or Connect

Posts by Zukerig

(Paillete) Feuilletine are crushed wafer flakes, the most common use for which is decorating iced cakes and other pastry items such as dacquoise, marjolaine, chocolate truffles, and iced soufflés. Finely crushed amaretti biscuits can be substituted.
The accompaniments are very important – for me, they show that the pastry cook has gone the necessary “extra mile” in conceptualization. Chocolate Caramel Pecan Tart & Kahlúa Whipped Cream. White Chocolate Mousse – That would be splendid in a napoléon! Serve with an orange-liqueur-spiked fruit coulis. Perhaps some white pepper in the mousse. Lemon Poppyseed Cake – Elinor Klivans offered a very good recipe for satiny lemon curd in Fine Cooking #26, pp.52-54. ...
A classic double-layered White Cake is a splendid choice for a birthday celebration: it's not overly elaborate, simply elegant in appearance and delicious. (Freezes well for up to a month, if that's advantageous.) 1 cup milk, room temp. 6 large egg whites, room temp. 1 tsp almond extract 1 tsp vanilla extract 2¼ cups cake flour 1¾ cups granulated sugar 4 tsps baking powder 1 tsp salt 6 oz. butter, softened Heat oven to 350° F. Grease two 9-inch round cake...
Turtlegirl, based upon your accompanying photo of the loaf, I offer the following probable reasons for its sponge-like interior: ►Insufficient amount of flour and/or yeast; ►Dough wasn’t kneaded long enough to build the gluten strength; ►Dough was allowed to increase too much in volume during second (in-pan) rise; ►Oven temp. wasn’t hot enough to cause the bread to rise properly during baking.
Further to your inquiry re classic puff pastry: Yes, I knead it lightly until fairly smooth, being careful not to overknead lest the dough become rubbery. Actually, it doesn’t have to be very smooth at this point, as it is rolled out later. After kneading, the détrempe is chilled for ½ hour before adding the slab of butter.
When making classic puff pastry, I roll all of the butter in the détrempe by hand. Whereas, when I make the “quick” version – well, it’s not all that quick, but there are a couple of shortcuts, so the overall time is about 4 hours – the butter is cut into the dough by the food processor’s blade. I favor four complete rolling-&-folding turns for the classic procedure, in which it is noticeably advantageous to have the détrempe and the kneaded butter as close to the same...
The variations of flourless chocolate tortes in my recipe collection are legion. I have often made this one: 10 large free-range eggs, separated and at room temp. ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsps granulated white sugar 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted slowly over hot water then cooled (I use Callebaut) 2 cups finely chopped (not ground) toasted pecans Set oven to 350° F. Beat the egg yolks & sugar until very thick and lemon colored. Stir in the chocolate. Fold in...
Novotny: The initial consideration is that using pre-cooked rice will produce a creamier pudding than using raw grains. Also, the inclusion of fresh eggs, homogenized milk, and slow baking (i.e., 300°F) in a water bath – to provide a stabilized environment in which the pudding will cook gently & evenly. If you choose to make your pudding with raw rice, please note that a short-grained (such as Arborio or “pearl”) or medium-grain rice will likely yield a creamier...
A hearty "yes!" to using a reasonable abundance of apples. Rose Levy Beranbaum (who, incidentally, isn’t adverse to using cornstarch as a thickener) offers these tips for baking apple pies: “Slice apples thinly for apple pie. Thick slices promote air space and create a gap between the fruit and the crust.” “For the purest flavor in fruit pies, macerate the fruit, capture the juices, and boil and reduce the liquid. The will decrease the amount of thickener and...
My opinion of insulated baking sheets is in exact agreement with Sucrechef's remarks. Also, when I'm concerned that the undercrust of an item might cook too rapidly, I'll set it upon an insulated sheet during the baking phase.