or Connect

Posts by zoebisch

I have found that pouring off the soaking liquid and even the cooking liquid to be highly beneficial in this regard, especially when making a bean dish for a crowd.  For what it's worth.  I also know that eating legumes often and a high fiber diet benefit your gut bacteria and you become accustomed to it anyhow.    Also make your soak slightly saline (about 2 to 3 Tbs/gallon), the beans cook more rapidly (but apparently hydrate more slowly according to McGee).  I actually...
Wow, sorry to hear that!  I'd like to think if I were in that position it would be possible to elevate the interest level of those types of foods you'll be immersed in.  I suppose at the end of the day it's more-or-less like a serious Vegan/Vegetarian diet.  Indian cuisine is your friend (they've been doing it so long how could it not be awesome Vegetarian cuisine!),  obviously sans rice.  At home my Zojirushi has seen the likes of: Quinoa, Millet, Steel Cut Oats, Kasha...
Dunno but how about a color coding system? Like just get a big pack of colored sharpies. I envision a big circle filled in with color,  a smaller circle of another color gives you another multiple for the amount.   Of course this means you have to memorize a system...but a key slapped on a wall is a good crutch until you get used to the system. You can do symbols too if you need more options.  Just make them really bold to hold up...just a thought, and it could get...
Resurrecting this.  It could be your water...I think a change in water chemistry causes something like Manganese or Magnesium to become apparent.  Not sure what occurs, I have been getting this recently in my light stocks.  I installed a new well pump last fall and since then I have noticed my chicken, fish and light vegetable stocks turn almost brackish! I haven't investigated further but in my case I am pretty certain this is the case...
I believed you but still had the thought you might be pulling my leg so I browsed a bit and came up with this clever internet exchange of ideas:   "I received a manifold cooker for Christmas. I was really excited to be able to cook while driving. I tried to cook some eggs in it today and it would not get hot enough to cook anything. The Temp here was in the lower 30's and I drove about 20 miles but the eggs stayed runny. I had the cooker pressed down all the way on to...
Reminds me of when I wrote to Melissa's about their supposed "Bhut Jolokia".  They were hot, but not very.  I asked them what their source was and if they had some form of quality control on the heat level.  They sent me some coupons and a "We're sorry".  Thanks.  Different than my exchange with BumbleeBee...I found what I at first thought was glass but later it turned out to be crystal formations (Struvite) from the canning process that are present in the canned...
Oldie but a goodie.  This has been going through my brain lately
The thing I find kind of a little bit of a pain to navigate has been the explosion of mixed ingredient chocolates available commercially here in the states in the past 5 years or so.  While interesting in concept and good in their own right (with varying degrees of concept success), I tend to be a purist first, innovator second and my selection and style follows suit.  That's why I am very much aligned with what TCHO is doing.  In brewing beer it was a similar concept. ...
I was looking at these alternative methods, sparked by the thread.  One other method is apparently to go under high pressure (800 M Pa....that's what the document said...not sure if it was a typo? that's like what 8000 atmospheres?) and this supposedly does it.  I am guessing those commercial ones listed above use this.  I was also intrigued to find that both Honey, Bromelain and Papain are all potentials to experiment with.  Here's the document I was reading.
Hah! That's a cool idea.