or Connect

Posts by Biktor

Yeah, I just placed my order! I originally thought that 119 dollars + shipping was a little expensive for me, and now the total sum ended up being 271 dollars! I didn't know you needed all these accessories, but I probably would have been unhappy with my purchase if the knife had not performed as well as it will now. I also probably would not have known that it was my fault, so I thank all of you for helping me out with this!   Special thanks to BDL, not only...
As I pointed out earlier, I know absolutely nothing about sharpening blades on a water stone. I will probably place my order later today, and thought I had found a combi-stone at a reasonable price: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kingcombostone.html   I probably can't afford two separate stones at the moment (I'm a poor student), but would it be better to buy a low quality combi-stone like that or buy one higher quality single stone. I do of course plan to do a lot...
  I think I've found a suitable stone, but I was just wondering one more thing: When you say that the Shun Premier is overpriced, are you referring to its original price of 225 dollars or the reduced price of 119 dollars at Chef knives to go? I can agree that 225 seems a little steep, and I would've picked the Konosuke HD in a flash if that was the current price. 119 dollars seems like a pretty good deal to me, or am I wrong about this?   Thank you both for your input!
The ones I'm currently looking at are:   The Shun Premier because it seems to have a little more belly than most, which makes the transition to japanese knives easier. The Fujiwara FKM because I've heard it's a great starter knife. Good pricing as well. The Konosuke HD because of the looks and good reviews.   At the moment I'm leaning towards the Shun simply because it seems like the middle ground, and I love the design (yes, that is important to me). I'm...
Hi guys!   I found my way to these forums by looking for a source of information regarding Japanese knives, after seeing a friend of mine use his newly purchased blade the other day. I've been reading a lot and found a few knives that are to my liking, but don't worry - this isn't one of those "Help me pick!"-threads.   After a few hours of reading it struck me that my friend didn't purchase any means of sharpening his knife. I've come to understand that there's...