or Connect

Posts by PDXBread

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I have the option of going to basically any school that I choose for free by using the G.I Bill from my military service, so I will start off with no debt no matter where I go. I am extremely dedicated to learning and becoming the best at whatever I do. I started baking bread without any previous knowledge at a local bakery and while learning there I baked at home on weekends and read almost every book that I could find on the...
I have been searching for some time now about which culinary school/ institute/ academy is the best from an experienced Executive Chef's perspective. I have read things like "just go to the cheapest one" and "it doesn't really matter" as well as "choose the one with the best instructors". I think the last of those examples is fairly obvious but how do you determine which schools actually have the best instructors from the ones that just say they do. I have been in the...
     Hey there, do you know bakers percentages? If not, you should learn them. They are quite easy to use and can be very helpful in menu/recipe/catering planning. A great resource for everything dough related is "Bread" by Jeffrey Hammelman. If yes, I can give you a formula that works great for both pizza dough and french sandwich rolls. - Hi-Gluten flour or a high protein A.P, like King Arthur. - 100 % (flour will always equal 100% in formulas) - Water - 68%...