or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

I went the opposite direction. I was vegetarian for over 30 years. That is what got me interested in international foods/cooking/recipes.   I make a lot of Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, Indian & other Asian dishes and, luckily, live in a neighborhood where I can find any ingredient I might fancy. In all seriousness, that is what led me to live in the neighborhood I moved to over two decades ago. The markets are an endless source of fascination and inspiration.   I...
Thank you Mimi!
If you're near a big city (ie: Seattle) where there are large and varied immigrant populations, I would suggest visiting the ethnic markets and buying from those merchants, locally. You will be supporting a local business, turn over is usually very brisk, and the prices are usually much, much better than buying from a spice seller. One trip to an Indian market can take you far--for less than you would expect. Plus, ethnic markets are just plain fascinating--and I've never...
In baking baguettes or country breads you can use them to slice into the surface of the dough before putting the loaf in the oven to allow the crust to spread into those lovely designs. It's kind of shocking how quickly the blades get too dull to do that smoothly.
@Grande --no, no solution in sight. They've switched back to water supplied by the city of Detroit which will also have anti-corrosion chemicals added with the hope that a new protective coating can be laid down on the interior of the pipes, but estimates of how long that might take all seem to be in terms of years--as in over a decade years. Estimates for repairing the damaged infrastructure range from hundreds of millions up into the billions of dollars. Then there are...
Just googling "phad gra tiem" brings up a lot of recipes that translate the name to "Garlic Pepper Chicken."  (Since Thai is not written in a western alphabet, some of the spellings in English are variations.) Almost all of them combine soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce. Surprisingly, none of them call for chilies or chili -garlic paste but they all do call for hefty doses of black pepper.
I work with two people who still have family in Flint. Anyone who can afford it is cooking with bottled water--and has been for awhile. Most people simply did not believe it when they were told the water was OK to drink. In the past couple of weeks there have been a lot of volunteer efforts to bring large quantities of bottled water in. I wonder less about the restaurant industry than I do about the hospitals. With the exception of a small, newly- gentrifying neighborhood...
Peterson is a wonderful teacher. I have several of his books and can't recommend him highly enough.   I also like Madeliene Kamman. The Making of a Cook is a classic. There is a newer edition called The New Making of a Cook that is immense and a bit more health conscious.   http://www.amazon.com/New-Making-Cook-Techniques-Science/dp/0688152546/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453780593&sr=1-1&keywords=madeleine+kamman   Not really any pictures, though.   I also like...
For flavor combinations:           and:      
To finish, yes.   To cook over a long period of time-- as in a stew, no.