or Connect

Posts by boudreauxcooks

Sometimes it just comes down to kitchen equipment...like a convection oven up to a certain point for your casseroles, hold chilled maybe and in the i5 just before service for temp and color...eggs are such a tricky protein.....That's one thing I haven't encountered yet at school, holding casseroles for a line
We have those same resources down here in Louisiana...I'm sure Atlanta HAS to have them also, pork is huge in the south.
Yes, it's automated for speed and accuracy...I remember as a child, a local store where the men who owned the store were butchers and did all the butchering right out in the open behind the counter for all to see.  I was a beautiful sight, get out the hand saw to cut your chops to order.  Nothing like the feel of a sharp knife to meat...as our meat Chef would tell us in de boning chickens...clean machines LOL .... the advanced meat fab class is always filled, have a...
Wow...your post really hits home for me.  I realize the magnitude of the complete culinary education that I am receiving at JFCI in Thibodaux, LA.  The art of meat fab is definitely a dying art...shame because if you have someone who knows how to butcher you can save some money buying primal cuts...using scraps for stocks, sausages and the like...also offer unique menu items. I'm sure there have to be some establishments in Atlanta where there are true butchers, you...
It was mentioned to use pastries (scones) from a local baker.  Any chef knows that biscuits and scones are the easiest and cost effective things to make.  Scones are also easy to change, different flavors, sweetened with citrus rinds, raisins, currants, fresh berries, or savory with herbs and spices and cheese.  I think the biggest thing you have to do it find good basic recipes and prepare them over and over until you have them down where they come out consistant.  From...
In my 3rd year at JFCI and the first book required is ON COOKING, A Textbook of Culinary Fundamentals - ISBN 9780137155767, we refer back to it our entire time there.  Two other books required for specific classes, Professional BAKING- ISBN 9780471783480 and The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen, GARDE MANGER,CIA - ISB 9780470055908 These are excellent instructional guides with recipes. Just thought I'd share our required texts and and let you know they are...
Chef, I mean no disrespect to your vast knowledge of culinary. However when it comes to culinary students, I believe it is best to teach them the classic method. To cut corners and teach them to use a blender for a classic mother sauce is just not giving them the true knowledge of culinary arts. Being a student myself, I can say that in my sauces class no student burned themselves, many a student did curdle the yolk however. It was through the hands on experience in the...
I'm also looking for a commercial grade range for my home.  Reason I'm saying commercial grade is I desire the high BTU, 18K and the sort.  Could go with a 36" or a larger if I take out the tacky built in desk area in my kitchen.  Just want to get a good quality that puts out the BTU's and has grates and burners that will withstand a lot of cooking and an oven that will handle a full sheet.  Also saw some ranges with a second smaller oven that can be used as a proofer,...
I myself am a Culinary Student at present.  I just completed a class this spring called Bistro, where students run a restaurant, completely student run, FOH and BOH.  This is the only experience I have in a commercial kitchen with high volume.  I can tell you to look for shoes that will give you not only support, but that you can have jel inserts (we had 13 hour shifts where we only sat down for 1/2 hour for family meal at noon and before we cleaned for the night at 10pm...