or Connect

Posts by Spock

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You raise some good points. It does seem to me, however, that ordering videos and asking questions here is exactly like an online course. I agree with your points on critiquing knife cuts/techniques or recipes, but as I am primarily looking for the theoretical base knowledge,rather than the practical skills, it seems to me it should work. Essentially, an (series of) e books or online content that presents the same information as is...
Agreed, 400 USD is not a fortune if I am certain the course will meet my needs, am certain of the quality and I am certain I will stick with it. The last is primarily up to me but will also go to the previous two points. When you wrote you hope they start adding more content, does that mean that the available content is incomplete and or that development seems to have stopped? 
Thanks. Tried to check it out but got no further than finding out they are full up and and their is a waiting list. Near as I can determine, this is a professional school, just online. Never got to find out what enrolling would cost if they weren't full, but since they stress the pupil/teaching staff ratio as being important, I IMAGINE it is probably a bit on the expensive side for someone who just wants to reach a new level in one of his (many) hobbies. I expect...
Hi all! I've been cooking for some time and can make most recipes. I would like to take it up a notch and learn a lot more than just following a recipe though, learn the how and why that is the way it should be done, what is compatible, what is not and why. In short, some time before I die, I would like to be something approaching a fully fledged competent home chef. However, this is a hobby. I don't have the time to go back to school nor do I want to spend a...
Thanks all and special thanks "phatch"! Exactly what I was looking for. Just to clarify on availability, I am in Eastern Europe (former Soviet occupied territory) not Western Europe, where I am sure you can get everything you could get in the U.S.   Cast iron is also available here, but I have not found any of the brand names. The no name stuff more widely available here is very reasonable, I can get a 10" skillet starting about 14 USD, but did not really know if...
Thanks Pohaku and Chairlady, some good points. My question, however, is not so much about used pieces as between new name brand and non name brand pieces. Maybe this is even the wrong forum... maybe I need to find one for metalurgy ;D It seems to me that cast iron is not space age technology. Surely a foundry in China can do as good a job as a foundry in the states. If so, does it make sense to pay three or four times more for a Lodge pan than a no name one. On...
I just recently became turned on to cooking with cast iron cookware, so lots of shopping to do. Lots of advice out there as to who the major players are who do produce quality cookware, but I have still to find any discussion as to what determines quality. I am assuming all pieces should be single cast. Ergonomics should play a role... things like having a second lifting handle on larger pieces, but what else?   Cast Iron is porous... is there an ideal...