or Connect

Posts by DenverVeggieNut

Blue steel does have a hair more corrosion resistance than white steel, but in either case, it is generally the cladding that is what is most reactive, not the core steel, and the cladding can be all over the map as far as reactivity. I've got a mono steel white #2 knife with a solid patina, and find it to be very UN-reactive, whereas I have a blue #2 knife that has a very reactive cladding, and I used to have a Tojiro ITK knife that was white #2 and the cladding on that...
The Suien VC cleaver is a little longer than you may want, but full height and has a good bit of belly: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/suien-vc-chinese-cleaver.html Great steel, stays sharp a long time.   
 Wouldn't it be easier just to learn how to sharpen knives? Sharper knives whenever you want (and sharper than they come when new), and you don't have to throw away 140 knives over a ten-year period. 
I'm with Millions on the Idahone. I have one, but find I rarely use it. It is probably just the thing for softer German knives. I strop on balsa wood with CBN slurry. Also, I've read that the Kikuichi TKC is pretty much the same as the less expensive Carbonext, with the only difference being the rounded spine and choil on the TKC, IIRC. I'd save the bucks and round the spine/choil myself with wet/dry sandpaper. YMMV, and I could have it wrong.   I've got the Fujiwara FKM...
That Konosuke came with a custom aftermarket handle, and they can be pricey, so not apples to apples. But yes, in general, knives on the the kitchen knife forums buy/sell/trade seem to go for more than you might expect... which makes it a nice place to sell knives! I bought my Zakuri gyuto there for $165, retail at JKI was $210. When I sold it a few months later in similar condition, I netted $148, so it cost me $17 to try it for a while.
Sounds like a really good trio. That petty in particular should be a joy to sharpen.
That looks like a pretty good list to me. The two big decisions are what gyuto to get and how to sharpen it. It sounds like you've been reading a lot of BDL's old posts. Sabatier, Masamoto KS, Richmond Ultimatum, Konosuke HD. Not the only choices, in my book, even though BDL is quite convincing and those are just the ones he wrote about at length.   If you're looking for a Western stainless gyuto, what you might do is to get a Fujiwara FKM and learn to sharpen on it....
Here's one option, from Jon at Japanese Knife Imports: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives-12/kitchen-knives/gesshin-uraku/gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html $155   Wa, stainless, supposedly a decent grind. There are all sorts of options $190-$270 (Gesshin Ginga, Sakai Yusuke from Blueway Japan on ebay, but you might start lower on the chain and see what you like and learn how to sharpen.   For a board:         Get some mineral oil from...
Good info, thanks! I'm sure others will chime in with more detailed information and specific recommendations, but I'd just like to reiterate my excitement about the experience you have ahead for yourself for sharpening, whatever knife you get. Learning to put your own edge on is a great skill, and will serve you well going forward...
You've got a good start on things in knowing what knives you need- your core set is most people's core set. Your budget will get you pretty far, too. Very nice gyutos can be had for $200-250, and petties and bread knives are less. The key thing is to get a knife that works with your workflow in the kitchen and cutting style, and then learn how to sharpen it yourself. Do you like to rock chop a lot? Is wiping down a knife frequently and cleaning it before you sit down to...