 40lbs each on salads or total, but either way I don't see 40 lbs of potato salad as near enough for 700 people....
Well if its still around, and your menu is working well financially (proven in other words) then billing after the work's done can actually work to your advantage and you can bill 2 arms and 1 leg. Whereas beforehand the owner would see it as a risk.  Of course, if they don't wanna pay you what you bill for, then we're back to the words of thewise-yet-slightly-cynical foodpump: (who almost sorta admitted to being around for centuries)
Everything in life and business seems to be a tradeoff. Weddings pay more than most gigs you do, (except your better corporate events), the trade off is they can be quite the hassle. IMO, trying to keep it on track with color cards, napkins, special tickets, etc, just seems to encourage "plate swapping".  I think it calls attention to it, and people love to "beat the system".    A more common  reason it happens--guests see whats being served, either before hand or...
Such a tradition /weekend staple at so many places for so many decades. But now you got  Sysco selling everyone plastic bags full of a Hollandaise-like-substance. Quick, cheap, profitable...and thoroughly sarceligious. A steadily passing era, at least at the mid-hi end and lower. Pity.
Turn once during quarter moon, twice for half moon, thrice during full moon, and never turn during either solar nor lunar eclipse.    I turn a slab-o-meat like a brisket once about mid way, then baste as need to keep from  drying out. On the other hand (usually my left),  there are times when that slight "crust" on top is appealing.   Favorite sentence of the week:     "Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three."  
And THAT might make a great topic title, Chef Ross. Start one for us!