or Connect

Posts by roadDOG

Oops, ordered the Soft Ark from Hall's already. No problem though, I will move the Surgical Black up in my priority list.   Out of curiosity, could one of the water stones that were discussed be used in place of the Surgical Black? I'm thinking either the King 6000 side or possibly the Takenoko. I plan to try your suggesion of using the oil stones dry.   Little update on future knives. The Konosuke HD 240mm Wa-Gyuto, Konosuke HD Wa-Petty and the Suien VC Cleaver...
After some thought, I've decided on a few things. Even though it doesn't follow what I originally wanted to do, I think it's the best choice for me at this point. If I'm off base on anything, please let me know.   I ordered the oil stone kit BDL suggested, minus the Surgical Black for now. Even f i decide not to use them on my current kitchen cutlery, they should be good for some of the old hunting and pocket knives I have. Also picked up the IM50 case, looked to be...
OK, think I need to take some time to process everything. Want to look over the oil stones BDL mentioned, as well as look at some of the combi stones available. Any in particular that I should look at, or any that I should stay away from? King and Norton seem to be the most common after a quick search.   Concerning Naniwa SS stones, would I be better served with the 1k and 3k or the 1k and 5k? Asking this based on using them to learn technique.
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses. Not so much going for an ultimate kit, but future purchases rank high in my decision. Money is a factor, but more in the sense that I will have to spread the purchases out over time. From the sounds of it, that isn't a bad thing.   Not sure if I would need what the Gesshin 8000 offers or not. It seems like the higher grit stone choices are more dependent on what knife you are sharpening, considering the different steels and...
Inexperienced sharpener here, looking to put a stone set together. Current knives include a Forschner Fibrox 8" Chefs knife and a Winco 8" Chinese cleaver. Also have a Dexter-Russell 8" Chinese cleaver on the way. The first two are recent purchases, used very little, so they are basically OOTB sharp. I do have a few higer end Japanese knives picked out for future purchase, but want to hold off until I get the basics of sharpening down.   Seems the following stones...