or Connect

Posts by zoebisch

One day they'll have a machine that will synthesize any food from basic elements.  You'll be able to eat Kobe, made just there, from a machine.  Chefs will be used to input their influence into fuzzy logic and continuous inference networks that operate chef-bots who cook the food.  Instead of the tedium of cooking, mankind will be able to spend time being more productive in the arts...oh wait!
Oh you guys :D   I love me some Anchovy.  Recently I opened a can of their big brothers: Sarde Salate from Sicily for the first time....wow!  Still haven't gone full out on a dish because, well, I'm probably the only one in the family that will like them in that capacity...although my one son might...so for now they have been mostly used like a seasoning in dressings, and I did cut up some for on top of pizza.  But I digress....all dressings from scratch are not even...
I can help as well, although I speak Spanish much better than I can read it! :D  I'd ask my wife but she's in Cuba right now so that doesn't help...heh. I'm with BDL on this one, it might be a good experience to muscle through the translation. Babelfish is at your fingertips...
Are they damaging the plant?
To me, that's a question that is not simple to answer.   My suggestion would be to try and understand why certain techniques evolved the way they did, and likewise (by extension) particular dishes.  The mother sauces all came into being for good reason.  Cassoulet evolved because the cassoulet (vessel) was taken by the village (usually women) to the bread maker for a small fee to cook in the residual heat of that mornings bread oven.  Oftentimes what we know as...
Both together :D   (surname actually)   Kind of funny we were at a bonfire this weekend, beautiful spot on a hilltop with a 360 view of the Alleghenies.  Started with a fire ring with a big grate grill, oak logs rolling.  Wicked hot though, waaay hotter than I would ever make to cook on.  Of course I gravitated there and wiggled my way into running the grill.  Something about seeing somebody keep flipping a chop over and over just bothers my soul. Beautiful...
Dang sounds like I'd be right at home.  People often thought I was nuts for going through the "trouble" of making oak staves and creating a grill space out of rocks and a rack with a fire going underneath.  I probably am normally running a little hotter when I open grill like that and don't typically rub at all, just salt.  Good information to know, and I know exactly what you mean by "just different". 
Ahh concerts.  Last we went to was Sierra Maestra, prior to that was Chucho Valdez and the Afro-Cuban messengers.  Lately I haven't been listening to much, although I do have some Zeppelin running through my head....
Lard wins! :D  (OT but, that's what I pop popcorn in)
We have a 30" Frigidaire Gallery Series electric double wall convection oven that has been used hard for about the past 6 years.  Love it. Goes to 550 (Oven and broiler), as low as 170 (300 convection, 400 broiler) .  Self clean function kicks @ss.  Heavy racks (4 per), start time, bake time, preheat time all great.  All original elements, and like I said I use the thing multiple times a week.  I haven't done a calibration test, I probably should but haven't noticed with...