or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

Refuse?
2 "packs" is an utterly meaningless measurement unless you are taking the recipe off of said package.   What are you trying to make? I'm betting whatever it is will be much better using the the oil-packed variety, anyway, and that the main difference in using one rather than the other will be flavor, rather than whether the recipe works or not. The dried tomatoes on their own are both almost unchewable and not very flavorful until they are reconstituted in some way. 
The autumn-blooming crocus that produces saffron can be grown in lots of places. Here in the states it can be grown in zones 6-8. The only problem is that, as someone else pointed out above, each flower produces only 3 stigmas. Each bulb or corm usually produces multiple flowers. They are planted in late summer/early fall and bloom in a few weeks. It is a very pretty little plant and, once established, will continue to bloom and multiply each year as long as you let the...
Shakshuka is one of my favorite, no-time-to-make-dinner dinners. So easy and so delicious. And, yes, one very good reason to always keep canned tomatoes on hand.
I like bacon in popcorn. I bet a little sprinkle of smoked salt would be pretty good, too.
Made soup yesterday during the blizzard here. Kale, white bean, smoked sausage, sweet potato, lots of garlic and onion in chicken stock. It's my standby soup for winter.  Sometimes I use a carrot or squash instead of sweet potatoes. Sometimes I add pureed tomatoes to the chicken stock and use Italian sausage instead of smoked sausage.
Butzy,    I tried to post a picture of dinosaur kale directly but couldn't manage to. If you google "lacinato kale" you should get a hit at the very beginning, showing you what the plant looks like. It is softer and, at least at the markets where I shop, costs at least twice as much as regular kale--which has been dirt cheap here the last couple of years. People say all the time that it is less bitter, too, but I don't find curly kale all that bitter to begin with.
Hi Butzy,   I have them both, but only because I used to work for the company that repped the publisher's books to bookstores in the Midwest back in the 90s when they came out and I got them both for free. I think Apprentice is the better, more thorough book. Crust and Crumb is more about the formulas--at least the 1990s edition that I have--there is a more recent one. Apprentice has the same formulas but includes more discussion about what is happening at each stage of...
Just using instant yeast will not give you a sourdough bread. You need some sort of fermented starter and a slow rise for the finished loaf to have that sour tang. 
Brother Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice is an amazing, amazing book. He walks you through several different types of starters. After using the book for a few months, I was able to not only make breads from his recipes, but could also turn out a decent loaf without even needing a recipe based on the principles I learned in that book. Crust and Crumb, also by him, is kind of the Cliff Notes version.   I passed up a used copy of his Artisan Breads Every Day a...