or Connect

Posts by JayCobb1045

I always thought yuca flour was used even in Brazilian cuisine - what is it traditionally made with?
Well, I'm not so sure if it can be considered "typical" Ecuadorian, but there sure are a lot of those shops!  You know what they say - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
Pan de yuca!  Not the healthiest choice, but such a delicious snack in the morning with a hot cup of coffee!  I believe these are of Brazilian origin, but in the last several years lots of little shops have popped up around Ecuador selling these along with various flavors of yogurt (the drinkable kind, not like the kind we see here in the states).     Yuca flour (also called yuca starch), with a little baking powder and salt.   Lots of shredded cheese.  I use a...
Hmmmm, I want to say nam sod but the green beans are throwing me off.
I was home to visit my folks this weekend and my mom and I made fanesca.  This is an Ecaudorian soup/stew traditionally eaten only during holy week.  I wasn't going to be home during holy week, and it is Lent, so I felt justified preparing and eating this dish a few weeks early.  Also, it's delicious and I couldn't resist.     Each household has its own twist on it, but the basic components are a variety of grains and legumes, peanuts/peanut butter, and salt cod (can't...
Hmmm, could it be pork shoulder or pork meatball banh mi??
Oh, one more thing.  The Chilean sandwiches that Phatch posted are excellent!  There used to be (Google just informed me that it has since closed) a sandwich shop in Boston called Chacarero which served these sandwiches.  I'm not sure if there was anything else on the menu, but there may as well not have been.  This place had lines around the block during lunchtime on a weekday, all clamoring for one of these sandwiches.  It was so good that a few places tried to rip them...
I've been away from this forum for some time - mostly because I've been busy with work and haven't had the chance to enjoy myself in the kitchen much.  I am incredibly excited to come back after my hiatus to find the monthly challenge is South American food!  I'm Ecuadorian and while I have a few solid traditional recipes under my belt, this will really inspire and motivate me to dig deep into the old family cookbooks and maybe even get my grandmother on the phone to show...
Buffalo Squared   Braised buffalo short ribs tossed in some delicious home made spicy buffalo sauce.  Blue cheese spread smeared on the bread, and topped with a light slaw/salad of sweet and sour (think bread and butter) pickled celery and fennel shaved super thin.
dcarch - hopefully those two posters who talked about the soft shell sushi will see this, but FYI it's a three year old thread that I just added to with my request for suggestions with that recipe.     Either way, it is sound advice to not eat them raw!