or Connect

Posts by DenverVeggieNut

Yes, I had the ITK for a good while, about 22 months. I didn't find forcing a patina with mustard was particularly helpful. The core white steel was pretty much OK, but the cladding really reacted with everything. I think it is the impurities in the steel of the cladding. The last straw was when I tried to use warm vinegar to force a patina to try to fix the reactiveness. The vinegar just took off all the kurouchi finish, and left the whole thing even more reactive than...
Hope you are feeling better! Not that obsessing about knives is a bad way to pass an illness... Anyway, the Tojiro ITK could be an interesting entry for you into the J-knife world. I had one of the 120mm petties. It got nice and sharp, but the handle sucked and it was very reactive. So, it sort of shows you a little bit of what is possible, but has you wishing for more. I got the ITK petty, and also a Fujiwara FKM petty. I sold the ITK, but still have the Fujiwara. The...
  1- Yes.   2- It depends on the knife. With some san mai knives, the outer layer can rust very quickly, in a very few minutes. Whereas, I've got a solid white #2 carbon-steel cleaver that i use a bunch. With it, I'm pretty much OK as long as I rinse and dry it before we sit down to eat. The knife will tell you what it needs. See #3.   3- Orange, red, or yellow rust is bad. If you want to go with a patina for easier care, the other colors are OK. It is very hard to...
I've got a Fujiwara FKM petty that I like, and I've heard good things about the chef's knife in that same series. Black handle, nice fit and finish, kanji on the blade.    Where did the OP say he wanted a 270mm chef's knife? Did I miss something?   Whether you choose Fujiwara or Carbonext or Tojiro or something else, that is less important than how you sharpen the knives. With a little practice, you can get knives quite sharp with water stones, and you don't have to...
That's a pretty diverse lot. 2 carbon steel, 2 stainless and 1 semi-stainless. 2 wa handles and 3 western. So, just make a flow chart of sorts: 1- Do I have the tools and knowledge to thin a knife, or do i know someone who does? Sounds like the answer to this one is no, so throw out the Artifex.2- Am I OK with wiping the knife down frequently? And I don't need to be able to leave the knife on the board dirty while I eat? If yes, go carbon for ease of sharpening: Misono or...
I think so. The kanji are the same, as far as I can see, just a slightly different layout. I got mine from CKtG around 14 months ago and it looks like the one on the right. I have seen another logo that looks very different, but I think they are all the same knife.
Patina is your friend. That being said, I've heard that, with somewhat more effort, you can keep a carbon steel knife shiny. Chefs in Japan use a hunk of daikon radish and some abrasive powder on the blade after every shift.   Here's some more info from a similar thread: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/60602/caring-for-carbon-steel-knives-in-a-kitchen   Here's my hitachi white #2 cleaver after about 10 months or so of use:  
I think the OP's idea to see one in person is a good one. Swiping the ITK on a steel didn't help much with the burr. Like I said, it is a honking big burr. You can see it easily. Maybe I should have returned it, but it was a gift. Due to a gift-giving screw up, I actually ended up with two and my wife tried to return the second one new in the box to CKtG, but they refused it because we were outside the 30-day window. We gave it to my in-laws unopened. I'll have to check...
 I don't know, with the ITK at $60 (CKtG) and the MAC at $90 (Cutlery and More or Amazon), I'd be inclined to go with the MAC, just based on my experience. What's your method for getting rid of a big burr on a scalloped-edge knife? I've heard that if you get a wooden dowel that's about the same diameter as the rounds of the scallops, then wrap fine wet-dry sandpaper around the dowel, you can sharpen scalloped edges, but I just haven't gotten around to hassling with that yet.
I've got a Tojiro ITK. It hasn't really wowed me at all. It came with a honking big bur along the edge. That's not the worst thing in the world with a non-serrated knife, but with a serrated knife, I find it unacceptable. I'd say either save some money and get a Victorinox or a cheapie white-handle job from your local kitchen supply house, or spend a little bit more and get the MAC. My 2 cents. John