or Connect

Posts by RobSingh

Hi FF,    I'm living in LA right now. A neighbor up the street has a rosemary bush. I'm from the east-coast. Not the best place to grow herbs (e.g. winter months).    Will one day try a Paella recipe or two. Never made Spanish dishes.    Have a good weekend.
Hi FF,   I haven't yet Googled "paella" but you say the leaves soften enough where they aren't "thorny"? I suppose when roasting (e.g. lamb, pork chop....etc.) we have to either finely chop the leaves or use the entire sprig (placing them on top or below) and removing them when plating.    Have yet to smoke springs when BBQing...will definitely try that later.    Rosemary bush in your backyard? Nice. I guess you're from the south? (e.g. California? Texas?) Love to have a...
Hi all,   I think most of can agree that there's nothing like adding some fresh rosemary onto our dishes (e.g. lamb chops). Question is how do we avoid having to swallow the "thorny" bits? I would usually just put the entire sprig on the lamb, roast and the remove the sprig. Or if I've removed the stem and sprinkled the bits...later brush off the bits...leaving the aroma/taste added by the rosemary.    In Gordon Ramsey's YouTube video...
  Hi BDL,   I just ordered a MAC MTH-80 chef knife. You said you don't consider it thin for a Japanese knife? It's 2mm.    Also, why would a longer knife be better than an 8" if you have good knife skills?   And, you mentioned how you think a Chef Choice might be a good choice for many? I've read on other forums people saying a CC will actually damage your knives. Not true? Adding a recurve and maybe grinding off the tip. False?   I'd like to say I want to learn to use...
That's a relief. BDL doesn't think I have a character flaw. LOL!! :)   Thanks for the other information BDL. I assumed HRC was a good gauge of knife "hardness". Didn't dawn on me for some reason that some makers might exaggerate their numbers a little.    How much harder would it be to sharpen a SG2 steel knife versus one made of VG10? I mean would it just require more passes on the stones? Is there something about sharpening SG2 steel knives which would make it...
    About the French knives...The K-Sabatier "Au Carbone" knives actually have "high carbon'" etched on the knives. And are described as hgih carbon knives. That's what I was going by.   And regarding HRC...Not sure what you meant by "55 RCH is ...closer than 57". If the knife has a HRC rating of 60-63 is it not "harder" than one rated at 55-57? Higher the number the harder the steel. Correct? :)   Regarding asymmetrical grinds I think I get it now. Why...
Interesting approach to life. Medicine as the "fall back".   I looked into K-Sabatiers. Nice price. They do have a high carbon line. But the steel is German soft. I think the HRC is 55-57. I'm looking for knives with at least 60-63. With a 50/50 bevel. I figure they would be easier for me to sharpen being that I am new to using stones. Plus if I do get lazy and buy a Chef's Choice I think they are only used for knives with a 50/50 bevel.    As for getting an EP...Maybe....
Don't know why I thought the Masamoto VG was high carbon. Surprised I missed that. :)   Is your daughter training to be a chef?    Any how the researching continues...though I am narrowing down my choices in JP knvies...   Sharpening? Naniwa stones/DMT flatening plate most likely. An "Edge Pro Apex"? Dunno...but if it can get me consistent angles...I might try that first. You use both? I guess you're happy with the Edge Pro or you wouldn't still be using it. 
K-Sabatier. Will look into them. Are there not many choices? :) Or are they considered THE brand as far as French knives are concerned?   I can get a Masamoto VG series knives locally. Why do you think Masamoto's are a step above a few of the other brands (e.g. MAC, Tojiro DP)?   I just wondered what people here thought of the Chef's Choice...I have an idea what they are going to say and I'm pretty sure most people here use stones. Just want to hear from them (you). I...
Thanks for the information and advice BDL. Question..are you English? Curious.   Konosuke product lines are available to me at the local JP knife specialty shop. As are Kikuichi, Masamoto (not sure which line), MAC (not sure if they have the PRO line...just the "Chef's line" and another I don't recall the name of). Tojiro DP (and Flash) I would have to order.    Regarding the Shun's...the fact that you would have to raise the handle higher being an issue will not...