or Connect

Posts by The Meal Man

thats a great knife, in a great steel sold by a great dealer. I'm personally not a fan of western style handles but Keiichi can get that kinfe in your hands from Sakai in three days. I've purchased three knives from him in the past two months.   Not:White steel is very reactive so be prepared to wipe it frequently with cape cod cloths or enjoy the natural patina that will form.  
Duckfat, You'll be sorry. Even if you only intend on making sausage in five pound batches, that little LEM will actually only hold about four pounds of meat. This means that you have to stop your whole sausage making process, while everything come to room temperature and re-stuff the piston.   Using an oversized piston will allow you to complete the whole process in one step, plus it gives you the flexibility to do larger volumes of meat. I've stuffed hundreds of...
DuckFat, Nice job. What are you using for a stuffer? Hope your not using your grinder as a stuffer? This is the one I have and the price I paid a few years ago. Highly recommended.   http://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-MHVSS-11-Pound-Sausage-Stuffer/dp/B001PLEN8I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337102435&sr=8-4
DuckFat, Nice job. What are you using for a stuffer? Hope your not using your grinder as a stuffer? This is the one I have and the price I paid a few years ago. Highly recommended.   http://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-MHVSS-11-Pound-Sausage-Stuffer/dp/B001PLEN8I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337102435&sr=8-4
BDL, Thanks for chiming in with your thoughtful feedback. I have always found your wisdom insightful and non-judgemental. Plus your posts always make me laugh.   I think i'm going to send these knives out to Dave M. for proper set-up. But you mentioned that hair shaving was not a good test for sharpness. that is curious to me. I always use the three finger test but that test yields a similar feel to the edge whether I strop or not. But when shaving (with the hair)...
Dave, Yea I use a PID to adjust temperature. Its a tracable temperature control device from Cole Palmer.   I have a Weston #22   http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/08-2201-w.html?utm_source=08-2201-w&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CMGjhLPn0q8CFeJe7AodWzC5Hg   Wow it seems to have gone up in price. Go figure.   Its a wonderful design though, very very heavy-duty. Think commercial service utility truck, the ones that carry...
Just received my Deba (Sakai Blue #2 195) and Karmagata-Usuba (Sakai Blue #2 210). Hon Kasumi. Sold from BluewayJapan--Keiichi Omay San. I only had time to unwrap them and have not cut anything yet. However, I did try to shave arm hair and it did not shave. I realize that this is common with traditional Japanese knives. Question: How would you open these blades up given I use the edge pro? I know some of you are cringing. Sorry. I was thinking about: 1.) Finding...
ruscal, I was eyeing those up but gezz $50 for 18". Seems kinda pricy to me. I'm thinking about picking some nice wood and filling them with neodinium magnets. Maybe someday when i ahve nothing better to do. don't hold your breath. ;)
I like that kono 270 suij for sure. How do like those wooden magnet blocks? I was thinking about either making myself a set or picking some up as you did?  
Here is a shot of the pancetta after curing but before smoking and one after being smoked. Also a shot of a the fresh back-belly bacon. Notice the deep rich color to the flesh and how white and creamy the fat is.       Almost forgot to mention, my dedicated sausage knife is a Takeda Bono-bocho 195. Top row, fourth from the right.