or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

Yes mushrooms are like sponges and that is what makes the dehydrated so versatile!I keep several varieties around and plump them up with whatever liquid I am using in the dish.One thing tho....if you plan on using them alone as a topping /side, take the time to pick up fresh. mimi
 I started out on my own doing this very thing for caterers who didn't like to deal with the variables that come with the service end of an event (way back in the day).This little side job that started off as a favor for a few friends grew into a nice little extra money maker. Pricing (plus tip) are different in different locals.How much do you usually make?How much are your PT servers wanting/expecting?Treat them (your staff) right and you will find they won't mind coming...
 *bump* Yes this is an old thread that wanders all over the place but IMO this advice never goes out of date.Take heed all those who are sitting at home planning your first outing as a caterer for someone's wedding or golden anniversary.These sort of events are important dates in people's lives.How would you feel if the second most important part (the first is always the cake lol ;-) of your very special party came thru as a disaster ? Stop and think before putting...
Firstly, welcome to Chef Talk!   Secondly I googled and was surprised to see only one left in Houston, Texas but they have a nice chain of places in other states. Personally have never eaten there (sooo many places to choose from in that area) so had to search for a description (sadly lacking) and found one with a pix attached http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/houstons-restaurant-irvine-3?select=d_w37Q3-X8NvhFz-iYkUmw   Not on the regular menu (an odd thing for a special...
Despite the fact that it has only been a few weeks since I started using this boxed set I want to point it out to those pondering a purchase before they are all gone or price shoots back up (I paid even less so looks like this may be happening). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HBGIBI?keywords=duxtop%20cookware&qid=1454772260&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1   I have been cookware shopping for a few months having completely worn out everything (and wanting to pass on Gma Van's...
This is a good topic. It had never occurred to me to save the suet when trimming (but then again it always seems to be the boys job to butcher) and will pass along to the dedicated knife department lol. My freezer is full of baking scraps (and perishables like nuts) for throw down desserts. Top half baking, bottom half protiens... some home processed items... some just repackaged for the long haul.   mimi
Gma Van never wasted anything so I have used the butter wrapper trick before... I should start doing it again. Altho unless we start eating more butter the 2 of us would rarely have one to add to the collection.   Baker's grease is simple (and CHEAP) to make and handy to have around. Because of the flour I just use it for baking apps (hence the name I suppose  ;-) Equal parts of oil, veg shortening and AP flour...mix with a whisk and brush on. I go thru mine fairly...
Beautiful tutorial! You should post this in the monthly challenge. http://www.cheftalk.com/t/88523/february-2016-challenge-three-part-harmony-a-wrapper-a-filling-a-sauce   You will need a sauce (glaze? gravy?) of some sort to complete the entry requirements.   mimi
My family is not esp close but all agree that to raise kids to be successful, caring and productive takes a village. Everyone has their specialty and we include the small ones as soon as they can understand and follow directions. They require lots of REAL attention love and guidance. Things like the scout programs and 4H are always around to pick up slack for those instances when the parent just cannot be there.   I admire you @Virgil... it seems that you are right on...
 Sheets come in different sizes and depths plus add on collars ....Altho if it was a pan that would seldom see the light of day a regular home 13X9 "cake pan" would work.SS not glass. mimi