or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

The perfect solution IMO is to have a separate room for all of the fancy work. No ovens no dish pit nothing that puts off constant heat/humidity as it is all those things that cause the FUBAR situations in the first place (maybe allow a home kitchen type reefer)..... Put this hobbit hole on a separate a/c and thermostat (there are small room units available that don't need a window to install) and regulate for the best temp for your situation. I doubt you could get this...
Or have you (thinking that more is better or trying to cut calories/fat/whatever) been tweeking your recipes?   mimi
I totally agree with changing pans but if your oven is running true (well close anyway) and the dishes are all of a sudden going wonky then the pan may not be your problem. What I mean is that just changing pans may not fix things.   Have you changed brands of ingredients? Have any of your usual ingredients changed formulas?   With the soaring cost of baking products I have noticed changes in some of my go to products (I suppose the reasoning is to avoid yet another...
Now that you mention it .... mimi
Forgot too add... when the MOB returned my rentals the next week I asked her about the interior temp of the cake when it was cut. I asked pretending to be concerned about the sunny location of the bride's cake table. She said it was nice and cool and cut like a charm.   mimi
If I stopped production because of humidity nothing would ever get done. Over the years I learned to just deal with it.   Unless the sides are sliding down and pooling at the bottom of the cake I don't consider it a problem. A wet cake can always be dealt with. @JCakes mentioned one...the cardboard box will absorb most of the extra moisture (when bringing fondant covered whatever back to room temp)  and a very clean fan will take care of the rest. Just don't touch...
Welcome to Chef Talk ! I notice your location is the Napa Valley and hope your crop(s) and home are far far away from the current wildfires...   When I hear or read the location Napa I automatically think grapes but have also read there are other things being produced in the rich soil of the valley.   Chef Talk has an entire forum dedicated to gardening if you are interested  http://www.cheftalk.com/f/33/the-chefs-garden   mimi   Wait! You posted valley and I am...
IMO.... I totally agree with what @akat has advised (except one thing... try not to job hop unless there is a very good reason like the sanitary conditions and/or a hostile chef who never teaches you anything ) leave on good terms with every job "I have really learned a lot from you but there has been an offer from another chef teaching my kinda food"... Yes get your feet wet and move on when you find another place closer to your desired goals (forgot about that...set...
 I would buy frozen whole spinach then thaw and squeeze out the liquid in paper towels (you may need to do this more than once as there seems to be an inordinate amt of liquid in frozen spinach).Chop it up a bit then at least warm in the micro till the same temp as your sauce.This step will ensure even cooking throughout  the dish. mimi Why whole and not chopped spinach?During the squeezing you run the chance of wasting some as the pieces will stick to the towel and are...
@clairelv awesome job...so cute I want to just pinch myself! I am assuming (the steamer baskets gave them away) that you have made assorted dumplings. Did you use the same dough for each or are some tinted with gel colorings? Which filling is in each?   mimi   Forgot to ask.... did you learn this from an internet site and if so, which one? Because you are right about wanting to learn these with my grandkids. Thanks!   m.