or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

Just using instant yeast will not give you a sourdough bread. You need some sort of fermented starter and a slow rise for the finished loaf to have that sour tang. 
Brother Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice is an amazing, amazing book. He walks you through several different types of starters. After using the book for a few months, I was able to not only make breads from his recipes, but could also turn out a decent loaf without even needing a recipe based on the principles I learned in that book. Crust and Crumb, also by him, is kind of the Cliff Notes version.   I passed up a used copy of his Artisan Breads Every Day a...
This is the one I have. I don't use it 30X a year but it seems plenty sturdy. It's a French company, but the mill is now made in China.   http://www.cutleryandmore.com/miu/stainless-steel-food-mill-p125829     It's also for sale on Amazon but for $20 more.      
It looks like the 1941 edition of the Escoffier Cookbook without a dust jacket was blue with the title stamped in gold foil.    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11828664-the-escoffier-cookbook-a-guide-to-the-fine-art-of-cookery   And, there are ebay offers for several copies of at least one edition with a black dust jacket with the title in gold, You could probably ask the sellers if the recipe you are looking for is in the index of the copy they are...
You can also do the quick soak method:   Cover with water by about 2 inches Bring to a boil over high heat Boil for one minute Remove from heat and cover Let Soak for one hour Drain beans Re-cover with water and cook according to recipe
I used butternut squash because a butternut squash was the oldest squash I had hanging around my kitchen. I bought a couple of different kinds of squashes last time they were dirt cheap at my neighborhood's Mexican fruit market, which is also where I got the chilis. Big bags of them, so I'll be eating this stew or variations thereof all winter, I think.   Kabocha or pumpkin would work, too.   There are lots of variations on pork/squash/chili stews. They are...
Read that Slow Cooking is the challenge while this stew was on the stove. Pork, squash & chili stew.   Chunks of pork shoulder rubbed with lots of garlic, fresh ground coriander, roasted cumin, salt and pepper chilled for several hours, then browned.   Sauce made of toasted guajillo and chilis de arbol, soaked in hot water & combined in a blender with lots of garlic and a large onion. Add to pot with another (sauteed) onion and more garlic and reduce.   Return the...
Yeah...I'm gonna get right on clicking on that link to an unnamed "cookbook" with "clickbank" as part of the address, posted by someone who has just "joined" Cheftalk today.
I've made this twice today and both times it came out too sloppy/wet to use at room temperature.   I used:   2 egg whites 1/2 c sugar  1 stick of butter lemon zest   Whisked the egg whites and sugar in a double boiler until I couldn't feel the grains of sugar anymore.   Put it in the mixer and beat it until it was glossy/fluffy/forming stiff peaks and the bowl was room temperature to the touch, 8-10 minutes.   Added the room temp butter a bit at a time. mixing...
You can actually find current jelly where I live, even in the terrible chain grocery store in my neighborhood, but it's always on the very top shelf and, yes, a little dusty looking.   I did find frozen raspberries in syrup yesterday in the fancy schmancy grocery store that recently opened near me. I've avoided that place for months but I couldn't find superfine sugar at the newly remodled and "improved" (not) chain store, so I made the trip. The new store is seriously...