or Connect

Posts by Mike9

Cool, windy and rainy today so it was perfect for a nice Cioppino.  It was a good day to clean out the fridge so the veg was:  onion, scallion, shallot, fennel, celery, bell and jalapeno peppers, garlic, tomato paste and fire roasted tomatoes.  Liquid was chicken stock and white wine.  Proteins were bratwurst, baby clams, mussels and shrimp.  I put parsley, basil and some fennel frond in to round things out.  I served with a crusty sourdough baguette smeared with compound...
Yup - I have a South Bend with a flat top over a salamander and I rock it in cold weather.   Bacon and sausage on then push the drippin's to the side and trowel a little where you need it.  Usually French Toast, or Pancakes go down next then my eggs.  You can rock home fries diner style as well it's all good in moderation.   Go to a Greek diner and watch the short order guy cook breakfast - best griddle education ever IMO.
Thank you - the breasts are being converted to prosciutto - ought to be good.
American makers:   Murray Carter Devin Thomas Delbert Ealy   Japanese makers:   Masamoto Konosuke Shigeki Tanaka
Roast duck leg quarter and wing sections over a bed of radicchio, Belgian endive and arugula with a vinaigrette of garlic, herbed mild mustard, grapefruit balsamic vinegar and good olive oil.          Desert was a slice of banana nut bread with Greek yogurt and strawberries macerated with evaporated cane juice and chardonnay.
Welcome to ChefTalk - There are so many choices, makers, steels it can be dizzying.  However with high end knives comes the need to learn to maintain them.  A plus to learning to sharpen is you get to fine tune your knives to your cutting style.   If you haven't already done so head on over to http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com - there are a bunch of guys from Oz there who are quite active on the buy, sell trade forum.
Sounds good - here are the appetizers - Skordalia, olives, Octopus in a smoked paprika vinaigrette and compound butter for the sliced baguette in the oven.  This is before the roast beets arrived.  I didn't get a pic of the lamb or the desert though - doh!!!     And some eggs we colored in between courses -     And the grand kids - I gave the little guy some octopus and he scarfed it down and asked for more -  
We're having friends over Saturday for "Greek Easter" - roast leg of lamb, grilled octopus, green beans, skordalia, spanakopita, salad and for desert yogurt with strawberries, lemon zest and Greek style honey sauce.   Sunday it's next door for ham and whatever anyone brings.  I have some nice boudin noir for us guys and a duck to roast.  Should be ready to start that new diet Monday -  
I pounded out chicken breasts, stuffed with black forest ham and pepper jack, rolled, sealed then slathered with a seasoned mayo and into a bread crumb mix.  Roasted on greased parchment and served with kale chips.  Really delicious meal and a great way to relax after work.
If you are used to Western Randy from HHH is selling some of the last production 240 gyutos at a very nice price of $210 + shipping ($10 conus).  These are excellent knives and one of my "go to" blades - very nimble for their size and the grind and heat treat is excellent.  The handle is almost a hybrid wa/yo so you get that "extension of the arm" feeling.     http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/17821-SALE-Last-of-the-240-s-SALE!!!!?p=294917#post294917