or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

I love sardines! I eat those bones, skin and all, without batting an eyelash. Something about the size of salmon spinal bones is a bit off-putting to me, even though I know I should eat them.
Those bones are really good for you! As is the skin. The bones are very soft. That said, I still pick out the large backbone pieces and slide off the shiny, silver skin whenever I use canned salmon. Mostly an aesthetic decision.
I remember when I first started baking decades ago that the advice was always to lower the temp by 25 degrees if you were baking in a glass baking dish. I don't see that written in recipes or cookbooks anymore but I do think it is sound advice. Glass is not a good conductor of heat. It is an insulator. Heat doesn't readily pass through it. Heat is held by the glass, so edges that come in contact with it tend to cook faster than the center.
There are tons of knife skills videos on the internet.   You don't need money to go to the library to check out cookbooks and books on technique.    Joy of Cooking, as mentioned, is a great book for learning basics. James Peterson's books on technique are great. So are Anne Willan's La Varenne Practique and Madeleine Kamman's The New Making of a Cook. All of them are timeless. Peterson and Willan are chock full of photos that will show you how things look.    Going...
Be sure to heed Mimi's advice and squeeze that thawed spinach within an inch of its life. Also, if your recipe doesn't already call for it, a light grating of nutmeg into that spinach/ricotta mixture makes a huge and delicious difference. Not a ton. Just a whisper.
I should have said there are no fences in MT on "public lands." And, most of the western part of the state, with which I am familiar, is made up of public lands. Railroads need to fence off tracks or pay for cattle that wander onto them and are hit and there is some land fenced off to keep cattle out, but for the most part, in the west of the state with which I am familiar, the cattle have free run and what I have seen has been almost exclusively Black Angus. And they are...
As for how many Black Angus there are: I don't know about other countries but in the US, take a drive through Montana. There were over 30,000 head registered in that state alone in 2014. As Montana is an open range state (there are no fences) They are EVERYWHERE.   Last year there were a bit under 300,000 head registered in the US.   http://www.angus.org/Pub/FAQs.aspxhttp://www.angus.org/Pub/FAQs.aspx
@Luc_H --Re: Gleaning-- Des glaneuses--The Gleaners-- is a famous 1857 painting by Millet. It portrays 3 rural French peasants hand picking stray grains of wheat from a harvested field. It was not received well by French high society which did not want to look at pictures of poor people engaged in subsistence labor.
Made a delicious salad yesterday with roasted sweet potatoes, roasted zucchini and chickpeas sauteed in olive oil with garlic. Toss it all together with chopped parsely and slivered scallions. Dressing was tahini with lemon zest and juice, olive oil and more garlic. It was wonderful a day old, too.
There are two on the Food 52 Blog, which I find to be pretty reliably delicious. One is flourless and you dust it with powdered sugar and the other is made with rice and oat flours instead of wheat flour and is frosted. The latter is an Alice Medrich recipe, which is an excellent recommendation for any dessert recipe.   There's also one on the Serious Eats website which is another pretty reliable site. That one uses coffee liqueur and is topped with a raspberry...