or Connect

Posts by gonefishin

Dang Ready Freddy, you've gotta stop visiting chains when you visit other areas!      Go in to the fishing ports, to the farm areas...find various slaughter houses, orchards, etc, etc, etc.  There's plenty to see...but the chains are taking over.  Find out what's local and what's in season.  
    Hi Mike,    I thought I included the time with the temp...I went ahead and added it to the original post.  The 131f cook was for 30hours.   Thanks,   Dan        Hi chefwriter, I agree with everything you had said.  I can certainly appreciate the benefits that sous vide is giving me...and I believe this is a very strong argument for the use of sous vide in some of my cooking.  But when I'm eating medium rare spare ribs that are tender and delicious...it's a little...
     I have finally gotten around to using my immersion circulator.  So far, I do like this thing!  It's turning out some really nice, flavorful and delicious food.  It can be a little strange for me at times to eat meat that is cooked med rare, yet tender as can be...with the fat and connective tissue broken down as well.        One of the latest that i cooked was a chuck roast cooked to 131f (30hours).  It had the texture of a slow roasted prime rib, perhaps a little...
   Most Important Cooking Skill?            I think the most important cooking skill is not broken down into skill to perform.  Instead, learn the proper methods of cooking.  From there you can adapt, substitute and overcome nearly any obstacle you may encounter when making your food...which is quite different than cooking a recipe.
   Wonderful job, Ordo!  Absolutely stunning burgers!          My perfect burger is no different than many here.  It starts with smartly grown grains high in nutrition coupled with adequate pastures and humane/stress free & proper slaughter practices.      Oh, that and a little salt       Dan
    Thanks Luc!     There seems to be lots of people, around the internet, saying that USDA meat inspectors have been phased out.  I'm not sure where this started from, perhaps it was a semi-clever MEME spread around Facebook...or just confusion with some articles being written about the poultry industry.        I think we all would agree that the USDA needs to jump into the current day.  Are you aware of any new methods being discussed?  I'm not sure I see a way out...
  from related thread...   Can someone show me where all meat inspectors have      Hello Ed,   Can you show me where all meat inspectors were put out of work and replaced by self inspection?  I was aware that this had happened with the Poultry inspectors, But it looks as if beef and pork still have mandatory USDA inspectors.  thanks, Dan
    I'll always have a special place in my heart for offsets.  The first two smokers I learned on were side by sides...and I still love'em!  But at home I use a BackWoods Fatboy smoker.  If I had to replace it...I'd do so with another FatBoy or something very similar.  The thing really holds the temp...and you can smoke in temperatures well below freezing.       When looking at smokers keep in mind that all verticals are not the same, just as all offsets are not the same...
   Hi there!        I suppose the first question should be is what you thought of the flavors?  Don't always be scared away from items that carry a heft per pound price tag...one small bulb of garlic can easily weigh just a few ounces.      If you've never grown garlic...do it!  This is the time to start looking and prepare the soil where you plan to plant them.  Do some reading to find how to treat the soil for the garlic you're going to plant this fall.  Treating...
   Wise advice for all involved, Panini!