or Connect

Posts by smiley

Oven temp?   yeast dough or not?
Yelling is as common as butter in kitchens.... why does the Chef yell?  Adrenaline ....  if you are in fear you will move faster.....  poor technique?  Not really.  after a three hour service of turning over seats and maximizing profits for the business you are going to get tired... everyone does.  The question is when is he yelling?  beginning of service?  Middle?  End?  Each time he yells there is a reason.....   Do you slow down as service goes on?  (we all do)  Is...
Well after 27 years in the industry and picking up my fair share of expensive items off the floor (would you not try to skim the top part of the Osetra caviar that didn't touch the floor just for yourself to eat?) I am now working in a private lodge where there are 10 guests who pay 205000.00 a week in an open kitchen concept.  If food hits the floor I try to make it hit the garbage  faster than it hit the floor, with as much of a thud as I can muster... reason?  eyes...
Ohhhh Chocolate, the baine of all pastry chefs existence... When we look at chocolate it is hard to believe how dry this runny liquid is... thus is the reactional reason of seizing that we have all witnessed from time to time. Keep adding liquid or oil! and that can be any liquid or oil (sour cream is coagulated liquid)... even water (why would you do that ? or alcohol.. the easiest balance is equal portions of liquid to chocolate (42 percent chocolate...
Well, if you are using the soft fondant and heating it up and dunking the only way to keep the shine is to not overheat it.......which is hard because it gets thinner when it is warmer.... but alas it can not go past warm to the lip... almost like chocolate.... and stir stir stir..... after every dip in the soft fondant you must stir again because it is that close to being cool again,,, and frequent light heatings... to do it well is a pain.... but when the chef says,...
Ohhhh... puffs!!!! Are you looking for a perfect round shape? if so, just add another egg to your recipe. it makes all the rough edges disappear. pipe and let it sit for a few minutes to get a LITTLE skin formed on it. cook until you can take one from the MIDDLE of the tray and it feels light..... getting to dark? turn the oven down to 275- 300 to dry the puppies out. I figured I have made around 350 thousand of these suckers, If I wasn't such a slow learner...
Well here I go First of all the little white thing that hangs off the yolk is called a chicken, providing you are a fertilized egg. Doesn't matter in the whites, but in the yolk when you cook anglaise it should be strained out. Meringues are funny because they make people do funny things.... like rub a bowl with salt, turn two circles before turning on the machine.... etc.....etc There are some certain truths..... oil is bad (that means the yolk too),...
Sorry, salt doesn't stabilize, it only breaks down the albumen to help incorporate more air. to stabilize your egg foam, use 20- 25 percent of sugar from recipe to stabilze and cook the rest.... eh voila!
back to the basics of convection cooking....... when a convection oven is set at 300 because of the displacement of air it has the same effect as a 350- 375. I have set convection ovens at 225 to get the desired results. A nine inch by two and a half inch high cheesecake takes about thirty- 40 minutes. Remember not to put in fridge right away so you don't get cracks..... after the cakes falls to room temperature it goes in the fridge.. Also, what is the temp of...
Sorry mate.... Powder, yeast and soda will do nothing for you..... you are missing the vital ingredient which is gluten... as in rice flour has none. without gluten strands to push on you will be out of luck..... however, there is the addition of whipped egg whites (stablized with sugar) that will add a lightness that could suit your needs... :D