or Connect

Posts by gonefishin

I agree with the thought of perfecting the techniques that you use, instead of trying to add another something. I would suggest perfecting your technique and possibly/maybe/you don't have to... serve with a glass of red wine. But you better pick a nice pairing there too.
     Thanks Peachcreek.  The brats were a pork, veal, milk and egg recipe.  We were looking for a specific subtle tasting bratwurst and this recipe really fit the bill.  The veal was a 1/8" grind and then mixed in with the eggs, milk and spices to mix and make up the slurry.  Then put the veal slurry mix in with the regular ground pork (shoulder and belly).  Proceed as normal.  If my brother or I ever end up finding a bowl cutter, for a decent price, we'll probably end up...
       That really is a question that needs to be answered.  Wonder if the poster is still out there?    Hey, original poster...come back
    The recipe almost reads like a modified brew in a bag instruction.  When talking about adding additional brewing water to make volume, only way I would consider it, is dealing with a thin sparge.  If you drop below the 2.5 into 2.0P range (or below 1.010 - 1.008) range...you're better off stopping your sparge and filling the boil kettle to the desired volume with additional brewing water.  Pulling below these ranges, during sparge, risks pulling some bad tannins...
  Planethoff,   It sounds like you enjoy making sausage.  I would urge you to get a dedicated stuffer, as it's been said...now it's an easy one man job to pump out small batches.  But also get a different grinder.  Even if it's a cheaper one like the LEM 575W...that grinder still does a decent job.  The KA's just don't grind well.  You want to grind with a sharp knife in a machine that cuts clean and moves the meat through easily.  The problems with the KA as a grinder and...
      I use both Prague #1 and Prague #2...both are pink in color!  With this...don't assume on interpreting a shade of a color pink.  They really should have made #1 pink and #2 orange...or something completely different as they aren't interchangeable.  If your butcher mentioned it's for salami...it's gotta be #2.  But still don't assume with these two            If you don't know 100%, throw it away! 
    Hi Meez,    4.1, 4.2 is right in line with where Guinness dry stout is.  Stouts don't fit the category because of any high amount of base malt, it's the specialty grains, and water profile.  You can certainly get a stout that has a higher ABV than a Guinness dry stout, Russian Imperial Stout's can get pretty high ABV.  Here's a link to Stout profiles and descriptions by sub-category.   But there are a few things odd in that recipe     Mary, nice brew system!
   Mike pretty much covered it.  Using a grinder for stuffing is simply the wrong tool for the job.  It can be used, but shouldn't have ever been given the attachments to do so.  When stuffing, it heats the meat up too much.  While I do love my KitchenAide...it isn't the best grinder either.  Getting a dedicated stuffer is well worth it.      What type to make...any type.  Two websites that I find useful, in a sea of bad information are Wedliny Domowe and LPoli.  Both...
         Hello Betty,   My experience with beef and pork is that the feed can have a drastic effect on variation in taste.  Until I started finding some nice local farms, I too ate grass fed beef from the stores.  Any store from Whole Foods, European Markets and others.  All of their grass fed beef tasted very similar.  Since we moved out in the country, we've got three friends that have cattle farms.  They each use slightly different practices and feed.  Two of them are...