or Connect

Posts by thatchairlady

Have never had a fried turkey before, but would definitely be interested in trying it.   IMO, you MUST have gravy...from the drippings, so fryiing isn't something I'd be likely to do.  On rare occasions when I cook a whole bird, I do what my grandmother always did.  Stuffing IN the bird.  She never really timed the bird, but kinda had that 20 minutes a lb in mind. When I was a kid, those pop-up thingies weren't around yet... kinda useless anyway.  She's roast...
Say you got $100 "gift card" and ya hadda buy something for your kitchen??  Not a HUGE amount of $$ but not chump change either.  Where would ya shop and what would ya buy?  Thinking I might be able to find a really nice cast iron, enamel Dutch oven at Home Goods or Ross?  Might go for an unusual/funky set of flatware?   How about you?!?
Not a big fan of HOT stuff, but appreciate a little kick from time to time.  As for your oil being a fail... seriously doubt it... might not be the prettiest, but can't see why that would be a problem.  As for getting out the bits... maybe try letting it drip thru a coffee filter?   I haven't been coming here for a terribly long time, but have found posters to be fun and helpful.
Had a portabello "appetizer" that coulda been a meal with a salad... at a boardwalk place in Ses Side (Jersey SHore territory).  Grilled portabello, topped with thin slice of grilled chicken, slice of roasted read pepper, topped with melted mozz.  Thinking everything was cooked kinda separately??  Then stacked and under broiler till cheese bubbled.  Could stack with anything you liked... grilled onion maybe... bacon, etc.  COuld have no meat/seafood and be a meal.
Kitchen isn't tiny... thought it was massive when first moved into house from cramped 1 BR apartment many years ago.  Has an area for "eat-in" area, but always found it crowded.  Small round table always seemd to accumulate everything?!?  Two SMALL hunks of counterspace to either side of stove.  I'm the kinda person who doesn't put small appliances away that might get used, even if on a bi-weekly basis.  Periodically I have to just put all the JUNK away... and for a...
Learned cooking basica from my Grandmother who almost NEVER used a recipe.  Ya kinda get a knack for knowing what ingredients would work together.  Onion, celery, peppers, tomatoes can be a start for almost amy meat.  Onions, celery, chocolate... probably not so much.  Her veggie soup was always a bit of a "dump" recipe.  Started with beef chunks (browned well), bones (if ya have them), onions/carrots/celery, some kinda tomato product and water in a BIG soup pot.  ANY...
OT, but you can grow a pineapple plant from the top of a fresh one.  When you cut it off, don't leave too much flesh and just tuck into a pot of soil.  My Dad had a plant he started this way... had it for YEARS and I just didn't have the heart to leave it behind when we cleaned out his house after he died.  Hauled it from SE PA to NJ, where it lived happily indorrs during cold weather and out on my deck during the late spring-summer.  After several YEARS, I noticed this...
Have only tried alligator once... on a school field trip (with middle school kids) to a Native American Festival.  Got it to see what it was like and... to gross out 7-8th graders!!  It was hard as a rock and I literally could NOT chew it enough to swallow.  SOOO I took it back.  Was told it was probably cooked too much.  DOn;t thiink vendor expected a return... how many people in NJ would know what they got wasn't "good"!?!
Don't know whether it's just my imagination, but sometimes shrimp to get to me in NJ from halfway around the world can really be lacking in flavor.  I try to stick to stick with ones that are a little more "local" (at least by the label)... and totally understand that they coulda been at least a bit frozen along the way.  Think the USDA has some odd definitions about what frozen actually is?!?   Don't cook them long... just till pink and starting to curl up. ...
When I have a real HAM bone... always torn between my Grandmother's split pea or navy bean soups.  Both start with celery, carrots, onions.  Then a bag-o navy beans or split peas... she never soaked.  A bay leave was "required"... then the pot was filled with water and simmered til DONE.  Split peas soup always ended up as a very smooth mixture just by cooking.  Bean soup... maybe a small amount of tomato-something.  If I don't have a real ham bone and wanna make either...