or Connect

Posts by Timtro

Hi All,   I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these. They seem to be VG-10, 10 degree 50:50. Not a bad deal assuming the quality is there.   They appear to be Ice Bear knives, but I can't find much out about these, except that they seem to be more common in Europe than here. Does anyone have any experience with them? Do they hold a descent edge?
Thanks BDL,   Not confusing at all. Usually I strop with leather on a wooden back. On one side, I tend to charge with green honing compound. So, does this actually round the shoulder creating a convex edge? I always thought I was just adding a mirror finish for better slicing.   A typical V is no problem for me. I can put a razer edge on my German knives without thinking twice. I must just be acting a bit of a noob because I'm so nervous about these Japanese...
Thanks BDL, that's very interesting. I think I'll try to put a convex edge on some of my cheaper knives to get the hang of it. So simply stropping on leather can give you a convex grind? Do I need to roll my wrist at all to try to round the shoulder on the bevel? As for a micro bevel, I remember you saying that half the time they tend to dull the knife. I assume that's if it isn't done properly. So, would you say I might sharpen to 10* and then on my 4000x...
Thanks :)   Sorry, to be clear, by open, I just mean how to go about the first sharpening. I know I've heard people talk about reprofiling the MACs to a double bevel, and so to sharpen the first few times at one angle, and then layer on another bevel. I think BDL wrote something to that effect, but I've read others on the forum too.  
Hi all,   I recently bought a few MAC knives. Now, sharpening will be an issue. I've never sharpened Japanese knives before. I've read plenty of tutorials and watched videos (although if you'd like to recommend your favorites, I'm always interested), but I have some questions.   Equipment I have available: 10" DiaSharp® Stone, 220x 10" 600x/1200x DuoSharp® Bench Stone Norton 4000x/8000x Combo. Water Stone Henckels Honing Steel Rockwell 65 MAC Ceramic...
Well,   I took back all of my Sanelli's because the block came cracked. In the mean time, I went to a restaurant supply with reasonable prices and bought a full set of knives from the Henckels Twin Masters and Kolor ID, and Vicrorinox. These form my backbone of work horses, and for under $200.00, I got very good value.   Now, back to the big-boy knife, I went with everyone's advice telling me to go with MAC. I got addicted to the MAC Pro line and got an MBK-95...
Thank you so much! I'm sorry for the late reply. I actually am really interested in the Tojiro lines, but they are a bit more expensive here than there, but are still competitively priced. Its just because good knives in general are expensive in Canada.  
I know I've seen BDL say that it was, but I'm trying to find a second source for this. Googling isn't turning up much. Any links any of you have would be greatly appreciated.   I'm having a 'conversation' with the knife guy at my favorite resturant supply. They sell MAC, but he swears by the Kaizen. Thanks to BDL, I'm quite the MAC fan now.   Link to BDL saying it was faux: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/68713/miyabi-kaizen-chefs-knife
I'm back on track. BDL, I saw your posting today to someone asking if they should settle for a Miyabi or Shun, and it struck me that you held them in the same class and simply replied 'no'. I'm going back to MAC.   I did want to run one more thing by everyone. Has anyone heard of Haruyuki SRS15 knives?   http://www.knifewear.com/knife-family.asp?family=15   I ask because they have a 240 mm Gyuto, which MAC doesn't have.   That seller seems interesting and...
t Hi BDL, I just took a trip to a local supply place and they have the standard stuff, but incredibly (for around here) they carry MAC (the reason I went) and Miyabi. The fella there (a retired chef) did a good job convincing me to switch from Sanelli to the yellow handle Henckels Twin Masters. He also suggested that I consider a Miyabi rather than a MAC. Specifically a damascus steel blade. I was hoping for your opinion. Everything I've read about Miyabi knives...