or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

Ditch the Tim Ferriss. He is not a cookbook writer, a cook or, even, a knowledgeable food writer. He is a food supplement entrepreneur, an angel investor, a tech consultant and a self-styled  lifestyle guru who has written facile books on living the life of the wealthy while only working 4 hours a week, building your body on 4 hours of exercise a week, etc. He knows nothing of value on food or cooking. I sell books for a living. I would never recommend this book to...
Most of the Cuisinart care info tells you not to heat it over very high heat. Barkeeps's Friend--the powder variety, not the liquid- is good for keeping it clean & shiny without marring it. Depending on which line you have, the utensils you should use will vary.They do not recommend using metal utensils on almost any of their lines.     Here is a simple comparison chart they produce with the basic care instructions for each of their cookware...
My model is so old it hasn't  been made for years--possibly decades. The company no longer exists. I will keep it for as long as it lasts because it is very, very simple and, so,  has outlasted many of my neighbors' newer models by years.   I was just looking at one neighbor's stove (her third in the time I've had my ancient one) and I never realized before that it is even narrower than mine. Hers is 20 inches wide. She never, ever bakes anything because she can't fit...
That looks heavenly!   Another nice addition when you are roasting with garlic and rosemary is to stuff half an anchovy into the incisions along with the garlic and rosemary. The anchovies sort of disappear, leaving behind only their umami essence.
You might want to look at how the spice entries in The Flavor Bible and The Vegetarian Flavor Bible by Karen Page and Andrew Dorenburg are laid out.
I also posted in your oven thread.   You are starting with what seems to me a terrible recipe if, indeed, you have posted it as written. I'm hoping there is some liquid added at some point before you put that pot in the oven. Usually before you put meat in to braise, you brown it well first.   I'm not sure what he means by a pan-saver. I think if you are going to try to do this in a stock pot rather than a thicker walled cast iron dutch oven, you might want to lower...
I'm not sure where you are located. In the States the smaller stoves are 24" wide. I don't think they make them any narrower. Unfortunately, I have one in my kitchen that fits into the space between two cabinets so I am stuck with that width.   I am not happy with the size of that oven for a multitude of reasons but my 6 qt dutch oven fits in it just fine. Nothing else will while it is in there. With an oven that size, you can only fit one piece of cookware at a time, no...
For an excellent introduction to basics and American cooking, definitely Joy of Cooking.   Look for the 75th Anniversary Edition rather than the 1997 Revised Edition, which many people actively dislike because they believe the book was ruined by that revision's emphasis on healthier cooking, the removal of some well-loved recipes,  and the introduction of guest chef "editors" for each chapter. The newer, 75th Anniversary Edition restores much of what people loved about...
Are you asking about how long a bottle of uncorked white table wine will keep?   Or are you specifically asking about one of those bottles of something actually called & sold as  white "cooking wine?"   If it's the latter, it's never going to taste good, no matter how recently you opened the bottle.   For table wine, the usual rule of thumb is three days in the refrigerator if you are going to drink it.   I've used uncorked bottles in cooking that have been open a...
I don't think, in the states at least, that French cuisine is "underrated."  And the argument that French cuisine is somehow objectively "the best" across the board is just plain silly. And, as others have pointed out--Which French Cuisine are you talking about? From Brittany? Provence? Alsace? Paris? Southwest France?  I have one extensive cookbook just on the breads of France and they are many and varied, the standard baguette notwithstanding. I also have a number of...