or Connect

Posts by jc2012

And another update: I was able to graduate :) life is good.
Well I was lucky enough to get a 10" Henckels Four Star knife for $40! One of the chef's at school sold it to me and it holds a great edge I just have to get use to the size of it. I felt bad knowing it's worth more than $40 but then he told me he purchased it with two Henckels steak knives, and 8" Henckels Four Star Chef Knife, a Henckels steel, and vegetable peeler for $25. I guess he profited off the one knife and got his other stuff free. So I guess it's good to be...
Well fellas, I promised to keep you updated and things are looking up. My son was born on 6/14 and he's doing well :), my school will be out on 6/23 therefore I'll be able to work. Now about "Failing Culinary" school, I've taken everyone's advice and I have spoken to the chefs, one of the chefs were in my situation when he had his son. Due to the fact that I was there when I was 15 years old for a complete year (Only the beginning of the day which is were we learn 98% of...
I appreciate everyone's reply and although there is a lot more to learn I feel that I'm gaining some knowledge. I've been researching the Japanese Knives, and I do know what you mean about a heavy knife being fatiguing. I wouldn't mind a lighter knife for some simple prep such as cutting a tomato! Where you want the sharpest possible blade so it can keep it's structure! I might look into the German style knives due to the fact that I'd rather feel the effects of fatigue...
Hi everyone!   I kind of broke the rules and posted threads before I introduced myself, but I very much enjoy reading post and threads on these forums. I see there are really respectful individuals here who both love to cook and enjoy talking about it.   About myself:   I'm 20 years old going to school to get my culinary certification at a local technical college full time and working full time as a line cook at popular chain restaurant which gets quite busy....
So I'm currently a Line Cook and a culinary student who uses knives both in school, home and even on the line in plenty of cases. The knives I usually use to get the job done don't belong to me and they are relatively cheap, abused, and extremely dull.   So I'm looking to purchase a knife preferably under $200 dollars, there is only one problem...I have no clue on what to purchase due to the fact that I am clueless on knives.   Not saying that I don't know how to...
I talked to the dean and they told me i have to write a letter stating why my attendence is so low with copies of any doctor notes or legal notes that may excuse my reason if absence. But fortunately I have the chef instructors on my side because they understand but there is little they can do, unfortunately if the "petition letter" works and I can continue on in my school I cannot fall lower on my attendance. But I'll do what ever I can possibly do for me and my...
Scroll down to the part in blue if you don't feel like reading for 5-hours   So yeah I can unfortunately say that I'm hurting in Culinary school, not really throwing a pity party but more of asking what I should or can do in the current situation to better my career.    Currently, I'm going to a 1200 hour program at a technical center. I'm 20 years old and soon to be a young father (no regrets), but in order to prepare for fatherhood and pay off some mistakes...