or Connect

Posts by brasschef

Thank you for the response. I had assumed I'd get a response along those lines but I wasn't entirely sure how much of a difference single beveled edges made, having never tried one. I have been attempting katsuramuki with my Chinese chefs cleaver up to this point with decent results. I suppose I will start looking for a better set of sharpening tools instead, though I will probably keep looking to sate my curiosity. Thank you for directing my to kkf forums by the way -...
To make it short, I would really love to practice some of the arts of very high quality sushi making, and from what I've been told this is a skill I'd be wise to learn. Unfortunately, I have to operate on a college student budget...and usuba bocho do not seem to have an economy level. so my question is....what is the best way I can learn this without one, or is there some slightly lesser knife out there that's still capable of adequately practicing it? and on that...
I'll be trying my hand at soda brewing this summer, personally. I'll probably attempt some ginger beer - partly because homemade ginger beer appears in quite a few summer cocktails it seems. aside from the moscow mule chicagoterry mentioned, I've heard of something called a dark and stormy - good ginger beer on ice with a dash of dark rum. As for nonalcoholic I really enjoy brewing a pitcher of good quality green tea, sweetening it up a bit, and tossing in a few orange...
As a current Johnson and Wales student, I can't claim to have complete knowledge of this, but I can tell you what I do know. I've realized looking around at some of the alumni I've seen that the degree itself is fairly meaningless. What isn't, however, is the amount of resources at your disposal from within the school. If you're willing to take a few extra steps, talk to people outside of class, and make use of everything outside of the main curriculum, there are quite a...
For a school project I have to interview a professional in my field (culinary.) Having very few actual connections as a college freshman, I would like to ask any willing professional here for a few moments of your time, the interview has a maximum length of a half hour, so not too much. I'm still preparing and creating a list of questions, so it doesn't need to be immediately, but I'd like to know who would be willing to help me, and when ahead of schedule. Thank you in...
Excuse me if this is in the wrong thread ( I really wasn't sure where else to ask), but I could use some assistance if anyone would be willing to help. I've been assigned to interview a culinary professional, and don't exactly have a lot of connections to anyone close by just yet. All I need is a maximum of a half hour long interview about you and your experiences in the culinary field. I still need time to write up a few questions and prepare, but I'd like to know a bit...
the sides of my carbon steel wok look about the same - it's not a failure, just not quite there yet. Just start using it a bit (nothing too sticky just yet), especially at high heats, and a nice jet black shine will start to develop      Edit: the buildup is kind of an issue though. a bit too much oil. Try to scrub it and maybe do one last coat of oil. I've heard oiling an oiled rag with a bit of salt get good results with a bit less smoke.
As far as federal loans I WILL have to do more research, but so far they've given me 5,500 worth of stafford loans. Also, my credit is unestablished, as I'm only 18 and haven't borrowed money yet, though I will be able to pay off the loans judging from how my parents and I broke down the cost. Also, 20,00 probably won't be my end cost, as I should have several scholarships coming in AFTER I have to take out the loan. 
I was accepted to JWU Charlotte several months ago. It's my dream college and also why I'm struggling to pay so badly. I plan to talk to my adviser today but I wanted to know what other options I hadn't picked up on. Loans are a problem too...bad credit and a few government debts in my family means none of my parents can take out a loan that big...I might end up taking out several loans with different co-signers failing all else...I don't want to wait until I get money...
I'm not so sure you can save the non-stick coating, but if you scrub it off there are uses for pans that aren't teflon coated.