or Connect

Posts by flipflopgirl

Weekends and holidays are busy for catering (as well as the rest of the industry). The bread and butter of my operation (which is getting smaller as I get older). Sort of balances out the the slower times so no I don't raise prices as it would push me higher than my peers and potentially drive customers into their arms. Nor do I pay a holiday premium for my PT and on call staff....unless I have a spot that I cannot get filled. I already run lean but pay the going rate...
A drunk on the fry station... Management's worst nightmare.   mimi
To bring out that savory meaty taste it is necessary to first get a good crusty exterior. First get it as dry as you can (paper towels that don't shed and can be tossed are my go to). Season with salt then into a well oiled very hot pan with low sides (the steam from the searing meat needs to dissipate or you will end up steaming and not browning). Do not crowd the pan (see above re steaming) if using chunks. Don't rush things wait until a bit darker than golden before...
Sorry. You are looking for a tied pork roast. TBH I have never seen this done but then again I am in Texas and most of the pork left after the usual ham cuts, belly and ribs is ground for sausage.   mimi
It could have been any of a dozen cuts of meat (usually fatty and less expensive) that has been smoked on low heat for a long time. Brisket (beef) is more of a flat cut and popular here in Texas. Shoulder clod (don't know the real name for this cut) is also popular but takes a bit of talent to prevent drying out and becoming tough.   mimi
I guess it is depends on where you are from. When I was sent to the nearest butcher (for bbq) it was for links of coarsely ground (and highly seasoned) pork sausage. House made and smoked then "cooked" on a huge pit out back along with a few shoulder clods and sometimes a pork cut of some sort. It was a  Saturday thing (and very much welcome after the no meat Friday's observed in our Catholic home). A loaf of spongy white bread and yellow mustard were the only other...
@KyleW ...gorgeous loaves! You seem to have the touch.   mimi   Spellcheck!!!
I can share your frustration. Just did a moderately long search for another thread re lint, cotton dust, cotton threads (last was a huge mistake as there are a zillion hits for "threads" lol) and could find nothing (not even this CT question).   Cast iron should not be sticky. Was it like this when you bought it (if so contact the store for an immediate return) or is it maybe the end result of over zealous "seasoning" ? If your problem is the latter maybe you should...
I agree with @phatch on this one. There are an untold number of brands and pricing is all over the place. Step into a Home Goods or Marshalls any day of the week and pick up one of the "top brands" at half (or lower) price. The mats are all doing what is advertised for the most part...I have my favorites and the not so good ones are stored away in a cabinet for the big cookie occasions.   When I bake at home and have to do my own dishes I find them a hassle to wash...
Love a well written humble post/PM. Have written more than my share lol.   Welcome to CT @kbuff.   mimi