or Connect

Posts by Clove48

Margaux,   And you have some of the best almonds in the world in Spain - Marcona   Chuck
Ingredients: 1 3lb butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes 1/2 C of Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 whole nutmeg - for grating 2 large eggs - beaten Salt and Pepper 1 lb of fresh pasta sheets - or - fresh made egg pasta    Method: Pre-heat the oven to 350 F Roast the squash on a sheet pan, drizzled with Olive Oil and seasoned with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg, for about 15 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven to...
Several years ago, while traveling through Italy, a good friend of mine introduced me to Lidia Bastianich. We had a few overlapping stops on our itineraries and we were able to eat together one night in Montefalco (Umbria). One of the recipes we discussed was the one below, which I now understand has appeared on her website.   Tagliatelle with Leek Sauce   2 sweet Italian sausages 2 large leeks 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil 1 minced...
  Margaux (Margcata),   I am a professional Chef but no longer in the restaurant business. Studied for 4 years in Italy (in Puglia and Emilia-Romagna) and have travel all through the Mediterranean (and the World too). Right now, I'm very selective and only take small to medium-sized catering or teaching / catering jobs. As I go back to Europe every year or two and spend most of my time in Italy (with friends), I am planning to return to Spain in the next few years. Maybe...
...and I'm partial to Scharffen Berger, made in the 'ol USA (San Francisco, CA)
A nice Spanish omelet with potatoes, onions, red peeper and some chorizo.
Risi e Bisi – Rice with Peas   Ingredients Chicken Stock - 4 C  Butter - 2oz Onion - 1 medium - chopped Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 4 tbs  Pancetta - 2 oz Parmigiano Reggiano - 4 Tbls shredded  Pepper to taste  Fresh Peas - 2 lbs    Parsley - handful chopped  Rice – Vialone Nano  or Aborio – ¾ lb   Method Prepare stock and leave to cool.  In the meantime,...
Al,   The skin on a pork chop creates 2 issues with which to deal:   You are cooking a muscle tissue with most of the meat that is best cooked to about 147F. You have the tough skin attached that is best served when cooked well-done (think crackling).   This is why 99.99% of the chops sold, cut from the short loin of the pig, are skinless.   Possible solution is a braise which will keep the meat moist (for a time) and soften the skin. Or cook...
Everyone is familiar with Pesto alla Genovese from Liguria (made with basil, pine nuts, garlic, parmigiano and olive oil) but pesto is made all over Italy from the local ingredients. Here's one from the south - Sicily   Ingredients: ¾ lb of ripe cherry tomatoes 12 fresh basil leaves 1/3 c of whole almonds, toasted 1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste ½ tsp coarse salt, or to taste ½ c...
Sugo alla Puttanesca   Ingredients: 1/2 cup pitted oil cured black olives, sliced 4  salt packed anchovy fillets - boned and well rinsed 2 garlic cloves - thinly sliced 3 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and minced 1 1/2 C of basic tomato sauce Dried red pepper flakes to taste* 1 lb spaghetti   Method: Add the garlic and the red pepper flakes* to a sauté pan and sauté in...