or Connect

Posts by AZFoodie

@nelsonel2012   From one novice cook on a tight budget to another:   I bought a set of used Calphalon knives on craigslist for $30.  They were dull and wrapped in newspaper.  I spent several hours sharpening them on one of those pull-thru wusthof sharpeners that I bought for $15.  Now I have a great set of knives!   My favorite knife is a 7-inch Santoku by Farberware that I bought from Walmart for $12.  When it got dull, I used the same pull thru sharpener.  Shows...
Thank you both for you input.  I plan to remove some of the fat cap but leave a good part on.   @ yeller - whoa!!  vein???  tender part of the butt??  never knew that.  In the past, I just bought the pork butt from the store, trimmed it down a little and then cooked it.  Further guidance would be much appreciated.  Thx.
I have yet another question for the gurus here:   I'm planning to slow-roast pork butt low and slow.  Start out with a rub/paste of rosemary, salt, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, sage, etc.  Make some slits in the pork and rub the paste on the outside and into the slits.   Leave overnight and slow roast the next day at around 275 till the internal temp is around 195.   I usually trim off some of the fat on the meat before applying the rub/paste.  I am thinking...
    This is a dry, spicy curry.  You can control the heat using different types of chilies and leaving in or taking out the seeds from the chilies.   2lbs Chicken thigh meat, trimmed and cut into 2-in. pieces 1lb Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5-in. cubes   Grind to a smooth paste: 15 dried red chilies soaked for 30-mins in hot water, drained 15 cloves of garlic 1 1-in. cube of ginger, chopped 2 tsp Garam Masala 1/2-cup tomato puree Juice of 1/2-lime 1 tsp...
Believe it or not.....  
Chicken and potatoes cooked in a dry, spicy and garlicky curry.  
Thank you. I used cod and salmon and they held their firmness.  So they flaked easily but were not mushy.
Mikael - thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I decided to play it safe, since this was my first attempt.  I used fillets and braised them in the sauce in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.    
I want to try and cook a whole fish in a slow cooker.  Here's what I'm thinking:   Start out with red snapper or bass.  Have it cleaned, gutted, and scaled.  Rinse and season/rub with salt, pepper, and maybe a little lime juice.  Make a few cuts on a diagonal.  Leave to rest for a few minutes.   Prepare a tomato sauce.  Perhaps Veracruzana or something North African with harissa and/or chermoula.  Pour the sauce into a slow cooker.  Place the fish in the cooker.  Maybe...
To be honest - the chipotle flavor is pretty strong, and I am not sure that the flavor (not taste) of the maple syrup quite comes thru.  Next time, I might try using agave nectar instead.  I also added a little ketchup and some vinegar for sourness.