or Connect

Posts by thatchairlady

I make cookies... giftees don't have "time" to do more than slic and bake??  A few years back made 5-6 different herb/spice blends as gifts.
Cute idea!  I'd definitely want RUNNY yolk and totally cooked white.  Might get a little "color" on the pepper ring before putting egg inside.  Thinking could be a thicker slice and would hold 2 eggs.
Back in late 60's or early 70's (when I was 18-20 yo and very comfortable in kitchen), Dad announced that Sunday dinner would be beef Wellington.  He got the idea from the limited (but GREAT) cooking shows on TV at that time... all PBS... Julia, Jeff Smith, Graham Kerr, for sure.  He was a serious beef guy who like his pretty rare.  He buys this BIG $$ hunka tenderloin and hands me a cookbook!!  No duxelle or pate, pretty much expensive hunka tender beef cooked in pastry...
Though I do NOT want mice... those glue things just seem like torture??  Have a cat that has caught/killer 2 in the 3+ years I've had her.  She'd be in cat HEAVEN out in garage... but can't think HOW I could get her to come back IN the house??  Also don't wanna think about dead mouse bodies left at the door.
Many years back, Dad roasted a "deconstructed" T-Day meal...  WAY before anyone coined that phrase.  Cooking for a BIG crowd at our house.  HE preferred white meat, so bought 2 whole breasts... and then parts... some thighs/legs & wings.  We made eavy-duty packets to hold the stuffing that would normally have been IN the bird.  Left open on top with breast set on top.  Could still baste without stuffing getting drowned.  Ended up with lots of good brown "gunk" in...
My "pantry" consists of 2 metal shelving units in attached garage... for stuff in cans, jars, and bottles ONLY.  Things like flour, sugar, or things in bags/boxes... ALL in large, tight T-ware or other plastic container.  Went out in garage to see what I had on-hand for upcoming holiday cookies... flour, white/brown sugar, chocolate chips.  Garage is a collecting place for lots of stuff.  Had (HAD) a few cute hand-painted, wooden cigar box purses sitting on workbench. ...
Back in 1999, when Y2K was gonna grind civilization to a halt, SIL had a "Sleep-over" for New Years Eve.  BIL was major computer guy at work and HAD to be there... in case all HELL broke loose.  Niece was only 3-4 so major partying wasn't in picture anyway.  Everyone had to show up in PJs and bring something good to snack on.  Could NOT be typical chips/dip or veggie platter.  I had a gift certificate to a nice seafood place and arrived with a plate of crab claws......
TJ's extra V olive oil is nice... flavor and price.  I don't have a TJ's that's on the "way" for 9 outta 10 errands, so if I'm remotely heading his way, will stop in.  ONE time ONLY, there was tuna, in olive oil, in a JAR!  Thought a bit pricey till realized it was probably about the size of 2 regular cans of the good stuff.  WISH I had bought SEVERAL jars, cuz it was wonderful!
Teamfat... the HORROR of tossing the BEST part for gravy!  I learned all my cooking basics from my Grandmother.  She was a great cook, hardly ever ahd anything resembling a recipe, and cook a lot of things that were just dumped together.  She was also prone to BURNING stuff?!?  Whether beef, pork, chicken or turkey... catching it before all that great brown gunk un bottom of pan goes BLACK... is a bit of an art, imo!    In a perfect world, homemade turkey stock is...
Maybe a basting pan?  Thinking, even if mounded up, would wilt down quickly and maybe only need a little toss about ahlfway thru?