or Connect

Posts by JayCobb1045

Sadly, no.  The entire salad was in my belly before I thought to do that!
Hello all! I was on my honeymoon in St. Lucia a few years back and had a small salad with lunch. One of the greens used in the salad was truly memorable. It was bright and spicy, with a distinct clear your sinuses horseradish/wasabi type of heat at the end. I asked the manager what it was and he told me it was rocket, but no rocket/arugula that I've tasted before or since has that horseradishy character. So I've been left wondering if he was right, how can I get my hands...
@Rob Klossner I wasn't confused before, but now I am!  I've eaten at plenty of Arby's but never seen or heard of Red Ranch sauce.  On the other hand, I would describe Arby's sauce as being at least in the same family as French dressing, whereas you seem to draw a sharp distinction between Arby's sauce and Red Ranch sauce.  As a person who has experience with both, can you help clear things up by describing the differences?  Thanks!!
BJ - I'll admit I never tried scraping the seeds before hand.  I didn't find a material difference between simply using a cheesecloth, and salting prior to straining, so to avoid over seasoning, I just cook it, scrape out the seeds, shred the strands, then strain out most of the water using a cheesecloth.  It's not perfect, but it removes most of the excess moisture.
@oldschool1982 Not sure where you are in Virginia, but just the other day I discovered Grand Mart on Little River Turnkpike.  I don't know if they have aji rocoto, but they are divided into three sections - latin american, asian, and indian/middle eastern.  I specifically found a lot of packaged Peruvian food products like aji amarillo puree, jarred aji amarillo and aji limo, etc, so you might have luck.  Otherwise, there are several latin american grocery stores out...
Sounds like a Moroccan chicken pot pie, but I'm not sure if that's a thing!
It's funny you mention that, because that's one of the things that I've monkeyed with over the years to try and get the best flavor out of my ceviche!  My dad swears by Heinz in his recipe, but I find it a little too acidic whereas the south american ketchups tend to have a deeper sweet flavor to them, in my opinion.  If you're gonna go straight out of the bottle, I actually think Hunts is a little closer.  I've tried mixing in some tomato paste along with the ketchup to...
@Vic Cardenas Thanks for the information!  I've never had papas a la huancaina in Peru or even in Ecuador - it has always been here in the states and often at dodgy places.  I'm glad I asked so that if I ever make the dish myself, I know to make the extra effort and blend it smooth.     These ceviches that folks are posting make my mouth water!  I've been quite busy at work this week, but hope to get in the kitchen over the weekend so I can contribute a few entries to...
@Vic Cardenas That ceviche looks amazing!  Very different from the Ecuadorian "ceviche de camaron" that is next on my list for this thread, but then again, I'm pretty sure our version is the odd man out in the world of ceviche!     I had a question about your papas a la huancaina.  You indicate that the sauce should be blended until very smooth and velvety, but most times I've had that dish the sauce has been...grainy isn't the right word, because it isn't an unpleasant...
As a home cook, I have developed a system that is a sort of hybrid of the approaches mentioned so far in this thread.  Whenever I'm making a dish for the very first time, I research several recipes for the same dish to get a feel for what is going on in the dish.  Then I pick just one recipe from a trusted source.  Then I do follow it to the letter, but just the very first time.  I find that doing so gives me a baseline of what at least one person thinks the "standard" is...