or Connect

Posts by BDD8

Larch wood is indeed softer than maple (http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/chart_janka.pdf). So, I guess I will be considering a larch wood board as one of my choices. Do I go with an end-grain larch wood board or a Black Loon maple edge-grain board? Hmmm... :)
I'm just going on what I read regarding woods being too hard. Here is the paragraph from The Boardsmith Interational" FAQ...   Is there a wood that is to hard? - Woods that measure 850 to 1600 on the Janka hardness scale will be good for a board. A measurement above 1600 will be tougher on the knife edges. A partial list contains: Ipe, Teak, Southern Chestnut, Bloodwood, Tigerwood, Purpleheart, Jarrah, Bubinga, Merbau, Hickory/Pecan, Acacia, most Bamboo and Wenge. Also,...
A Canadian company is starting to get some mention when asked for chopping block/cutting board recommendations. How is "Larch Wood" on sharp knives. Is it too hard? I know teak is. As much as i like teak (e.g. patio furniture). The Boardsmith International FAQ says that a rating of over 1600 is too hard. Teak happens to be one of those woods. Don't know about "Larch wood". Never heard of it before i began looking into buying a quality end-grain board.
I agree totally. I'll find out only by spending time using a cleaver (of which there are many varieties as you know...size, eight, some designed for chopping and others slicing). I've done all my cooking to date with a western style chef's knife.    I posted this question because I was curious to know what experienced chef's and ex-chef's preferred at home or at work. And why. 
Hi Dave,   Why for you a Gyuto 95% of the time? Do they not do the same work? Assuming the cleaver is for slicing (thinner profile..as opposed to a cleaver designed for chopping through bone. What is it about the design of a typical gyuto more suited to your style of cooking? Are there tasks a cleaver wouldn't be able to do for you that a gyuto can?   In some kitchens the cleaver is the main knife used (e.g. Chinese restaurants/homes). Utility knife...Indian homes.
"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!!" (Godfather movie ref...not word for word but you get the idea). Was about to post another thread when i noticed people were still commenting on this one.   No and NO. :) I just had an epiphany about kitchen knives.    Wines? Perhaps. Cars? No (e.g. Fiat 500 vs Ferrari 458...difference in all respects is plain as day). $2500 Hinoura vs $100 Tojiro...Is there $2400 worth more of "intrinsic value"? HELL NO!! Not for a...
Hi Brass,    No. As I mentioned (in a few of my other threads) I'm temporarily staying in LA right now. Won't be buying till I'm home at the end of the year. So I haven't decided. But I think I'll start with a cleaver in the sub-$100 range. I'm sure I could find a sub-$50 CCK or Dexter.    I asked about preference just out of curiosity. And to try to find out if there was any real reason why an experienced chef (or ex-chef) would choose a "chef's knife" over a...
Curious to know which of the two knives (I suppose some wouldn't call a cleaver a "knife" but for the sake of argument...) which do you prefer to use 95% of the time? At home and/or at work. Love to hear from chefs and ex-chefs. 
HAH!! And that is the other reason why I would almost never spend over $400 on a single kitchen knife. We're buying a tool to help us prep our meals. Cut carrots, tomato, meat...etc. So any "artistry" there is or is perceived becomes moot IMHO. And also why I think talking about as you put it the "minutae" between kitchen knives only gets one so far. But I'm no kitchen knife nerd so if they want to go on for hours on kitchen knife steel, geometry...how this $2500 Hinoura...
Income? Sure. But not in my case. My point was...being that I'm not a chef (or an ex-chef)...and quite honestly I don't see the "art" in a $2500 kitchen knife that much more appealing than one costing 1/5 as much. But this is just me. As I said...art is subjective. So if some one wants to spend $800 on a knife all the power to him/her. Or if they want to buy that $2500 Hinoura. It's just not going to be me. :)    Now if we're talking about Japanese swords that's a...