or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

I've had good luck finding decent watercress in Asian markets. Vietnamese/Chinese specifically. May be a higher turnover rate, but it's always pretty perky and fresh in the markets in my neighborhood, which is very heavily Vietmamese and ethnic Chinese from Vietmam.
I like them just naked in the oven. Some of them will get a little brown in places and I like that. But if you're not careful they can get a little dry that way.  If you do it in foil they would probably stay moister. 
That barbacoa looks great. I also like that it sounds so easy, too. That's also the case with cochinita pibil, which I love to make (and eat.). A few minutes to prep, an overnight marinade and a long, slow stay in the oven works magic on chunks of pork shoulder.
I love both fattoush and tabouli but I can certainly understand not liking the scouring-the-inside-of-your-mouth feel of raw curly parsley.
Thanks for the heads up! I was just browsing that site yesterday and completely missed that slideshow. Looking through 150 recipes is a time commitment!
New one just published in the US and released yesterday:   http://www.amazon.com/My-Portugal-Recipes-George-Mendes/dp/1617691267   It's gorgeous but probably not everyday food.   There are also a lot of Portuguese recipes available on Pinterest. Maybe not the most reliable source but it will give you an idea of flavors.   just google "Portuguese recipes Pinterest" and you will get links to many boards.
You have to massage the dressing into the kale with your hands then let it sit for awhile to soften. It's even good the next day. Lacinato or dragon kale cut into ribbons is a bit less tough. I don't care for kale cooked unless it's dressed with lots of garlic, chilis and vinegar and preferably sauteed in pancetta fat. I put an egg on that and call it dinner.
My favorite lately is a kale Caesar with a lemon/garlic/anchovy dressing. Sometimes I put Parmesan cheese in the dressing and put a hard boiled egg on top and call it dinner.
I have to say, that's a tough list.   The urid gota is a legume/pulse not a grain. It's used in Indian cooking for dal and, fried in ghee or oil with other spices as part of a tadka or last minute seasoning.   I'm assuming yours is pale and split rather than still whole and with the black skin on it. Try looking for recipes for Urad Daal or Dal.
This sounds like a chance to make Mualle which I discovered thanks to someone on this site.   It is truly delicious, the season is right but I cannot take a decent picture with my phone/camera and it is a singularly unphotogenic dish--eggplant, lentils, tomato, seasoned onions. Humble ingredients made into something wonderful with the addition of a healthy dose of pomegranate (thank you spell check!) molasses & mint.