or Connect

Posts by markherm13

At least in New Orleans, locally sourced garlic comes straight from the farm to the restaurant, so we really don't have that option to get the peeled. Plus peeling fresh garlic is fresher just taste better and isn't processed and sometimes bleached.
I asked my butcher what he thought were the most flavorful cut of beef were used for steaks and he said; 1) Spinalis Dorsi aka butcher's butter, rib cap 2) filet mignon 3) Terres major aka bistro steak Elk, Bison and goat come to mind for variations that are easy to get. Porterhouse porkchop is another idea too.
Had a friend's son have the same problem. He first applied for disability, which can be a long process and a pain in the butt, but it provided him with financial support through a rough transition in his life. He also took his 15 years of kitchen experience and became a food rep. That later opened more doors up outside of the food industry. Hopefully this helps in some way. Good luck.
Peeling, coring and mincing garlic.
I know Sous Chef translates to "under chef". KM is kind of self explanatory. In my experience some places already have a menu in place and just need someone to manage and uphold a standard set by an owner or corporation. Where as a sous, you are responsible to uphold and standard of the executive chef, whom is responsible for creating menus, changing menus seasonally in some places, and is set up more traditionally like a brigade. I don't know how flexible you boss is...
I like to scrub mine down with a mixture of salt and oil. The salt serves as abrasive to helps scrub and clean and also helps pull any unwanted water/ moisture from the pan. A bit messy but it works for me. Hope this helps, good luck!
Also, I forgot to mention that learning about the knives was fun! I developed a whole new appreciation for them.
There are many tangible benefits of buying a more expensive knife, it just depends on what the buyer wants. Fit and finish, knuckle clearance, HRC, type of metal, construction of blade, blacksmith/company, angle of grind, ect. All play into what the buyer deems a good knife for them. Even though the Damascus forged or hammered finish do look amazing, it also serves a purpose in performance via release. The demples in the blade release air pockets and help product release...
I totally agree it is popular and trendy, and that there are so many other choices to choose from instead of using Balsamic quite often. There are some dishes that Balsamic vin. goes absolutely beautifully with and just cause it is trending doesn't mean one shouldn't use it, if it works. I guess there should be a healthy balance of trying new things and using what works. Thanks for the input!
The "if you couldn't make an enjoyable vinegarette with it, don't cook with it" rule of thumb is great. That is what I have adopted. Thanks guys.