or Connect

Posts by thatchairlady

HMM... gonna have to go check my knives to see if they have ONE or TWO little men on them??  I'm NOT and expert on knives at all, but thinking you could get fairly nice one(s) for $40... especially if ya go to place like Home Goods or Ross that has kitchen stuff reduced.  If you're buying for someone with REALLY awful knives... a $40 one (or 2/$40) will seem like zilliion dollar knives!
LOVE Thanksgiving dinner.  Still cooking the same things I had as a kid that are pretty much "mandatory"... not much inovation, though certainly open to new things.  LOVE real cranberry relish, made from fresh... but that can shaped cylinder with the ridges... usually on the table.  Like the stuffing IN the bird... ripped up stale bread, LOTS of onions/celery and butter.  I make pretty awesome sweet potatoes that are like dessert to me... lots of butter, brown sugar...
Several years back, had 2 Rotties (Ivy & Rose) who were bed-hogs, too.  One night I had what I called my "paralysis" dream... just couldn't move at all!!  The girls had parked them self on either side of me on TOP of blankets.  I was pinned down with almost 200 lbs of sleeping dogs.  Only thing stick out from under covers was my head... and all the dogs did was graon as I tried to get them to move... they didn't want to... they were perfectly comfortable right where they...
Have TRIED oysters... every which way but loose... just don't like them. Have tried them in oyster stew, fried, baked, bled, even raw... just don't like the flavor... not a texture thing.   DON'T like liver... though a nice pate works for me.    Have NO desire to even try anything that has a disgusting description.  Like Durean fruit... like ROTTEN meat?!?
I NEVER toss bacon fat.  When I had a dog, a few spoonfuls drizzled over dry food was a treat for her.  It's the only think my grandmother used to fry her crab cakes in.  Try making REAL pop corn with bacon fat instead of oil.  Great for scrambled/fried eggs and hash browns (fried potatoes).  I never strain out the little bits after cooking bacon.  Just pour into a contain (with lid) and store in fridge.   Once made a big vat of chicken stock.  Bird musta been...
Have an inexpensive mandolin... Mouli, I think. NOT expensive... well under $30.   Have had it for YEARS.  Came with wedges that snapped in place to produce thin and THIN slices, juillienne, and "fries".  Also had a guard with little points to grab onto food.  It is still VERY sharp and I always use the guard when getting close to blade.
Have never had a fried turkey before, but would definitely be interested in trying it.   IMO, you MUST have gravy...from the drippings, so fryiing isn't something I'd be likely to do.  On rare occasions when I cook a whole bird, I do what my grandmother always did.  Stuffing IN the bird.  She never really timed the bird, but kinda had that 20 minutes a lb in mind. When I was a kid, those pop-up thingies weren't around yet... kinda useless anyway.  She's roast...
Say you got $100 "gift card" and ya hadda buy something for your kitchen??  Not a HUGE amount of $$ but not chump change either.  Where would ya shop and what would ya buy?  Thinking I might be able to find a really nice cast iron, enamel Dutch oven at Home Goods or Ross?  Might go for an unusual/funky set of flatware?   How about you?!?
Not a big fan of HOT stuff, but appreciate a little kick from time to time.  As for your oil being a fail... seriously doubt it... might not be the prettiest, but can't see why that would be a problem.  As for getting out the bits... maybe try letting it drip thru a coffee filter?   I haven't been coming here for a terribly long time, but have found posters to be fun and helpful.
Had a portabello "appetizer" that coulda been a meal with a salad... at a boardwalk place in Ses Side (Jersey SHore territory).  Grilled portabello, topped with thin slice of grilled chicken, slice of roasted read pepper, topped with melted mozz.  Thinking everything was cooked kinda separately??  Then stacked and under broiler till cheese bubbled.  Could stack with anything you liked... grilled onion maybe... bacon, etc.  COuld have no meat/seafood and be a meal.