or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

First, welcome to Chef Talk, Smetz!Second (a few points that are hopefully helpful)..... the actual preparation of the product is the tiniest part of running a successful food operation.The majority of your day will be spent dealing with marketing, sales, maintaining par, menu writing and everyone's fave, payroll and other money matters!. You (as well as any partner(s) need to sit down and after extensive research create a detailed business plan (can take months if done...
Just wondering what it says re food service training in the policy and procedure manual ? Corporate, departmental... should be one specific to each department. What does it say about food service ops training? If there is not one pertaining to your area maybe you should write one up and present to the peeps that sit in the corner offices. Be serious about it.... do you really need to be onsite to train the chefs (who IMO you should be the first to interview) or can...
The new neighbor came around with his weekly box of breads. Bread pudding I was thinking. Tore the loaf into pieces and parked them in the oven with the fan on. Had the custard mix standing by (eggs, cream, milk, melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, salt as well as toasted pecans and bourbon plumped raisins) when the bread cubes were perfectly dry. Tossed it all together in a large bowl and let it sit until liquid had absorbed. Tip... use your hands to combine...
I hate to even bring this up (kinda dumb question ) but do you have a counter stand mixer or two (6-7 quarts) for recipe design and small batch needs? Whew. Now that that is off my chest....  it depends how large your production needs are, but yes you will be needing something larger. Lagom and panini both offer great solutions and as both have been in F&B since forever it is advice you can take to the bank. Being perpetually curious as well as a world class busybody...
A great way to spot what's hot and what's not is by paying close attention to the new products/tutorials offered up by some of the pastry/wedding/bakery supply web sites. Wanting to be the place you purchase any tools and literature specific to a new trend it only makes sense to make a huge fuss and hire some big names to write and demo tutorials. Same with outgoing techniques and whatnot. Keep an eye on the clearance area for ideas and products on the way out.   mimi
 I tried one of those pouch rice abominations when the product was new on the market.If I ever have a burning need for a mushy block o'rice with an odd chemical aftertaste I know right where to source it. mimi
Whole milk is the best but I have in a pinch used 1 cup skim milk and a few tablespoons of melted butter (unsalted) with good results. That said I have no clue if it will work with this recipe or not. Next time you grocery shop pick up a few cans of evaporated milk (full fat type). Mix it at a half/half ratio as a sub for whole milk. If you have leftovers use it at for mashed potatos or dilute and make a bunch of pancakes or waffles and freeze them. Great for school...
Hmm. Maybe the export $$ for rice are just too tempting. http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/crops/rice/trade.aspx   mimi   Make friends with a rice grower and ask his/her opinion.
In order to gain comfort (fit and light weight) these clogs are most likely made of a highly porous material. Zillions of tiny holes for biological matter (food) to enter and lots of dampness to support the growth of bacteria. Unless you autoclave your shoes (not recommended) this lovely shoe soup aroma will only get worse. To get four/five years wear is certainly getting your money's worth. So buy a new pair already.   mimi