or Connect

Posts by ChefAmos

I joined you a few weeks ago, but have been swamped with work - which is a blessing in this economy!  I am now playing catch-up.  Let me introduce myself:   I am the Executive Research Chef for product development for Walnut Ridge Farm Foods LLC (Aug 2005 to present) in Cassopolis, Michigan   I find new ways to create food products from the resources of Walnut Ridge Farm, a sustainable, natural, organic and totally exciting place to live and...
Mahalo!  What?! No kitchen sink?... They certainly plumped up a basically good idea.  OK.  There may be a couple of practical options to try.  If I had this product, I'd try it like this.  I'd try reducing it to a thicker sauce and use that sauce, with the addition of seedless white raisins, to dress some poached pears with, perhaps a dollop of mascarpone or whipped cream.  I would also use that same sauce on a roast goose, where I'm confident it would work, and I'd try...
I wondering what the base of the syrup is - a simple syrup, or brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup?  What's your guess?  Then maybe we can think of something interesting.  You say it is lemony - what other flavors are there?  Cinnamon, allspice, clove perhaps.  Anxiously awaiting your reply.
LARD! Fat's where its at!  I agree with everyone's comments here.  The key, though, for me, is using real lard - not the hydrogenated stuff.  Buy a few pounds of Mangalitsa pig lard.  Freeze what you won't be using.  We buy it by the tub or in 1 lb blocks. There was a time when folks would spread lard on bread and have a sandwich.  And lard, interestingly, is 'healthier' than butter... oh, the fried potatoes, donuts, but I digress.  Happy baking!
The Larch!  Reminds me of a Monty Python bit.  Larch is a very common wood in Europe.  I'm really happy lately using large bamboo cutting boards.  The knives seem to like it and I've not noticed any real punishment issues.  Always remember that butchers have been happy with nice, heavy oak blocks for generations - they will take a cleaver's punishment, to say nothing of all the tools in a chef's arsenal.  They are available on line and a nice block is not a painful...
ITALIAN TUNA FANS: Perhaps you're referring to the Tonino GENOVA brand.  Very good, around $2.50 for the 5oz can in our market.  Far preferable to any water-packed, and any other vegetable or olive oil-packed tuna I've used or tasted.  Solid light style, not shreds, bits or sawdust...wild caught, Mediterranean premium yellowfin, dolphin safe - what more could one ask?  Next to canning one's own tuna, this is an exceptional product.