or Connect

Posts by Ouroboros

we have an immersion circulator that was given to us by a science teacher... Its pretty sweet.. havent used it a whole lot during service, but we  have done eggs in it, and pork belly... several different ways... we would probably use it more, alas we dont currently have an economical/practical way of vacuum sealing large quantities of food items... as far as the threat of botulism goes, I wouldnt worry about it too much considering you probably wont be holding foods...
yea you are very right... youth is definitely a virtue...
bubbles give it character... flat pizzas are like pop stars bro... 
Ive been using sumac alot lately, its an ingredient in the aforementioned za'atar... you can collect your own in most areas... Also check out this page for alot of different plants and herbs, some medicinal, some mundane... Im growing some of this stuff this year.... www.alchemy-works.com  
be careful with the brown sugar, depending on how you plan to cook them, it burns fairly easily at higher end hot smoking temperatures...and will definately burn if you directly grill them... a little char is good....  to be safe I would exclude it from the rub an add it toward the end of cooking... also try wet brining the ribs for a day or so, watch the salt, and weigh heavier on the sugar if your going for a sweeter taste, dry them thoroughly and dry rub them before...
I did around 300 covers tonight, closed the kitchen, took the compost and fish scraps to the garden across town, came home worked out for an hour and ran three miles, just got done baking some levain batards for my chefs wine party sunday, back in at 2 o'clock tomorrow to work the dinner and close saute... and sunday will be the same thing to close out my 6 day week... haha  I love it soo much... 
I have never cut myself chopping with the knife leaving the board... When your chopping something such as a zucchini or onion, the first thing to do is make sure that what your cutting is stable and not wobbling around... cut them into manageable pieces while still enabling yourself to achieve the proper "cut"...put your thumb on the butt off the object and use it to "feed" the object forward... make a "c" with your hand... your fingers in cutting form and your thumb...
they need to be allowed to cool completely before they are properly set... also quickly and decisively use a blow torch to "burn off" the bubbles before you pop them in the oven....
there are infinate variations on mother sauces... just decide what the fundamental technique used in the sauce is, and then based on that, decide weather or not its a derivative... dont let the naming throw you off...just because its not listed in the classical repertoire doesn't mean its not a derivative... for instance, any tomato based sauces could be considered a derivative of red sauce...   take a look at the french laundry menu, the cuisses de grenouille...
use a shallow perf pan over a deeper pan with some water in it, lay the slices out on butcher paper with space around the sides to allow the water to breathe up, lid it....just kidding... or better yet just spritz them with some extra virgin... also, it shouldn't dry out as fast if its refrigerated.. but it should be served at room temperature