or Connect

Posts by markherm13

I have been working for 10 years now and I have a passion for cooking. For the sake of keeping this post short; I want to cook, I find joy in creativity and farm to table environments. Getting to know who and where your food comes from is a beautiful thing to me. I just feel I can't find my niche and am frustrated. It's hard to be passionate about something and willing to put in the work, but not find your place in the industry. Anyone every had to deal with an issue...
I am at a crossroads in my career: I am 29 years old and have been self taught for the most part. A few Sous Chef I have worked for have taken a liking to me bc of my passion of the art and taught me too. I am currently in New Orleans and have been extended a job offer at arguably the best restaraunt in town, the same place Emeril Lagasse gained him fame as an executive chef. So, to cut the fat and get to it; does job experience at a nationally recognize restaraunt hold...
Hello everyone, My name is Mark and I at a crossroads in my career. I have been a line cook for almost 10 years and I have made a decision that, for me, I need some sort of certification or degree to take my career to the next level. I have heard programs at community colleges are affordable and are great if you plan to stay in the area, but are not necessarily recognized nationally like some of the big name programs (JWU, CIA, FCI, ect) that cost much more. Certifications...
I am writing a letter to the Executive Chef at the Charlotte country club trying to get my food in the door to stage there. i started a rough draft, am I headed in the right direction?   To Chef,       I am a cook from Augusta, Georgia, very interested in staging under you and your expertise. I have the passion and desire to have a successful career and want to learn from a professional with the advanced education, employment credentials and overall success in...
I was able to find a free range chicken to cook at a local market and i want to do a very simple roast in a 12" skillet.   1)Unfortunately i do not own a 12" cast iron skillet but i do own a 12" stainless steel skillet that was given to me after my grandmothers death. The thing has plastic on part of the handle. I don't think it would melt off during the oven roast if i cook around 350 degrees but i am not 100% sure so i think i might wrap the plastic part in tin...
What brand to you particularly like?  
I want to buy some slip-on or clogs but i am hesitant b/c i fear that they might give me shin splints. I do enjoy a nice snug shoe, not small but snug around my foot. So for those who own slip-on shoes, have you ever experienced this problem?
Buy some small flour tortillas Cut filets into three equal pieces, pat dry and season with S&P. Put saute pan on stove and turn to med high. When pan begins to smoke just a bit add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of pan. Maybe a little more olive oil if this is your first time. Wait for oil to heat up and start to almost bead up kinda when you tilt the pan. Be patient for the oil to heat up. when oil is hot tilt the pan around to make sure all of the pan is coated...
I have been working as a line cook for 7 years at various resturants but for the past 6 I have only been cooking for a paycheck not for the love of the art. I finally got a job that is 1 tier above you typical cooperate resturant. You actually cook the food to order! I am grossly obsessed with cooking now. The history, the culture, the science, the tools of the trade, the creativity and the satisfaction of putting together a dish that was once just a thought in my mind...
Take some time to look at some schools in the U.S. first. Fill out FAFSA and apply for AS MANY scholarships as possible. If you have no work experience try to find a job for a semester. Pick a resturant that you might be able to use as a reference to help you with being accepted where ever you might go. Do your research, graduation rates, Alumni, instructors, cost of living, so forth and so on. Figure out what you are paying for. Is it just instruction? will the school...