or Connect

Posts by ItsWhoIAM

I know exactly what you mean. I open/run kitchens in airports and we are currently in our opening phase, 4 restaurants open 4 to go. I typically have to hire 12 to 14 line cooks at a time. Add to that the fact that because we are in an airport about 70% of the cook workforce is crossed off my list. They simply can't pass the badging process. I also can't hire anyone with a record. The pickings are super slim. I try to over hire and weed out what I can. I have had some...
I don't have any employees that work in both restaurants. The problem is definitely worse in one restaurant over the other. Thanks for the advice.
Have any of you had any success reducing the small ware costs in your place. I have 2 restaurants specifically that go through ALOT of silverware, ramekins, water cups and glassware. I'm pulling my hair out. Aside from the magnetic waste container covers is there anything that has worked for you guys? I know its the FOH and not my kitchens but I've got to do something about this.
Yes, I meant potato chips, actually its a British pub, so we do have chips as in fries as well. And to answer your other question, I'm  not in a traditional setting. I'm in an airport, very small kitchen, and my own set of challenges. One of which being labor. I'm doing the best I can to add some life to a rather dull menu, while being constrained by corporate politics and policies. So the short answer is I don't have the labor to pull off this and the other labor...
@ChefChris - thanks for the heads up on the LanbWeston Product, not sure if this is the road I want to go down though, I really want to market these as "housemade"   @ChefDave Play with the following variables: - Thickness - try slicing a little bit thicker than what you're doing. - Temperature - lower temp - maybe 315 - 325 range. - Age/Quality of oil - Oil that's broken down won't brown as nicely as can give off-flavors. - Fullness of baskets/fryer.  Too...
Looking to jazz up the menu in one of my restaurants. Thought of doing some simple home made chips, the problem is the chips aren't crispy enough to hold up to the dip that I have in mind, or, when they do get crispy enough, they are very dark and taste burnt. We have rinsed in cold water to remove starch, soaked overnight to do the same, no go...Today we are going to try twice frying to see if that is the trick.   Just wanted to know if there are any other tricks or...
Your in the Detroit area and Work at Ruby Tuesday?...You in the airport?  
The young guy should be relatively easy, Find out what his goals are and let him know that you will help him get there. But he has to step up to the plate and do it. Let him know he will only go as far as his work ethic takes him. Let him know it's your JOB to push him, to make him better, faster and smarter.   The older guy is gonna bae a tougher nut to crack. Sour grapes at not getting the job makes this situation tough. People don't like change, and most times the...
IMO the answer to the question you asked can be simplified, "do you want to work, or do you want a check?" I had a couple of cooks that only wanted a check, (notice the word "had") these are the cooks that gave me problems, calling in sick on the weekends, showing up an hour late and just waltzing into the kitchen like there is no problem and the such. The thing is if your passionate about what you do, it shows. If not, well that shows too, to your boss and fellow...
This one was a co-worker me, Our Sysco delivery is late...again, and with it our fryer oil (should have had back up I know) he decides to change the fryer oil while its hot. He dumps the oil into a 60 Gal stock pot and instead of using another for the water that he scrubbed the fryer with, he just empties the drain right into the hot oil. Hot oil + cold water=big A** mess, under the fryer, the grill, the pantry station, everywhere. Took about an hour to put down the...