or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

Oh, @OregonYeti, I was thinking there is no one food I feel this way about but then you mentioned India. Never been, but there is a kind of sev available in the self-serve snack bins at one of the grocery stores in the S. Asian neighborhood here that I cannot bring home in any but the most moderate quantities. I could eat it by the pound.
I'm an adventurous home cook with many other very good cooks as friends and cupboards stuffed with every ethnic ingredient you can imagine, but I'm not a serious foodie.That just seems like more expense, effort, and seriousness than I can expend. My day-to-day food is always very healthful. I have many good ethnic markets with good, fresh, interesting vegetables I like to make cakes. Everyone smiles at you when you walk down the street carrying a cake.    Blogs I visit...
I wonder if a longer rest in the brine would help. I thought 12 hours did not seem like enough time.
The war in the former Yugoslavia brought many Bosnian refugees to my neighborhood and with them came new-to-me foods. One of my favorites was a roasted pepper and eggplant condiment called Ajvar. There are mild and hot varieties, imported in jars from Turkey, Croatia, Macedonia, and Bosnia. It may not be easily found everywhere, but a healthy spoonful of the mild variety transformed my tuna salad recipe from tasty to delicious. It's good on eggs and in egg salad, too. It...
There are several good fusion places here in Chicago--mostly quick, take out places. Most of them seem to be Korean + some other cuisine.   Bop n Grill--Korean/burger place. Their kimchi burger and umami burgers are fabulous.   http://www.bngrill.com/   Big and Little's fish and  Poke tacos are delicious.   http://www.bigandlittleschicago.com/menus     Urban Belly and Belly Shack--also Korean + fusion. Both...
I really don't think you need pectin as an additive unless you want it to be a very firm jelly.  Homemade, natural pectin is made by boiling apple skins and cores or crabapples themselves and reducing the liquid. 
If you have a Halal butcher in your area, I'd suggest looking there for the lamb.They sell a lot of it, whether they are Middle Eastern or South Asian.   If they also happen to be Middle Eastern, rather than South Asian, and you tell them what you want to make, you're golden. They'll be happy to fix you right up--and will probably be happy to give you recipe suggestions to boot.
I've made it with a friend the last couple of years. Rock hard little crab-apples. PITA to cut up. Very seedy. Wouldn't want to even try to put that mess through a food mill. They do have enough pectin that I've never added any. One batch we made didn't seem to be setting up,so we cooked the bejesus out of it. It became very dark, a bit syrupy thick and somewhat caramelized and it was AWESOME. I love the stuff. I've used it instead of current jelly as a glaze as well.
Find a fruit market. Learn how to cook what is in season and on sale. I buy almost nothing edible at the grocery store, though I do look at the sales flyer every week (on line) to see what is on sale in the meat department. I often buy the "value pack" of chicken thighs, take it home and break it down into portions for the freezer. Pork butt is another thing I look for. Pulled pork, pork stews, pork roast...delicious. A whole chicken is another boon if found on sale....
I am so excited about this. I'm still on this stupid restrictive diet. Facing a Chicago winter with no cheese, no booze, and no sausage was making me despondent. My social life during a winter here pretty much revolves around gatherings where those 3 things are built into the event. But this is low fat so it should be fine. And, living in Porkopolis, tenderloin goes on sale a lot. I have a freezer full of them because for awhile I was buying one or two every time they went...