or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

Pretty meatWe never pass thru Lafayette without a stop here http://www.donsspecialtymeats.com/Don's first store (don't get me to lieing about the year lol) was about 8 miles north of town (again can show you where to go...or the freeway? # on a map just not that great on directions ) a few miles past the old racetrack.Crafts all his own specialty meats and carries products I can't get here.Do not pass up on the boudin....he makes a seafood style that makes a great...
You should! When you are curious about regional dishes the best place to start is ground zero. I'm about due for a road trip and food is always a great subject to base one on. Lent (and Christmas for some reason) are great times to visit. Lodging prices will be more than fair and lots of places will be running chalkboard specials (and tasting menus!!!).   mimi
 I am one of the grazers.Every couple of hours I gotta eat something.When I sit down to a meal same thing.Not so bad at home when I portion my own plate,But yeah....the waitstaff at our fave places order my meal at half plate size unless I tell them different.The buffet Chinese and all you can eat places?Never go.Well unless it is half shell oysters and boiled shrimp. mimi oopsie ot.
Pretty ! In spite of the roux continuing to darken the final dish maintained the same shade of brown (peanut butter?) So does it tastee gud??? mimi
Good grief just had a heated debate with hubs re gumbo vs étouffée vs dirty rice vs jambalaya . His first wife was from a many generational down the bayou dyed in the wool coon*ss. Her gumbo roux was light and therefore thick. She roasted her chicken then tore into pieces and didn't use okra nor file (the other dish she could make? well...anything with hamburger). Did some fact checking today and even tho the majority of the blogs and recipes, both cookbook and passed down...
Totally agree koukou! You gotta put your own spin on your dishes. IMO if you don't "cook your own food" from your heart you might as well just pick up a quart from the deli down the street...ya know? I was so sad that I missed the meat of this thread. It moved fast with lots of give and take. Like we were all sittin' 'round a big kitchen table with our drink of choice    ....just shootin' the s**t. Love those kinda threads.   mimi
Pretty sure someone will revive this thread at some point... I would like to see some opinions re the addition of "gumbo" crabs. Without those small (oopsie did anyone measure this guy before tossing it in the ice chest?) bottom feeders cleaned under cold water with a stiff brush, broken in half and tossed in with the stock or water, you do not have that brackish bayou flavor my friends and family associate with a seafood gumbo. Seafood gumbo...yes okra, sometimes...
Wow this thread got huge and I was only gone for a tiny minute!. So no room to quote..... Old School..étouffée is just another way to say gravy or smothered down south Louisiana. Don't know how you make your gravy roux but I take mine from just white to a medium tan then add my trinity (cooked soft and held) and then real quick the tomatoes and seasoning and when it is almost thick as it's gonna get then the meat (usually crawfish or shrimp at my house). Taste and adjust...
I am pretty sure there is a question in there somewhere...right? If so the routine info provided with the cry for help is... A. recipe, including the instructions B. anything you did different if you veered away from the recommended instructions C. this is key if the final appearance is unexpected, a pix or three. mimi * actually if you wanna just post the pictures there are those who can probably help you out by just looking at the end result.
Oh my those examples are way more beautiful than anything I could ever pull up with random image searches. Since I first ogled my first girly girl cake (maybe age 4? at my cousin's Quince ball) I was all about the details! Of course that first cake was heavily piped Crisco "buttercream" but as soon as I could manage that huge piping bag....... ;-) Fast forward to my first big show.... I was blown away with all that RI over piping and not to mention all those strings! Never...