or Connect

Posts by rdm magic

I should have mentioned that I didn't mean moving around once I got a job at one of these places, but more in the time that I'd put in to learn skills that will benefit me. If I were working in a starred restaurant, I'd stay there for as long as possible.   I haven't eaten in any starred restaurants; I've tried, but I'm from a fairly low class area, and even when offering to pay for people to come with me, they refuse to go, I feel because they are intimidated by the...
I'm currently conflicted. I started quite 'late' being a cook (21), when I compare myself to the great chefs you can read about; I don't want to sound stupid or anything, but what I really want to do in my career is to work in michelin standard kitchens. I understand that its pretty unlikely and everything, but I feel that I need a goal, and while that is a difficult one, its not so farfetched as to say I want to be the next Gordon Ramsay/MPW etc. There is no real reason...
What is it you dislike about the Myabi?
  All I was saying is that regardless of what someone already knows, if it takes them being told a dozen times to pick something up, then to me they would be useless. I personally would rather teach someone from the start who picks stuff up the first time and remembers it for life than someone who knows some stuff but when I do have to show him something, can't get it for love nor money.
Just a heads up to you guys about your tests.   I went for a job. He asked me to make hollandaise. I've only worked at one Italian restaurant, where we have no need at all for it, so I told him what I thought was right. 'Chef, I know how to make it, as in I've read the recipe, but I've never actually made it. Would you mind showing me?'   He showed me, and then I didn't get the job. I'm about 75% sure that the main reason as that I didn't know how to make the...
I believe that Koki doesn't say anything about the possibility of import tax because well, its kind of common sense. You're importing something. I'm a little confused as to why you thought that JCK would be exempt to import taxes?   He does his best to keep them down, but at the end of the day its not down to him - its down to the customs official who opens the package and checks it out.   I think if you contact parcelforce and tell them you won't pay, they will return...
Just because you don't like line cooking doesn't mean that you won't enjoy working in some other cooking environment.
  Not to paraphrase or anything..
What will your daughter be mostly using the knife for? Will she be okay with carbon, or only stainless? Semi stainless?   What about the all important sharpening?   The Kono HD comes in at less than 300$. If I were buying a 'first' knife at the moment though, I'd probably get a sweden series from Misono. Especially if I was looking for a 210mm. They are so damn cheap right now its criminal not to get one. If you can handle carbon, and aren't a leftie that is.
1) Stir it more, maybe use a whisk with more wires so you get a more complete whisk faster. 2) I believe that the falling is due to the loss of air volume when cooled. It always happens to mine aswell. I'm not too sure on this. 3) The darkness inside is due to the volume, cooking inside still while the outside is cooler. If it bothers you, try adding less bicarb so it doesn't raise so much. This might also help with 4, as it won't inflate as much, in theory making...