or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

@kaneohegirlinaz Less austere and more delicious food but also budget minded is the Budget Bytes blog. She has a cookbook, too.   http://www.budgetbytes.com/
On the general topic of frugal cooking: Maybe not spectacular food, but pretty good food...   Is is anyone familiar with Leanne Brown's blog and her cookbbook, Good and Cheap? The book is available as a printed, bound, trade book but also as a free, downloadable PDF. Healthy eating on $4.00 a day. Intended to help educate and inspire people living on the USDA average  "food stamp" aka "SNAP" benefit of $4.00 a day. She created the book as a capstone project for her...
Interesting that you found those za'atar  flatbreads in an Armenian restaurant. They are Arabic--more specifically from the region around Syria, Palestine, Lebanon, where the herbs used grow wild-- rather than Armenian or Turkish. I used to also see them in the Iraqi Chaldean bakeries in Detroit in the early 90s. People eat them for breakfast.   Middle Eastern bakeries often sell the breads stacked 4 or 5 to a bag. I was just mooning over the variety available at the...
I'm not sure that anyone, anywhere can create "fantastic" food out of "subpar" ingredients. I do think much of the world does create fantastic dishes out of what are, in their particular places, simple or inexpensive ingredients.   I definitely have to watch pennies but I make very good food out of inexpensive ingredients.  I am very lucky, though. If there is something that could be described as the opposite of a food desert, I am living in it. Good, inexpensive...
If you are finding you do not like the flavor profile because of the flavors of the honey and molasses, I think you need to find another recipe entirely. Grandma's yellow label is as mild as it gets when it comes to molasses. Any honey other than a very mild, basic honey is going to be wasted in a barbecue sauce recipe.   I don't think this is an ingredient problem. I think you just need a different kind of barbecue sauce. God knows there are hundreds of different kinds...
Aldi often has great prices on seasonal produce, especially fruit--though sometimes it is not the best-looking seasonal produce. They also have pretty decent, flash- frozen, wild-caught salmon filets.   Their chocolate is good--Moser Roth dark. It has a distinct, almost orange-y flavor underneath the chocolate, but I like it.    My very favorite thing there, though, is their frozen French-style, very slender green beans, for a fraction of what you pay even at TJ's. I...
There is a chocolate pound cake in Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible that is quite delicious. She replaces a portion of the flour with unsweetened cooca powder rather than using chocolate.
Just now looking at the supermarket sale paper. Tenderloins on sale this week!  
My favorite summer breakfast is warm pita bread smeared with labneh (yogurt cheese), drizzled with good olive oil, heavily sprinkled with za'atar and topped with perfect slices of tomato.   Cut stale pita into triangles, and pull the two halves apart. Toss the triangles in a bowl with good olive oil and sprinkle with za'atar. Add a little salt, if needed. (the za'atar I buy at a local Middle Eastern market already has salt in it. Toast in a 350 degree oven until the...
"Desperation."   I would call it "desperation."