or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

Just FYI for those who may wonder. http://m.joyofbaking.com/ingredients/Eggs.html   mimi
@Myava  I think the recipe author used 9 inch pans in order to get 3 layers without having to tort. If a pan is too large the (smaller amts) of batter don't really have the umph to climb the walls and rise. Not a bad thing,  I use that technique when making petits fours. When I made up the batter I eyeballed the bowl and thought there was no way there was enough to make nice layers if I use that size pan. So I prepared 3- 8 in and had plenty of batter (extra in fact)...
Could have several causes. My first action would be to take a tape measure to my pans..... are they a true 9 inches? (although the one time I tried this recipe it was with 8x2 inch pans and had no problems). Did you deviate at all from the recipe and/or instructions? That means no substitutions of products (for instance the type of flour) and following the beater speeds and times. Are your leavenings in date? mimi
@chefwriter  While we do love the unexpected on a road trip there are times when a little help from others is welcome. Case in point... trippin' to Maine a few years back and had a late lunch. Both of us were wide awake until around 9 pm when we decided to stop for the nite. Of course we were between large towns (ironically  in Pennsylvania) so drove a bit further looking for a familiar chain hotel. No luck . Pulled off the freeway and checked in at a small motel...
I just want to take the time to thank everyone for all the great info! It is as if you were planning for your own trip (so keep it coming lol). As always Chef Talk members have been kind and generous with their knowledge..... This is probably the number one reason this forum has been around so long.... not just the food or the drink (or the knives lol) but the caliber of people who have drawn together to talk and laugh and share! Thanks @Nicko for your vision and...
@oldschool  Dobbin House Tavern for the onion soup - checkcheckcheck We once passed thru Gettysburg and only had time for one stop and the fisherman chose that cemetery. I took time to stand and read those words and yes I agree.....   I was awarded with the route from Texas to Gettysburg yesterday (must have been the chicken I fried lol) and Virginia is not on it. My family is from Richmond so who knows which way we will travel coming back. Thanks for your kind...
    mimi
@panini plz don't get him started on the metal detector thing. He is so OCD (that's what makes a great wade fisherman IMO) that I would have to just drop him off someplace and pick him up when it is time to head home lol. On the other hand the Bird village has gone on my must do list as well as Harpers Ferry (thx chefwriter). It is getting long and stretches wide (in miles) but @panini will agree with me that compared to how long it takes to just get from his house to...
@Lagom and @chefwriter    wow .... I JUST opened this thread and have already been handed a bucket full of gold!  Mere words cannot express my gratitude! So shall I sing you something instead? I know all the words to the Happy Birthday song as well as The Eyes of Texas. Ya'lls choice .   Will get online now and research the hows and wheres and whens.   mimi
Forgot to ad ... willing to do a fair amt of driving (while based at Gettysburg) maybe as much as 100 miles in any direction for a chance at any junk. Cooperstown (baseball mecca for those not into small ball) is on the list so I can get a pix of myself standing next to the plack of Mr Milo Hamilton (long time announcer for the Astros) who was inducted a few years ago. Milo Hamilton. What a voice!   mimi