or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

@panini plz don't get him started on the metal detector thing. He is so OCD (that's what makes a great wade fisherman IMO) that I would have to just drop him off someplace and pick him up when it is time to head home lol. On the other hand the Bird village has gone on my must do list as well as Harpers Ferry (thx chefwriter). It is getting long and stretches wide (in miles) but @panini will agree with me that compared to how long it takes to just get from his house to...
@Lagom and @chefwriter    wow .... I JUST opened this thread and have already been handed a bucket full of gold!  Mere words cannot express my gratitude! So shall I sing you something instead? I know all the words to the Happy Birthday song as well as The Eyes of Texas. Ya'lls choice .   Will get online now and research the hows and wheres and whens.   mimi
Forgot to ad ... willing to do a fair amt of driving (while based at Gettysburg) maybe as much as 100 miles in any direction for a chance at any junk. Cooperstown (baseball mecca for those not into small ball) is on the list so I can get a pix of myself standing next to the plack of Mr Milo Hamilton (long time announcer for the Astros) who was inducted a few years ago. Milo Hamilton. What a voice!   mimi
From Texas to Pennsylvania and back by different route.   Plenty of time to go off road and visit non touristy resale/junk/antique stores. I like to repurpose my finds into things like lighting and furniture slipcovers and would love some suggestions as to where these little pearls of the junker world could be found.   Suggestions re cafes and other down scale (but clean and delish) lunch stops and coffee shops with a great bakery (natch )  are def welcome as...
Nice list @PrincessCookie . I have tried a few of the cup cakes and the results were pretty decent. @Watan you should have no problems packing on your freshman 15 now!  ;-)   mimi
The masses of questions re the elusive perfect mac seem to have dried up. Maybe those seeking to "get it right" have given up? or Maybe everyone has mastered the technique? IMO it is most likely the chic have moved on to the next Big Thing. We did not invent these little jewels of the pastry case.... Someone wrote about them in a blog and started a macaroon fire that lasted IMO way too long. That said you will always find a nice selection in the pastry cases of ...
@Cocoanut  like you have pointed out the mac subject has been the topic of much debate. I am sure you must have already run a CT search and read most of the threads but here's a few that stand out.   as well as ...     mimi   OBTW I use the Italian method  :-)   m.
Assuming you have a dorm room fridge..... visit a bakery and choose a few items that look good and refrigerate/freeze well. Cheesecake would be a good choice. The single serve mini pastries found in most grocery store freezers (ready to eat after defrosting) might be something else you could try. Whatever you do choose make sure you wrap the little plastic container in cling film (cake esp will dry out in fridge) and consume within a few days.   mimi   edit for...
Warm chocolate will only melt the icing into a puddle on bottom of the cake plate. My first suggestion is to stick cake in fridge or freezer and then whip up another batch of buttercream. The now firm cake exterior will trap the crumbs and you will add another layer of buttercream, thereby hiding your disaster. No worries unless you are accepting payment for it. If it is the latter... barricade all doors and windows, grab a spoon (maybe a large stiff drink as well) and...
Glad you are so excited ! Now take a deep breath and give us a bit of direction here, K? What theme are you thinking of? Adult or kid bday? Wedding? Baby shower? Are you required to actually produce an edible product or just design one? mimi