or Connect

Posts by zoebisch

Not entirely sure, but it's oddly common.  I have a feeling, looking back, that a big part of it for me at least is the exacting aspect.  Not that food can't and shouldn't be fun and not taken too seriously but I realize that I have a very strong personal drive for quality and the pursuit of perfection in my cuisine.  Where I currently work I would say 70 to 80% of the folks are very much into food.  Like the guy that just loves to make cheesecakes and throws...
      Temperature and humidity are crucial to getting a consistent product.  You can wing it but be prepared to learn via trial and error (nothing worse then getting a void in your salami).  Often when my climate is cold enough for curing, the humidity becomes too low.  I compensated fairly well by creating a "chamber" with clean plastic sheeting from a roll.  I was fortunate enough to have a humidifier with some degree of control but for both cured meat and cheeses the...
Well I kind of got ahead of myself by posting here first, no worries at all, the mistake rests with me.
Peter, sadly my brother passed from this world. 
Sounds reasonable.  That's one of the reasons if I do immerse myself in schooling that I'd want to keep it short.  
Alas, sadly he is among the departed. 
So I finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.   My food journey starts in a seldom traveled country road in rural Pennsylvania.  A man and his wife of some renown decided to set up shop just down that road.  My (late) elder brother worked there as a bus-boy and eventually found his way into the kitchen and was captivated.  He later went on to graduate Cum Laude from J&W.    When I was in my late teenage years I lived with him and cooked with him in...
First off, hello! (I'll introduce myself in the appropriate forums if I get the chance).    Soliciting opinions on which route to go.  I can follow in either a school path, leaning towards a short-and-sweet and little debt or I can get hopefully into a kitchen and take the next steps there.  Long and short, I learned side-by-side from the late brother who graduated Cum Laude from J&W, so I have a very decent training in Haute cuisine...but at the time I wasn't paying...