or Connect

Posts by Garth Beaumont

Better safe than sorry ~  
Not much ~
Here is a salmon teriyaki with a twist ~   before   after
I have been thinking of a flavor in my mind for quite some time and trying to create a base rub unique to the world drawing on my southeast Texas experience.  I got the itch to experiment with flavors.  Here is an excellent outcome for you to try ~  It is pretty interesting.  I added Schezwan peppercorns and coriander and modified amounts.  I toasted the coriander in a black iron skillet.  I pulverized 1 cup of pink Himalayan sea salt, 1 cup of Tellicherry black...
I'm very familiar.  George Herter was one of a kind!  
Good stuff ~  
MaryB, your chili sounds divine!  Here are my kitchen notes from my last batch of breakfast sausage.  I buy a Boston shoulder from Whole Foods and cut into 2" chunks.  I season well prior to grinding.  Unless the pig was happy right up to the instant it was butchered, I don't want it.  I truly believe Whole Foods Happy Pig pork tastes far better than regular yard pork!  I was experimenting on this last batch of sausage and it came out very good.   
Sure, no worries ~  
Good stuff ~           Here are some of my chili notes and believe me I know it varies by region.  It's all good ~   Through the years many well meaning folks have tried their level best to define Texas Chili.During the heyday of chili cooking competitions, CASI (Chili Appreciation Society International) required contestants to create a stew of meat and gravy only. Fillers would disqualify you. Some so called purist would be outright mean about the...
I buy bulk corn tortillas and cut them into thirds and bake them on a cookie sheet without any spray.  Cake them at 250 until they are golden and crisp.  I check on them often and turn them at least once.  If you insist on adding salt a small spray bottle works great to help make the salt stick.  I lay out as many as I can get on a cooking sheet overlapping each chip by about half.  You want to flip the entire row at one time.  If you time it just right they are easy to...