or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

Always nice to have a recipe or two to pull out of your hip pocket at the drop of a hat.The fisherman is taking me on a leaf peeping/Civil War monument and graveyard gawking road trip.We leave in a few days so I am trying to use up all the perishables hanging around in the fridge.Took an inventory this AM and now have a carrot cake in the oven.Sure smells good in here lol.Time to whip up a simple cream cheese icing. mimi
@helpwanted if you go with @panini and his idea there are multitudes of different ways to flavor and customize your little cake. Depending on your mood..... experiment with extracts and oils, maybe a bit of dutched cocoa (is darker and stronger in flavor so a tiny bit goes a long way... won't mess up the wet/dry ratio) maybe some citrus rind...on and on. Someone here on CT was looking for a recipe for a bulk mix last week and I remembered the Old Betty Crocker cookbook...
@Panini are you advising a bulk style "homemade" cake mix? Then all @helpwanted would have to do when the mood for cake strikes is measure out her mix and add the egg and liquid? Awesome suggestion ..... I may need to borrow a bit of your OCD sometime. It seems yours is worse (or better depending on the proverbial half glass of water) and has once again pulled the rabbit out of the hat!   mimi
An even better one http://www.life123.com/food/baking/baking-tips/a-quick-guide-to-using-different-types-of-flour.shtml   mimi
@helpwanted I was thinking about the task you have undertaken (my OCD kickin' in lol). IMO converting to scale measurements (oz and gms) would make your job way easier than using volume (cups and tablespoons) measurements. Another tip... if you have hit a wall and the scaled down recipe wont behave just move on.. Many cakes are really difficult to adjust (scale down or up) and most of the time it will the pH and the leavenings that are to blame. IMO not worth the time...
When the size egg is not specified use large as almost all recipes are written for that size. About the differences in ingredients and amts the flour does have a lot to do with it. There is a pretty good article about the different flours in post #5 of this link....     Another explaination is the amount of bakers who like to futz around to make a product (cake, pastry whatever) their own. Not unlike the tweaking of savory dishes some bakers want to have their...
Measure out all of the ingredients for you recipe and set aside. Then obtain a half tsp of milk or water or even booze from a different source, toss into the whole egg and whisk. You will only be using half of the egg so the extra liquid is not a big deal. Did that make sense? mimi
If you will add a bit of liquid to the egg before whisking you will find the white and yolk blend together better. Just a little tho and don't use any that is meant for the batter. HTH mimi
I am not a huge fan of Martha Stewart but had these at a brunch a few weeks ago and was impressed. Yes the ingredient list is long and includes yeast but there is no waiting for it to rise. The instructions are a bit fussy as well but IMO if you want great results sometimes ya just gotta work for them lol. http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Cake-Doughnuts-Martha-Stewart   mimi
Panini's answer is a good one. I just have a couple of comments. I have no doubt that you are picking up an eggy aftertaste just wondering if it is the eggs and not your measurements. Do you also taste this strong egg aftertaste when baking a regular size cake? What I am getting at is the normal cake recipe has broken yolks in it also. Have you tried replacing your carton of eggs?   mimi