or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

Sorry I know exactly how confusing the slang can be. When my MIL mother in law was learning how to text one of the Grands ( my own nickname for my grandchildren lol) made her up a chart so as to be able to communicate with the other Grands. I sometimes give up on trying to translate her messages and just call her back. My Son In Law is a Culinary Student. CT could mean anything but it was just a slang for Chef Talk on the World Wide Web ... The description of that...
Back from the dead thanks to a bottle of Niquil and a couple of days of forced sleep..... My SIL the culinary student (henceforth to be AKA the student or CS) has a theory class taught by a Swiss chef from a book like you describe. Dark fabric with Escoffier embossed on front. I wrote down the basic descriptor words (with the CT www addy of course....never pass up free advertisement right?) and he will show it around campus and maybe we can put this thread to bed...
Still with the creeping crud (including 2 useless doc visits) I sent the fisherman out for Niquil a couple of days ago and just SLEPT it off. Woke up this AM with the congestion breaking up and slightly energized. Starting off slowly just lazin' around with you guys..... Been living on carbs and mashed potatos and gravy and am dreading having to try to zip up my jeans Lady K! Your slow to start ( kidding just couldn't help myself ;-) thread has just EXPLODED with lots...
My SIL started his labs right away and mentioned exactly what Nicko brought to the table. He is making his list and wanted me to help him choose good basics like what Nicko mentioned. These are tools that will need to be replaced at the first sign of wear (if they don't grow legs and walk off first lol) like your bamboos and woodens) and some items best left for stainless steel (really sturdy different length tongs and different types of wisks with at least SOME silicone...
I am happy to see improvements in this area. Maybe now more will be willing to spend the extra $$ and get the real deal and not be so tempted to go the hardware store route. I completely understand the temptation to save the money but if the value is now there well...... mimi
Another excellent link.... @MaryB you are dialed in there GF. mimi
Sounds like a plan.... I also think (esp since you are in a small town) using local services as much as possible is a sound business decision. A bank on your town square would IMO be ideal if at all possible. I like how you have taken little pieces of many posted ideas and come up with a solution that is a good fit for you. Come back often ........ mimi
If I may.... The survey was thoughtful and was all sliding scale question. Totally painless and sensible. mimi
Hmmm. Don't trust that Texas Monthly mentions Blacks as the premier joint in Lockhart. Barbeque in Central Texas is a slippery slope. It is Smittys that is the first with the ribs way back before the famous family row that cause a rift between this generation's caretakers of the pit. Blacks was the end of an era and means no more to Smitty devotees than the rediculous toe shapes on boots. Everybody knows boots are meant to have a slightly rounder toe. Not square and...
@MaryB has nailed it! Beef ribs of this type were always so cheap and I would oven roast them at least 3 times a month. Then they disappeared from the Texas grocery stores. Was able to have a few when we butchered a steer every year but they were a bit of a disappointment as the animal would be rather small as this fit our needs. Then there came the ohso chic and popular short ribs that dominated the restaurant menus and the price shot sky high so I just ignored...