or Connect

Posts by Michael W

ChefBillyB, thanks and you're welcome.   I was just using Thomas Keller as an example and honestly I think that would under the current situation be a bit out of my pay grade altho I would be willing to work at one of his restaurants if they were to offer me a position. It's funny you should mention Mustard's, thats were I was sitting having lunch when I was writing my first post in this thread. I have asked many places if the would let me work for free for six...
Thanks DuckFat, I talked to the school and they told me that volunteer work at the VA kitchen was sufficient to fulfill their  prerequisite requirements. I then headed back down the road to the VA hospital and was welcomed with open arms and completed all the paperwork required and today I have orientation at 1030. So as of this moment I seem to have all my bases covered, I am sure that something will comeback to bight me in the dough in relation to my post 911 GI Bill...
Jacque Pepin would be great, he loves to talk technique, and he loves sharing his knowledge.   I had the great fortune to meet him a few times and even got to hang out with him after a cooking demo he did in Scottsdale AZ, he is a true gentleman.
Thanks Dave for guidance, those days of a command being in charge or running the mess hall are long gone, no KP duty, heck the GI's don't even pick up their own dishes and trays from the table anymore, it's all contracted out. Great idea on the volunteer work, I will check with the school today and see if that will work, we have the VA hospital here in Yountville, I will swing in there today and see if I can line something up, and I would be doing something good for my...
Aloha, and thank you vary much. I am in the Air Force and for many many years I was an F-16 crew chief right there at Luke AFB AZ and currently I am a jet engine mechanic at Travis AFB California altho I don't get to work on engines any more, I'm too far up the food chain in supervision. I have my retirement papers in and just waiting the process out and for the VA to catch up with me. There is one thing that I have learned in all my travels, and that is not to under...
Thank you and your welcome.   I have discussed it with the course advisors and they will budge a little but not much and I don't mind working the grunt work in the kitchen between the time I retire and when school starts, in fact I am sure there is a lot of grunt work to come. I just don't know how to go about getting my foot in the door of a reputable restaurant with a BS in aviation science and mechanical engineering and no way to prove my skills in the...
Hello everyone, looking forward to meeting all of you digitally and reading your words of wisdom and hopefully your encouragement as well. I am an avid foodie and enjoy trying new things in the culinary world and am vary fortunate to live in an area where there is an abundance of world class restaurants, organic farms and farmers markets, breathtaking vineyards and wine, artisan cheese manufactures and superb micro breweries. I am currently in the final throughs of my...
Hello everyone, I am looking to start culinary school this winter at CAI here in Napa valley and need some help in the form of information. The CIA requires at least six months of kitchen experience in a kitchen and proof, which I totally understand. My problem being that I have for the twenty-one plus years been off serving my country and fighting wars, now that my retirement is just around the corner, I greatly look forward to starting a new career and fulfilling a...