or Connect

Posts by JayCobb1045

Sounds like a Moroccan chicken pot pie, but I'm not sure if that's a thing!
It's funny you mention that, because that's one of the things that I've monkeyed with over the years to try and get the best flavor out of my ceviche!  My dad swears by Heinz in his recipe, but I find it a little too acidic whereas the south american ketchups tend to have a deeper sweet flavor to them, in my opinion.  If you're gonna go straight out of the bottle, I actually think Hunts is a little closer.  I've tried mixing in some tomato paste along with the ketchup to...
@Vic Cardenas Thanks for the information!  I've never had papas a la huancaina in Peru or even in Ecuador - it has always been here in the states and often at dodgy places.  I'm glad I asked so that if I ever make the dish myself, I know to make the extra effort and blend it smooth.     These ceviches that folks are posting make my mouth water!  I've been quite busy at work this week, but hope to get in the kitchen over the weekend so I can contribute a few entries to...
@Vic Cardenas That ceviche looks amazing!  Very different from the Ecuadorian "ceviche de camaron" that is next on my list for this thread, but then again, I'm pretty sure our version is the odd man out in the world of ceviche!     I had a question about your papas a la huancaina.  You indicate that the sauce should be blended until very smooth and velvety, but most times I've had that dish the sauce has been...grainy isn't the right word, because it isn't an unpleasant...
As a home cook, I have developed a system that is a sort of hybrid of the approaches mentioned so far in this thread.  Whenever I'm making a dish for the very first time, I research several recipes for the same dish to get a feel for what is going on in the dish.  Then I pick just one recipe from a trusted source.  Then I do follow it to the letter, but just the very first time.  I find that doing so gives me a baseline of what at least one person thinks the "standard" is...
@lattegal The mere fact that such an incredible journey of pizza variety is even an option is reason alone for me to return to Buenos Aires!  Forget the delicious beef, the incredible wine, the people, the culture, the music - I'm going for the combination pizza!! And, of course, the provoleta.
@French Fries That's the exact stuff, down to the brand and the funny quirk of listing three different names on the bag, that I use!  You're right, you can find that in many "international" sections of large American supermarkets or certainly in almost any Latin American market.  
I always thought yuca flour was used even in Brazilian cuisine - what is it traditionally made with?
Well, I'm not so sure if it can be considered "typical" Ecuadorian, but there sure are a lot of those shops!  You know what they say - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
Pan de yuca!  Not the healthiest choice, but such a delicious snack in the morning with a hot cup of coffee!  I believe these are of Brazilian origin, but in the last several years lots of little shops have popped up around Ecuador selling these along with various flavors of yogurt (the drinkable kind, not like the kind we see here in the states).     Yuca flour (also called yuca starch), with a little baking powder and salt.   Lots of shredded cheese.  I use a...