or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

The latest food safety recommendation from the USDA in the States is to NOT rinse poultry or meat, in order to prevent spreading any surface bacteria around the kitchen via water droplets.    That surface bacteria will be killed by the high temperatures of the cooking process. I think it was Jacques Pepin who once said that any bacterial that had survived a 450 degree oven for the hour it takes to roast a chicken deserved to kill him.   It's hard to break the rinsing...
Ginger root is a tough one. It's one of those things I feel like I always need to have on hand, since I eat a lot of Indian and E. Asian dishes. But, I've thrown out more little pieces of ginger than I care to think about.   I've tried it in. I've tried it out. Sometimes it dries out. Sometimes it gets unpleasantly squishy. I've tried storing it in a jar of sherry in the refrigerator with some success. I haven't tried freezing it but I like the fresh flavor of freshly...
Chefross--I'm interested in why you never store the potatoes, garlic, shallots, etc,. together. I keep them together in a bowl but I feel like the garlic sprouts too quickly--is there something about storing those things together that I should know?
Eggs IN   Butter IN --I use it more to bake than to spread, anyway, so it needs to be cold and I don't go through it that quickly.   Peanut Butter--OUT. I buy the kind that separates and it gets too hard in. Plus, I eat it almost daily, so a jar doesn't stick around long enough to get nasty.   Vegetables--half & half. IN for Tender ones except for tomatoes which never go in. Root vegetables and hard squashes OUT.   Fruit--Stone fruit OUT until it is ripe, then IN....
Oh my goodness. That sounds absolutely fabulous. It's not even breakfast time here yet but my mouth is watering just thinking about eating that.
It occurs to me that I've never had a Rob Roy. Scotch seems to have fallen out of favor. I do like the resurgence of Rye in the past few years. Maybe Scotch will make a similar comeback.   The very large and lovely used bookstore across from my office closed to move away last week, In my panic buying of the past few weeks I found many good contemporary cookbooks but also this:    1958 and just as terrible as you would expect.   I also found...
Maybe rice just seems to be a bigger food poisoning risk just because it is so commonly served?   I hadn't ever heard that rice is a common cause of food borne illness.   There is a Middle Eastern bakery near me that makes absolutely delicious  "ancient grains" dolma with a mix of several different grains. It's the only way I ever eat quinoa. There are 6 or 7 different grains in their filling. You probably need at least one that is a little sticky to hold things...
Hmmm...No, lemon salt. I think I could be down with that. THAT sounds like a flavored salt that might be useful in a lot of ways.   I might be re-thinking the idea that I absolutely do not need to add another jar of anything to my bulging cupboard stuffed with herbs, spices, vinegar and various condiments.   Lack of space is another reason I resist adding things that I feel cannot do something necessary better than some other option.
If I want smoke flavor, I use smoked paprika or chipotle. The few times I've tried to use a smoked salt, I found the smoke flavoring way too heavy and kind of chemically-tasting. I felt like I was eating the soggy, charred timbers of a burnt building after the fire department had doused the flames.   I use fresh herbs, mostly, dry occasionally. I kind of can't imagine using dried herbs in a finishing salt.    I'm with Koukou when she says dried parsley is a flavorless...
Yes. There are much more interesting holidays with very inexpensive traditional foods on the menus.   Passover:   http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/856603/jewish/Passover-Recipes.htm   Cinco de Mayo:   http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/cinco-de-mayo.html   Diwali--Indian Festival of Lights:   http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/diwali-recipes-diwali-snacks-sweets/   Nowruz--Persian New...