or Connect

Posts by markherm13

I like to scrub mine down with a mixture of salt and oil. The salt serves as abrasive to helps scrub and clean and also helps pull any unwanted water/ moisture from the pan. A bit messy but it works for me. Hope this helps, good luck!
Also, I forgot to mention that learning about the knives was fun! I developed a whole new appreciation for them.
There are many tangible benefits of buying a more expensive knife, it just depends on what the buyer wants. Fit and finish, knuckle clearance, HRC, type of metal, construction of blade, blacksmith/company, angle of grind, ect. All play into what the buyer deems a good knife for them. Even though the Damascus forged or hammered finish do look amazing, it also serves a purpose in performance via release. The demples in the blade release air pockets and help product release...
I totally agree it is popular and trendy, and that there are so many other choices to choose from instead of using Balsamic quite often. There are some dishes that Balsamic vin. goes absolutely beautifully with and just cause it is trending doesn't mean one shouldn't use it, if it works. I guess there should be a healthy balance of trying new things and using what works. Thanks for the input!
The "if you couldn't make an enjoyable vinegarette with it, don't cook with it" rule of thumb is great. That is what I have adopted. Thanks guys.
I know a basic rule of thumb for cooking with wine; if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. I am preparing a roasted pork loin (seasoned w/ s&p, fresh herb, browned in skillet then transferred to baking dish and cooked/braised in balsamic vin.) I want to use quality vinegar, but nothing terribly expensive that might be better for finishing or garnishing a dish. What rule of thumb to you guys use for selected a vinegar to cook with?
Hello Everyone, I live in one of the bigger food cities in the south and as I have come to learn, in this city, word gets around fast amoungst the food/beverage/hospitality industry "subculture". So first impressions and reputations are very critical in establishing yourself here. So I am placing great emphasis first and foremost on my resume, more than I have ever before. To get to the questions: 1) Should your resume include all of your past jobs or just the previous 3...
There are a lot of job opportunities in the Gulf working offshore in the kitchen. I am curious and am tempted to get my certifications (TWIC, ect..) to allow me to do so. I know you work 84 hour weeks and the money ends up being nice, you work 14 days on and 14 off or a similar variation of that depending on the company (7/7, 21/7). Anyone have any experience offshore they could share?
I think I know the answer to this question but I just want to verify: We have an employee that had an physical altercation, her second, along with constant insubordination over the past few months bc the owner and her are on good terms personally and she knows she can get away with most anything. I am a manager and I have zero tolerance for violence in the work place, but the owner is the only one who can fire employees. I love my job, so much potential. It's an old Maison...
I have been working for 10 years now and I have a passion for cooking. For the sake of keeping this post short; I want to cook, I find joy in creativity and farm to table environments. Getting to know who and where your food comes from is a beautiful thing to me. I just feel I can't find my niche and am frustrated. It's hard to be passionate about something and willing to put in the work, but not find your place in the industry. Anyone every had to deal with an issue...