or Connect

Posts by Jzone

I had a similar conundrum a couple years ago after oystering on Vancouver Island... so my wife I had did an oyster night and had them about 7 different ways :) Some favs were... bacon cheddar baked oysters (pretty much how it sounds, play with it how ever you like, I trust you :) ) shallot/garlic/butter/curry powder/gruyere mixture baked on. condensed milk and crumbled soda crackers. Apparently this is a classic newfie way to do them and I was hugely sceptical... It...
The first time I ever had capers (and still one of my favorites) is with cream cheese and smoked salmon on bagels. Some sliced red onion or tomato work quite well too. That would definitely be my recommendation for a first time caper experience. (about 1 tsp of capers per bagel half should work) Now, if you don't like smoked salmon, a caper parsley sauce or caper and random herb sauce would be a great start too. It works great for dipping grilled meats or with fish...
I keep some frozen things on hand for just such an occasion, usually do up batches of lasagna, cabbage rolls, chili, pasta sauce etc and just throw them in the oven when I get home. But if I don't have that around I often go for tacos/fajitas. Takes 20 mins, reasonably healthy and filling. I make my own seasoning so dont have to worry about a package being around, (and the tons of extra salt in them). And I often have the hard shells in a ziplock in the cupboard....
It took me a few years when I started using a microwave, but I seem to have the defrosting thing down pretty good now. At least my wife thinks so :) In general I will not thaw fish in the nuker, it is the only one that tends to cook a little no matter how careful you are because it is so delicate. But, this is a good thing in a way because just about any piece of fish will thaw quickly in a vacu seal bag and a bowl of cool water. As for chicken, I treat it about the...
Hi all, I am currently BBQ shopping and considering an infrared grill as one of the 4 burners (other 3 still gas) I've heard good things about them for searing etc, but was hoping to find some reviews not done by the companies selling them :-) If anyone here has one or even knows someone that has one and has any advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
about $400 Canadian at Lumiere in Vancouver BC for 2 of us. (not including tip) That was for the Chefs tasting menu with wine flight. Definitely worth it, still the best meal I've ever had. Had many close to that price now and none have compared.
One of my absolute favorite soups! My wife and I were in Bangkok for a few weeks and couldn't get enough of it. Once we got back it was a necessity to be able to make it ourselves. A couple of the things we do different than the recipe list are... Get whole prawns with head on and make a stock out of the heads and shells. The head fat adds an absolutely required flavor to the soup. Slices of galangal (or ginger if hard to find) are are must for us. As already...
So first off, I assume you are not pounding your chicken breasts flat? You might try putting them between two sheets of plastic wrap and beating them to just less than a 1/4 inch thick. anything flat and heavy will work, even the base o your hand. This will ensure even cooking throughout the meat and will probably take less time than 8 min per side. I you're already doing this I am confused because what you are describing should not happen... Good luck.
Not an expert here, but basically its used for clarifying liquids such as stocks for consomme etc. I believe you mix the whites with ground beef and some other stuff and it floats then sinks in the stock and leaves it very clear and yummy :-) Feel free to elaborate anyone with a better explanation... Jason
I don't know what your lifestyle is... But egg whites are one of the best complete proteins around. They are used by athletes and bodybuilders to supplement their diet etc. I use them in protein shakes in the mornings with milk and fruit. 3 or 4 egg whites, a banana, cup or so of milk and any other flavor you like (chocolate syrup, instant coffee etc) in a blender for a minute. Add any sort of carb if you eat them and its a great quick breakfast.