or Connect

Posts by salparadise

@panini I don't think they'll act differently on electric. I have electric and it works fine. @kbuser92 I haven't noticed a tendency to pick up flavors. There are many brands making a tri-ply line these days. They're all going to be in the same price range as vollrath. I've used tramontana and didn't think the heat distribution was as good, but that's subjective impression. Calphalon and Cuisinart make tri-ply lines and I assume they're good, but don't think they're...
At first you'll have a thin coating and will want to be careful, but after awhile it will build up and become more durable. I use a metal spatula with mine all the time and it doesn't scratch the coating, however, I once tried a new spatula that had raw edge and it did scratch it. So I worked the edge with a file to get it smooth and now it's fine. You'll need to be careful about scrubbing too much with soap and abrasive pads. Best to just wipe it out with a sponge or...
Once seasoned, which is easy, the carbon steel will be non-stick enough to fry eggs. It's also the best for searing and high heat uses. It's not recommended for acidic foods like tomatoes, but you can still add few to a veggie mix without hurting anything. You just don't want to boil a pan full of them. I have a large stainless sauté pan for that purpose. They're workhorses and great value. I have three. The large(12") gets used the most by far.
Kyle, Congratulations on the electricity and internet- movin' on up!   Use the search function on here to find threads containing Vollrath Tribute. This is the stainless that I'd recommend for the sauce pan, and the others if you're dead set on stainless.   However, what I think is better in the frying pan category is carbon steel. De Buyer is the go-to brand for this. 10 inch pan should be under $40. Carbone line as they're much less expensive than Mineral and I...
 The only other 12" lid I have (calphalon) doesn't fit as well as the Vollrath. Realistically, you don't need a tight fitting lid for a stock pot, just a cover to hold in the heat, so they perform fine. I've never had occasion to dislike them from the utilitarian perspective. You could try this one by Farberware and return it if it doesn't fit. Finding lids for 6-8 pieces would be a headache so I'm now glad I went ahead and bought them even if they aren't optimal. Congrats...
 No, it's mostly a matter of aesthetics. I am sensitive to aesthetics, maybe even a bit anal sometimes, about some things. It doesn't much bother me that my $39 dutch oven is stained, but if I pony up for the Le Creuset I don't want it to look the same after a few months. It's a lifetime investment and I would prefer that it look nice, which enhances my enjoyment overall. I have a friend who has one that's badly stained and my first thought was, uh, that it is not...
 Interesting! I appreciate the insight. I did some googling and see that the Staub is interior is dark. They emphasize that the enamel is a durable matt finish and does not discolor. User comments support that assertion. I'm finding mixed reviews on the current Le Ceuset interior. I know that older ones stained, but what I don't know if whether they've changed the enamel and made it more stain resistant. Some descriptions allude to that but don't elaborate. As much as I...
 I have quite a bit of Tribute clad cookware including an eight quart stock pot. You're right about stainless being durable and easier to maintain, but the enameled cast iron is in a class by itself for certain applications and I see it as an essential piece. My Tramontina 6.5 quart is perfectly functional, so it's not a matter of choosing between types. I'm just trying to justify grabbing this Le Creuset at a bargain price. Stain resistance would be a reason, and I must...
I have a chance to pick up a Le Creuset 7 1/4 quart dutch oven at a bargain price. $199, new, not a second. I have a Tramontina 6 quart that I've been using for about 3 years and it is stained inside. I cleaned it by soaking in a water/bleach solution (and scrubbing) and on the next use it stained agin immediately. I paid $39 for this dutch oven and it performs extremely well (ranked close to LC in cooks illustrated test, now discontinued).   So I guess I'm willing to...
For me, decent cookware and kitchen tools make the difference between truly enjoying the experience vs. dreading and avoiding. You can always argue that you don't literally "need" a better pan, but thin stainless is simply not in the same class with aluminum, copper and clad with respect to steady, even heating.   We all have different thresholds. There are folks on here who buy All Clad, Demeyere, and Mauviel, and others who are happy with the cheapest thing that will...