or Connect

Posts by zoebisch

My tops is one that the Wegman's chain sells.  Talking "standard" canned tuna, not a high end product which is a whole different world.  What I like about it is you don't have a ridiculous sodium level, the whole thing is a solid chunk, it's not Albacore (mercury dangers, esp with larger ones) and it's great base for salad, etc and it's pretty inexpensive, considering it's all meat and hardly any water.  If you don't have a Wegman's around, Look for ones that don't have...
I remember once a guy asked for a "black and blue".  So my brother throws a cast iron skillet onto the burner, screaming hot, seared (black) on one side for a bit, flip, seared again for a bit, done.  The customer was like "oh that's too rare".  So a little more cooking. Still not done enough.  He ended up actually wanting it closer to medium-rare.  We shook our heads in amazement.  He was happy in the end, but I think it upset us more than him.  We did tell him though...
  I am not sure what you mean in this last paragraph?  I think you are saying that you are not clear on the outcome of your path?  I am in a similar situation as yourself and to be honest, it seems that it boils down to really understanding yourself and how you function.  If working a food truck seems like a great idea (you can probably buy and license a used one for less than the cost of an education) and that's what you want to do, I say go for it.  There are...
I prefer very, very low heat, eggs that are still warm, a splash of milk or cream, well beaten, butter in the pan and gentle slow, infrequent folding.  I like the larger more tender egg 'curds', just removed while they are a bit creamy.  Salt to season.  If I have it, right at the end, I shut off the heat and gently fold in a high butterfat cheese addition or some sauteed wild mushrooms, whatever I collected that morning.  On average it probably takes about 10 minutes or...
Having been in this similar discussion many times on beer forums, I will offer up the way I view it.  Once you depart from the personal journey of how food should be to you, you cross into the world where your experience is being dictated by another.  If you want to compete (for a prize, renown, etc), this is one thing but at the heart of what we are discussing is that every person who breaks new ground is inspired.  Granted when we talk about technique there is "right...
What's your budget?
I originally didn't see Corn and that would have been my top choice over cacao (can I have a do-over :D)?  Those 3, to me at least have been traced back to the mentioned parts of the world and are essentially staple foods (cacao being the exception as a staple but to many its value cannot be understated in other words I feel cacao would trump peppers and tomatoes).  Obviously all are important and have their place, but when I think of the word "impact" it conjures in my...
Heh.  Me too.  My second vote would have been the potato.
Wow, congrats!  This thread is helping me think out of the box.  My wife is open to just about anywhere in the world (contingent on her finding a school to pursue her MFA painting/drawing) so now my wheels are turning.  I have never thought of France as a possibility for some reason...I guess the language barrier was nipping at me but obviously that's not a barrier given this new information.   It's cool to see you guys getting excited together! :D
Nice!   I love Makizushi, and yeah practice, practice, practice.  That's something I would love to learn hands on if I can get the opportunity in the future but those chefs are so good at it and make it look so easy, deceptively easy.  Each time I make it though, I learn a little more from my past mistakes.    Fwiw, migratory salmon can indeed obtain and transfer tapeworm so that is certainly something to consider if you do ever serve it raw make sure it has gotten the...