or Connect

Posts by thatchairlady

Seem to remember seeing thin sliced potatoes (for scalloped or gratin-ed) getting a 2-3 minute boil/blanch first... Maybe on Cooks Country or ATK??  Something to do with preventing that watery thing that sometimes happens?  You would THINK, if you can bake a big one in maybe an hour, thin sliced should cook faster??
I'm NOT an expert, but do have "mad scientist" moments.  I know you can by magnetic sheets... like stuff fridge magnets are made of.  What if you cut a piece a bit longer than blade and twice as wide.  Do a light score (with exacto or something similar)... JUST deep enough to allow  nice easy fold, but not deep enough to cut thru.  Then you could just fold over blade edge.
First thought is OLD peas??  Have had same results with legumes of unknown age??   Whenever I have a nice ham bone, totally torn...split pea or navy bean soup?!?  I NEVER soak split peas??  Just put bone and veggies (onion, celery, carrots) in big pot of water and dump in a bag-o split peas.  results are what we call"exorcist" soup... thick and creamy.
I know some people totally SHUN non-stick, but I have to praise Calphalon.  Bought a 2-pack of skillets at BBB for maybe $50.  Was pretty good to them for SEVERAL years.  If I did use metal utensils, was VERY careful/gentle.  Usually hand-washed but did put in dishwasher on a few occasions.   A year or so ago, was noticing that they werent quite as non-stick and had heard about C's return/replace policy and decided to give it a try.  Did have to pay a few dollars to send...
Went a little "mad scientist" and decided to try to smoke my own.  Found a 1 lb bag of sea salt at favorite little Asian market... for CHEAP.  Have one of those stove-top smoker thingies... one with lid that slides over pan... a never used, yard sale find.   Had NO idea how long it would take or which of the 4-5 little containers of chips to use, so just had at it.  Results looked like slightly "dirty" salt and I didn't notce any serious smoke taste or aroma??  Figured...
RARELY discard bones from any kinda chicken without making some stock.  WHole chicken, pieces (roasted/grilled)... there's  sone pretty much FREE stock in there.  Bones, water, celery/onion/carrots and a simmer.  No real WORK involved and if I get 3-4 cups... that's great!  From frozen, can go into about ANYTHING that needs more liquid... AND flavor.   Wish I had $$ & room for a MASSIVE freezer... would have nice neat shelves with stock ready to go.  I PRESSURE can...
I'm NOT an expert on the metric system, but have to throw in my 2 cents here.  Off top of my head, can say... a meter is about 3" longer than a yard, a liter is a few sips more than a quart, a kilogram is a little more than 2 lbs?? and a kilometer is a little more than 2 miles??   LOGICALLY, metric makes MUCH more sense... everything is a multiple of 10, 100, 1000, etc.  Think of our GOOFY measurement system... a foot is 12  inches and a mile is 5280 feet... WHY??  A...
It's pretty rare to find monk fish in my supermarkets.  When it does show up, it's NEVER a whole fish... long filets similar in size to a pork tenderloin.  Pretty sure the tail section is about the only part that gets eaten??   Has some membrane that gets tough when cooked.  I'm not sure how to remove that, so just eat around it!?!  Fish is mild in flavor and very firm... sometimes have heard it referred to as "poor man's lobster".  Think it would do nicely on the...
Several years ago, niece and (then) boyfriend came over between T-Day and Christmas.  We went out and cut down a Christmas tree and started decorating.  We also were making cookies.  I found a recipe for chocolate sprtiz cookies (Land'o Lakes, I think), so got out the cookie press.  The BF loaded up the press and started putting on cookie sheet... but never put a DIE into the end!?!  They came out eerily liiking like "gifts" from a small dog!!  Totally GROSS, but well...
Yes, avocado was totally ripe.  Only in oven for about 5-6 minutes, but started in preheated cast iron skillet.  Egg was cooked the way I like it (runny yolk) and avo was just hot... not BAKED to pieces.