or Connect

Posts by saxien

Mine bought directly from Japan have no English printed on the other side--F-806-F-809-F503, probably domestic issue  
Well guy's, I just bought 3 Tojiro's direct from Japan, a 170mm DP Santuko, a 240mm DP Gyuto, and a 270mm DP Sujihiki, these knives are sharp as and very well finished, except for the very end of the handles which for some reason they have left very sharp angled-will fix that presently, I'm in Australia and these knives got to me in three days, I did notice that these knives only had Kanji on one side and no English print on the other, must be Japanese local issue, they...
"The profile of the blade from the edge to the spine seems to be somewhat convex as well and it's difficult to set the blade flat on the platform without very slight rocking (defeating the purpose of such a well designed sharpening system)   Also somewhat distressing is how this knife is described on their web site:"   I think in one of Ben's video's he used a small balsa wood fillet and taped it to the platform to raise part of the knife
Hi Mark,   I noticed that a few Aussies have now found your excellent website and video's (I'm a big fan, as a newbie in this field) but are being put off by the high single knife postage costs, understandable of course from half way around the world but here is a part of a post from down here just for your info--   Check the ratings and the Artifex is really highly regarded – basically they've gone minimalist on everything so they can have super dooper steel in...
Jeez , I love the look of those Hattori  HD damascus series knives, but Koki advised me--   You are currently interested in Hattori FH Series.   We can recomend Hattori's high level of quality, fine making process and his great policy for making knives.  We believe Hattori FH knives are one of best quality, most practical, great stainless steel kitchen knives for professionals and serious users.   Hattori HD knives have more thinner edge, and HD knife's edge...
Hi, yep, of course there is no chance that these previously small workshops with their family figureheads could ever supply a world market, this is clear and as the Japanese knives which previously were regarded as exclusive rarities have gained  popularity with these old family names, the factories now taking full advantage of that relationship are now churning out these blades are marketing them off the old guys-who mostly look on their last legs, what's your opinion...
Just a question of BDL, It seems that maybe the Hattori name, and quite a few others are now being exploited by mass blade producers , and many of these old craftsmen are now only figureheads maybe only inspecting the others products, Hattori knife prints look cheap to me, what about others in this category?, can you point me in the right direction here?, thanks cob
Thank you for your reply, I have always wanted at least one good kitchen knife, just for me, one which my wife wont wreck, I have drawers full of cheap trash she keeps buying, every one without exception is blunt as, which is probably good as she has no idea how to use a knife it seems, (the steel got thrown out as it was old and worn out ??) I have watched her cut herself numerous times with edge up cutting towards herself mid air, it makes me shudder and if I say...
Hi All, First post, As a new member who has just found these very interesting forums, I have a question for someone who may be able to help, I am considering my first Japanese knive's, but as a left hander I was wondering about the different bevels-ie 60/40-70/30, I have seen some nice western style 50/50 bevel knives but the bevels on some others I like the look of are meant for right handers, would I notice much of a difference or difficulty in using  say a 60/.40...