or Connect

Posts by gonefishin

Send some my way...I'll crack'em for ya   Chris. I see your location has changed...congrats     I made some gumbo yesterday, it had left over meat that was in the freezer...Berkshire pork loin, smoked sausage, swordfish and scallops.    Too often people wait to make gumbo until they have a crowd of people and then make a huge pot.  That's all well and good...but a normal gumbo recipe is good for 4-6 people, sometimes with a little left over.  If that's too large a...
   Like ManyKnives mentioned, you add the protein parts at the end.       I always simmer my gumbo for a good amount of time.  I get all my ingredients cut, measured and ready before I start my roux.  After my roux is complete I'll put the gumbo together.  But I reserve my final proteins for the end.  Even if you're adding chicken in there it's likely to be a shredded overcooked mess, so save your final proteins until the end.  But, I will add the shrimp head/tails,...
   Like others, I would question of you preheated your pan enough and if you flipped too early.       Here's a post I made some time ago about how long it took to preheat a cast iron pan at work.  I did two heating methods, one using an easy medium flame, which produced good even heating across the pan...and the other method was a high heat flame, which heated the entire pan up quicker, but with a good deal of difference in the temperatures across the pan.  But in the...
     I had thought that poultry was currently under self-inspection...I was wrong as well.      I just got off the phone with my slaughter house and they said they couldn't operate if the USDA inspector wasn't there.  They said he is on site every hour that they're open and slaughtering animals...they wouldn't be able to operate, as they do, any other way...she said.     I can understand how people may not be happy with some of our current inspection methods, but the...
      Dang Ready Freddy, you've gotta stop visiting chains when you visit other areas!      Go in to the fishing ports, to the farm areas...find various slaughter houses, orchards, etc, etc, etc.  There's plenty to see...but the chains are taking over.  Find out what's local and what's in season.  
    Hi Mike,    I thought I included the time with the temp...I went ahead and added it to the original post.  The 131f cook was for 30hours.   Thanks,   Dan        Hi chefwriter, I agree with everything you had said.  I can certainly appreciate the benefits that sous vide is giving me...and I believe this is a very strong argument for the use of sous vide in some of my cooking.  But when I'm eating medium rare spare ribs that are tender and delicious...it's a little...
     I have finally gotten around to using my immersion circulator.  So far, I do like this thing!  It's turning out some really nice, flavorful and delicious food.  It can be a little strange for me at times to eat meat that is cooked med rare, yet tender as can be...with the fat and connective tissue broken down as well.        One of the latest that i cooked was a chuck roast cooked to 131f (30hours).  It had the texture of a slow roasted prime rib, perhaps a little...
   Most Important Cooking Skill?            I think the most important cooking skill is not broken down into skill to perform.  Instead, learn the proper methods of cooking.  From there you can adapt, substitute and overcome nearly any obstacle you may encounter when making your food...which is quite different than cooking a recipe.
   Wonderful job, Ordo!  Absolutely stunning burgers!          My perfect burger is no different than many here.  It starts with smartly grown grains high in nutrition coupled with adequate pastures and humane/stress free & proper slaughter practices.      Oh, that and a little salt       Dan
    Thanks Luc!     There seems to be lots of people, around the internet, saying that USDA meat inspectors have been phased out.  I'm not sure where this started from, perhaps it was a semi-clever MEME spread around Facebook...or just confusion with some articles being written about the poultry industry.        I think we all would agree that the USDA needs to jump into the current day.  Are you aware of any new methods being discussed?  I'm not sure I see a way out...