or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

Hey Ross ...jak se mas ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolache Mine are a thickish square of dough, fluffy and tender.Slightly sweet, with not too sweet and very thick fruit or other filling added into a depression in the middle.I have seen recipes that listed sour cream in the ingredient list , but never any end product that I would call a cookie.Prune is the other filling I don't favor so instead fill with a thick almost pasty raisin and toasted pecan filling.Some...
Diced tomato, basil and sea salt Ike and Mike Okra, tomato and fresh sweet corn kernels Brandied cherries and shaved bittersweet chocolate Fruit cake using top shelf dried fruit and toasted nuts in spiced rum batter Broken cookies (skip Oreos... done to death) Candied dried cranberries and toasted sliced almonds Old bay spiced chopped shrimp, cream cheese and chopped candied bacon (take on my shrimp dip... fabulous) mimi
Agree with your instinct to switch flours but advise you to ditch the egg white (pure dry protein and will only cause you grief). Kolaches should have the texture of a fluffy, yeast risen dinner roll. I use a recipe given to me by a little old Czech lady (hubs#2 gma). She spent her Mondays doing laundry and baking her breads. for the week. Plain jane AP flour, fresh egg yolks, yeast, salt , butter and a bit of whole milk. Fresh homemade fillings including grinding her...
Roger that (the impossibility of making a quick down and dirty Tiramisu lol). Got everything out and then prepped the ingredient amts . The enormity of the undertaking hit me so stored it all away for mañana. Warmed up some leftover bread pudding and called it a nite mimi
Ohhhh joey! Both look great but I will ask for the traditional portion on a plate.... simply because it looks like a larger portion lol. Hmmm I have all the necessary ingredients in my pantry and still need to produce the mimi and her fisherman's bedtime snack. Will need to flash chill in the freezer but pretty sure my sacrilege will be forgiven!   mimi
  First, welcome to Chef Talk, Smetz!Second (a few points that are hopefully helpful)..... the actual preparation of the product is the tiniest part of running a successful food operation.The majority of your day will be spent dealing with marketing, sales, maintaining par, menu writing and everyone's fave, payroll and other money matters!. You (as well as any partner(s) need to sit down and after extensive research create a detailed business plan (can take months if done...
Just wondering what it says re food service training in the policy and procedure manual ? Corporate, departmental... should be one specific to each department. What does it say about food service ops training? If there is not one pertaining to your area maybe you should write one up and present to the peeps that sit in the corner offices. Be serious about it.... do you really need to be onsite to train the chefs (who IMO you should be the first to interview) or can...
The new neighbor came around with his weekly box of breads. Bread pudding I was thinking. Tore the loaf into pieces and parked them in the oven with the fan on. Had the custard mix standing by (eggs, cream, milk, melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, salt as well as toasted pecans and bourbon plumped raisins) when the bread cubes were perfectly dry. Tossed it all together in a large bowl and let it sit until liquid had absorbed. Tip... use your hands to combine...
I hate to even bring this up (kinda dumb question ) but do you have a counter stand mixer or two (6-7 quarts) for recipe design and small batch needs? Whew. Now that that is off my chest....  it depends how large your production needs are, but yes you will be needing something larger. Lagom and panini both offer great solutions and as both have been in F&B since forever it is advice you can take to the bank. Being perpetually curious as well as a world class busybody...