or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

Ruth Reichl--Comfort Me With Apples & Tender at the Bone Laurie Colwin--Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen & More Home Cooking Elizabeth David--South Wind Through the Kitchen Anya Von Bremzen--Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking     Not chefs but extremely appreciative eaters who also happen to be excellent (and funny) writers:   A. J. Liebling--Between Meals Calvin Trillin--The Tummy Trilogy Jim Harrison--The Raw and the Cooked
Dijon mustard. A good, healthy dollop. Salt, pepper. Anchovies are not a bad idea, either.
If you want it to stick, then yes, sesame oil. Or a touch of peanut butter.   However, I live in a very SE Asian part of Chicago and eat a lot of SE Asian food. Mostly the dressings do not adhere to the various salads I've eaten over the years. And, the cabbage or shredded papaya or whatever does not seem especially wilted. You just kind of have to swish your next forkful around the dressing pooled under the vegetables. Could be why the vegetables are usually shredded or...
2 thoughts:   Many thousands of Hungarians immigrated to WV to work in the coal mines in the 1st part of the 20th century, no doubt clutching packets of paprika as they boarded the boats. (My family's story, in a nutshell.) I'm guessing that is a major way chili powder made its way into WV cooking.  When I was a kid, the goulash we ate was more brown than red from whatever kind of paprika it was my grandmother used.   @Mike9   Don't know if you've seen this, but I...
Never mind!   Just realized how old this thread is!
I keep dry vermouth around all the time, anyway, so often if I don't have a bottle of white I plan to drink open I will often use dry vermouth.   I often buy whatever dry white--or red, for that matter--that is being sold off at $4 a bottle at my neighborhood wine store to keep around for cooking.   Pernod is Anisette is Ouzo is Arak is Pastis is Sambuca is Raki by yet another name. Delicious but nothing at all like white wine. It's sweet and very heavily...
Pickled red onions.   Slice and blanch a red onion. Drain and refresh under cold water to stop the cooking. Put the slices in a non-reactive bowl with a a few halved garlic cloves. Grind a half teaspoon or so each of  whole cumin seeds, whole black peppercorns, and kosher salt in a mortar and pestle and add to the bowl. Just barely cover the slices with apple cider vinegar and top off with cold water and stir. Taste. You might want to add some salt or more water. Cover...
Yes to Lodge. 12" skillet and 6 qt enameled Dutch oven. I also use 9" and  6" skillets.   I wouldn't mind having a 4.6 qt Dutch oven, as well.    I'm not sure how old your dad is but the one caveat with cast iron is that it is heavy and elderly people often have trouble with that. The 6 qt Dutch oven weighs 15 lbs. The 12" skillet weighs 7.5 lbs.
Anything by MFK Fisher. Not exactly memoir but not entirely not. She is the doyenne of food writing.   And, this explains a lot about how what we eat has evolved, at least here in the US, away from the horrifying "convenience food" cooking of the 1960s:   https://www.amazon.com/Provence-1970-M-F-K-Reinvention-American/dp/0307718344   (Trust me, I have a 1959 cookbook that I believe does not have a single fresh vegetable in it aside from iceberg lettuce.)
Gabrielle Hamilton's Blood, Bones & Butter. Marcus Samuelson's Yes, Chef! Eddie Huang's Fresh Off the Boat Jacques Pepin's The Apprentice