or Connect

Posts by ChicagoTerry

Homegrown Tomatoes! My immediate thought, too, though really what he should be known for is his mentoring of at least two generations of fabulous songwriters--Townes Van Zant, Lyle Lovett, Steve Earl, Roseanne Cash, Rodney Crowell, Joe Ely, Nancy Griffith, to name a few. And Emmylou Harris did some of her loveliest work with him.
This is a workplace rules issue. It is the responsibility of management to set workplace rules and enforce them.   I work with a lot of very young people at both of my jobs. One of my jobs is in an office, the other is in a bookstore. At the bookstore, you simply are not allowed to bring phones onto the floor. Period. They stay in your locker until break time. Not one of the 20 somethings I work with violates the rule. Ever. I've been there 6 years. It just doesn't...
For the cucumber sandwich, don't expect any great blast of flavor. Firm, very good white bread with the crusts cut off, good butter (find one of the high-fat European brands,) paper thin slices of cucumbers.   Personally, I prefer cucumber sandwiches with sliced hard-boiled egg and, if I have it, fresh dill.   For the Thai salad, the elusive flavor you are seeking is probably due to a splash of fish sauce. If you buy Red Boat, which is now the darling of fish sauce...
H-Mart.   You're in the States, yes?   You want to order from H-Mart. Gigantic Korean-American grocery store chain.   http://www.hmart.com/shop/sauces-spices/?p=3
And, as far as environmental concerns and chemical processes are concerned--have you ever read how cellulose fibers are processed into fabric? (especially rayon and bamboo. disgusting. Which is why it is done now in poor countries with weak environmental laws)   Or plain paper? Toilet paper? Other household paper goods?   I make handmade paper--a less toxic process than commercial paper-making but it still involves hours and hours of cotton, linen, or various plant...
First I think you should buy a jar at an Asian market to see if you like Kimchi.   Most kimchi is basically Napa cabbage layered with salt, fish sauce, and Korean chili flakes (gochugaru) and fermented. Almost any Korean cooking website or cookbook will have recipes. It used to be made in every Korean household in the fall and stored in crocks as a way to preserve vegetables over the winter. I'm sure every household had its own twist.   There are other kimchi recipes...
I use it under roasting vegetables at 425f or 450f ALL THE TIME.  I've baked baguettes on it at at well over 400f. Pizzas higher than that. Galettes and croustadas at 400. Puff pastry at 400+.  This is what parchment is for. Sometimes the edges char, if I'm not careful with trimming it but that is all. Muffin/cupcake papers are basically pre-formed parchment cups. Have you ever worried about those? Parchment is an entirely food-safe product. The bakers on The Fresh Loaf...
Is this a trick question?   I mean, what ELSE is parchment used for but to heat food? I use it all the time. To line cake tins, to line roasting pans when I'm roasting vegetables, under the pastry when I bake gallettes, to wrap fish and vegetables en papiotte. I go through rolls and rolls of the stuff.   I'm really not getting what the issue is here.
@Mike9--he did but did not give me a name. He actually told me I didn't need to come back to him unless the diet didn't work. I really did not like this guy, but I think he's probably right. I also haven't used this hospital for primary care in the past. It's an excellent hospital--probably the best in this part of the Midwest, but if you go there you need to be prepared to accept that you are cattle.     My long-time primary care physician left her practice in the city...
Thanks everyone.    This has been going on now for years. At first it was thought that the throat problems were due to a thyroid mass. Treated that. No improvement. This is the 3rd ENT I've been to. The last one consistently makes it to the top of the "Best Doctors in Chicago" rankings. Lovely man. Ran many tests, performed many different treatments, sent me to an allergist, changed meds a couple of times. Symptoms just kept getting worse. He finally said he had run out...