Posts by flipflopgirl

It usually goes like this... You screw up a dish....you berate yourself and this throws you off the game and the second mistake happens because you are still thinking re the first one and now the third happens ....on and on. Like the Chefs say ... move on after the first one...shake it off and get back in the game. Stuff happens it is how you deal with it that sets the stage for the rest of service.   mimi
Ouch. I just read a story re congress passing (or going to pass?) a bill making it easier for our internet providers to release (sell?) our info. Makes absolutely NO sense to me until I realized if passed the bill would make it easier to set precedent when the spies get caught with their hands in the cookie jars. Please tell me I am wrong and was either dreaming or it is just a fake news plant.   mimi   OBTW....great answer re the cork question. Thanks for taking...
  ...and there you go....@SGSVirgil did you change your name? mimi
 Don't think you will get a reply from @Virgil as his thread is over a year old (and he seems to be MIA) but that is ok.In case someone is ever seeking an answer to your ? they will find an answer waiting.....not that I am an expert or anything... fact checked my answer to make sure nothing has changed in the WOW (world of wine) before posting. Every wine that has a cork stopper should be stored so the fluid inside keeps the cork saturated.Why?A dry cork is much more apt...
IMO seafood sausages are a more upscale item and the presentation should reflect that. The one time I helped do this we packed natural casings and after steaming the look was no where near hitting the mark. We were able to save the day by carefully peeling them (casings) away but given a second chance I would use the collagen sort. Again just my thoughts.   mimi
 Welcome to Chef Talk William..... mimi
I have never had sauerbraten. Don't think I have ever even been anyplace with it on the menu. I live in an area that (used to be) heavily populated by Eastern Europeans who came to the US to homestead land and farm. Mostly Czechs tho... noodles and kolach and sausage.   Back to equilibrium.... the process is called diffusion (can be the word of the day if you want ;-) The process by which all matter inside and around an object becomes the same...(equal). When...
Are you familiar with salt rising bread? The lack of yeast and the cheesy odor both fit but unless you followed the recipe for such my suspicion is your poolish was just in the right place at the right time and became "infected"? Good article in Popular Science.... "The Disquieting Delights of Salt Rising Bread". Is this what happened? Maybe maybe not.. to prove (lol ;-) it the poolish would need to be cultured and examined.   mimi   Thanks for this interesting...
 If whatever you are brining remains tightly covered and/or whatever fluid is lost thru evaporation is replaced (to maintain equilibrium) everything will remain hunky-dory.It is the loss of the fluid that changes the formula and forces whatever you are cooking to absorb more salt. mimi
What did it look like?   mimi   edit...the poolish not the bread.   m.