or Connect

Posts by JayCobb1045

Hmmmm, I want to say nam sod but the green beans are throwing me off.
I was home to visit my folks this weekend and my mom and I made fanesca.  This is an Ecaudorian soup/stew traditionally eaten only during holy week.  I wasn't going to be home during holy week, and it is Lent, so I felt justified preparing and eating this dish a few weeks early.  Also, it's delicious and I couldn't resist.     Each household has its own twist on it, but the basic components are a variety of grains and legumes, peanuts/peanut butter, and salt cod (can't...
Hmmm, could it be pork shoulder or pork meatball banh mi??
Oh, one more thing.  The Chilean sandwiches that Phatch posted are excellent!  There used to be (Google just informed me that it has since closed) a sandwich shop in Boston called Chacarero which served these sandwiches.  I'm not sure if there was anything else on the menu, but there may as well not have been.  This place had lines around the block during lunchtime on a weekday, all clamoring for one of these sandwiches.  It was so good that a few places tried to rip them...
I've been away from this forum for some time - mostly because I've been busy with work and haven't had the chance to enjoy myself in the kitchen much.  I am incredibly excited to come back after my hiatus to find the monthly challenge is South American food!  I'm Ecuadorian and while I have a few solid traditional recipes under my belt, this will really inspire and motivate me to dig deep into the old family cookbooks and maybe even get my grandmother on the phone to show...
Buffalo Squared   Braised buffalo short ribs tossed in some delicious home made spicy buffalo sauce.  Blue cheese spread smeared on the bread, and topped with a light slaw/salad of sweet and sour (think bread and butter) pickled celery and fennel shaved super thin.
dcarch - hopefully those two posters who talked about the soft shell sushi will see this, but FYI it's a three year old thread that I just added to with my request for suggestions with that recipe.     Either way, it is sound advice to not eat them raw!
I am a fan of soft shell crabs, but have never prepared them.  I have researched how to clean them, and that seems straightforward enough.  I plan on breaking them down into manageable pieces, then sauteeing with capers, garlic, shallot, lemon, and asparagus, then tossing with some pasta (for final results see this month's challenge thread!).  Here's the question - what do you guys think about adding anchovies to the mix?  I feel like the salty briny deal would pair well...
Chris - our Ecuadorian locro doesn't include buttermilk or the other garnishes you added, but the texture sounds very similar.  It's sort of a mix between a puree, a soup, and chunky "smashed" potatoes.  Fresh avocado slices and cheese often garnish it, and some places offer crumbled chorizo on top as well, though I think that takes away from the potato-ey goodness!   I usually add some sour cream when I make mashed potatoes at home, so I totally understand the sour...
Inspired by a few other posters who went the Asian route, I decided to have a go at a Thai shrimp noodle dish.  It's not quite pad thai, and I'm sure there's a proper name for what I've done here, but I don't know it.  Anyhow, it was fairly easy to make and on a weeknight, that is important!   Started by prepping red bell, bean sprouts, cilantro, green onion, shallot, lime, garlic, ginger, and tamarind pulp.       Bashed up some palm sugar, two lime...