or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

I wouldn't go with a foodsaver just for cheese, nor would I spend a fortune on expensive cheese wrapping paper. Cheese is a living food. You don't want it to dry out nor do you want to suffocate it. Here is advice from a fancy cheese shop here in Chicago. They sell that expensive cheese-wrapping paper but they aren't fanatical about it:   http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-keep-cheese-fresh-article
Cheese in plastic does occasionally get an off/plastic-y taste. Not mass-produced cheeses in vacuum sealed plastic. It does sometimes happen with cheeses cut from a larger wheel then wrapped in Saran-wrap type plastic wrap by the shop. Sometimes if you just unwrap it and let it breathe a little it turns out to be OK.   I never keep cheese in Saran wrap. As soon as I get it home, I take it out of the plastic, wrap it in waxed paper, then wrap the wax- papered hunk tightly...
I have a couple of these:   http://www.crateandbarrel.com/cuisinart-greengourmet-frypans/f62530   I'm pretty happy with them for eggs and frittatas, Don't really use them for anything else. I have read other places that eventually the non-stick-ness becomes less non-stick but I have no experience of that yet,
If you look around the internet enough, anything can be made to sound dangerous or scary.   Stainless steel cookware is not going to poison you. If you care for it properly it will not pit and, if you buy good quality stainless it will outlive you.   Cast iron is not going to hurt you either, though a quick google search does turn up dire warnings about cast iron--as well as about stainless.   It's craziness.   Enameled cast iron is also safe.     I do keep two...
I found it on Epicurious. Here you go! (Taste as you go. I remember tweaking it. Adding salt. Then more salt.)   http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sweet-potatoes-with-bourbon-and-maple-51124230   And, seriously...make extra sauce.
I'll be going to a potluck dinner. My contribution will be roasted sweet potatoes with a coffee/maple/bourbon sauce. They were such a hit last year that I think they are now my forever contribution to Thanksgiving dinners. I will be making extra sauce. Last year people also drizzled it on the pumpkin pie.It's a nice combination of sweet and salty. Oh, yes, and slightly boozy.
Mae Ploy pastes are pretty good. In addition to the larger, plastic containers, they make a bunch of other styles available only in small cans. I've only seen those at specifically Thai grocery stores, though.
Samuel Beckett--Irish novelist, poet, playwright, most famous for the play Waiting for Godot.
I'm very lucky to live in a very ethnically diverse part of Chicago, so I do most of my food shopping at ethnic markets--mostly produce markets. I've always spent most of my food $$ on fresh produce, so this is a longstanding habit. I am usually horrified when I see supermarket prices on produce.   I have several Vietnamse/Chinese markets right at my train stop and there is a Mexican Produce market/grocery store/carniceria that I can get to easily, where I buy most of my...
Dorrance is a "publishing services company," not a traditional book publisher. You pay them for some editorial support, book packaging services, and to print then distribute your book. Typically, each "service" they provide will be paid for separately by you. There is no "submission" process, because they make their money by you paying them for the costs of production and distribution. They are not terribly concerned with whether you will make that investment back through...