or Connect

Posts by thatchairlady

When I have a craving for lasagna... it's for ONE... NOT a whole pan full of it.  I'll boil maybe 6-8 noodles TOPS till pliable but not to al dente yet.  I make a roll-up version... sauce and cheese mix inside.  WIll bake off a few... dinner and lunch next day.  Will freeze and vac seal rest, 2 to a bag, for later.
Have a perfect place for some tomatoes, pepper, cukes, string beans, etc... BUT local critters (groundhogs, especially) would just be lined up to mow everything down.   Have a nice sized patch, right outside front door that I'm planning on converting into an herb garden.  Have a bay laurel (that I thought I killed last year, but made a come back) that I plan to put IN the ground.  In my area of NJ, odds are in its favor to survive winter, as long as not SEVERE and...
Tried my hand at homemade breakfast sausage a while ago.  It smelled wonderful browning off, tasted good but was hard/tough??  Had a feeling not enough fat in the pork??  So vac sealed it in 2 portions (maybe a lb each) and stashed in freezer to hopefully remedy "later"??  But don't really know what my next step(s) should be?  Maybe just some ground pork fat added?  Somebody suggested (somewhere) maybe a little ground oats?
SIL thought the ONLY way to cut egs for deviled was the "avocado method"... which I personally think is a bit silly... NO offense intended!?!  I can usually see where the yolk lies inside and cut so it'll be more centered.  Will defnitely try that shaking thing before hard-BOILING next time.
Learned to make veggie beef soup from my Grandmother and consider it a "dump" recipe!?!  She'd start with chunks of beef and bones... have NO idea if there was a special type of bones?  Well browned then the dump began.  Lots of celery/carrot/onion... and REQUIRED bay leaf?!?  Have no idea how old hers were but never realized they actually HAD a flavor until I bought my own??  Some kinda tomato product... whole, crushed, sauce.  Big handful of split peas and navy beans. ...
Have to tout Calphalon... not terribly expensive by GREAT return/replace policy!  Bought a basic set SEVERAL years ago as a gift to self... stock pot (not very large), 2 sauce pans with lids, 2 skillets, and a straight sided saute with lids... in non-stick.  I was good to them... NO metal tools or VERY careful when used.  After MANY years, NO major scratches or any peeling of non-stick surface, but non-stick just wasn't so non-stick any more.   Had heard/read about...
In a perfect world (where freezer isn't an avalanche waitiing to happen), I'd use 1 quart freezer bags and freeze FLAT... then stack.  Will thaw from rock solid in less than half an hour in luke-warm water.  Since freezer space always seems to be nonexistent, I PRESSURE can in Mason jars.   I very RARELY toss any bones (especially chicken) without making some stock.  Roasted a smallish chicken last weekend, tossed carcass into big pot, added carrots/celery/onions,...
"Seasonal" veggies to me means... REAL summer tomatoes and sweet corn from SMALL road side stands where the produce comes from THAT place!  When other "farmer's markets" start bragging that they have fresh NJ tomatoes and corn... I get very skeptical.  Any place that says they have tomatoes or corn on the cob before 7/4... I pass them by, cuz it just does NOT happen!
Have an inexpensive one... Mouli, I think?  Have had it for YEARS and still remember to keep fingers WAY out of the way and use guard.  Can do 2 different thicknesses of slices, a jullienne cut, and something like a french fry (maybe 1/2 inch).  Sure I didn't pay much more than $20 for it.   Found a Cuisinart (maybe Kitchenaid) mandolin at a thrift store.  Blade didn't seem damaged and did seem sharp.  Didn't have hand-guard, but only $5.  Used it ONCE and redonated...
Knocking on my WOODEN head... haven't had any serious kitchen cuts of any time. If ya remotely think a cut might need stitches... need then right away... not a day or 2 later!  Have littl half-moon scar on tip of middle finger on left hand from one of those "slaw" cutters that suction cupped onto counter.  Didn't cut a hunk off, but had a flap that bled like CRAZY!!  Took a while before I could take pressure off without bleeding starting right up.  It healed up fine......