or Connect

Posts by Mike9

We used to blanch 50lbs. of "ocean perch" fillets every Friday.  Batter, blanch fry then onto a sheet pan and into the walk in when cool and finish fry to order.  Friday morning we'd change out the fryers so the oil was fresh for the weekend.
Well here in "the states" "shepherd's pie" is made with beef usually because we can only get large cuts of lamb and many americans don't like lamb, or especially mutton in the case of "real" shepherd's pie.  A few grocers carry ground lamb, but to buy a joint, roast it then use the leftover for pie is a bit much for most yanks.  I love it myself and roast a leg of lamb at least twice a year.  Nothing like a cold lamb sandwich with a big slather of freshly made Coleman's...
Here's another take on chucky -   I have one now and it does bagged souse vide very well.  I like that it connects with you through a smart phone app so you can do other things elsewhere while it's doing its thing.  I'm not getting rid of my PID setup that I use with a hot plate though.  With that I can put the probe into a pot of stock and keep it at a set temperature for as long as I want the only thing is I need to keep track of the time.  You can't do that with Joule....
Here's another take on Chucky -    
A 270mm suji is not a practice blade especially with a VG10 core.  Get a carbon blade to practice on, watch videos - Murray Carter, Jon Broida, etc.  Actually this is the first sharpening video I ever watched and it explained a lot to me.  The others honed my technique so to speak.  

Sesame chicken with an extra egg roll for the Mrs.  It was supposed to be ham with greens and mash, but I started the greens in a pot I never use and the bottom is too thin so . . . pick up phone and order out.  Tomorrow's another day.
 I just made turkey bone broth with a fresh carcass, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, ginger, dried chili and pepper corns.  It went 44 hrs. at 200 degrees then I skimmed out the solids and let it rest in the cold overnight.  All the fat had skinned on the top and was easy to remove.  I strained it through a towel and it's a beautiful clear amber.  We had some tonight and I bagged five quarts.  I added no salt, but it's delicious as is, or salt to taste and enjoy.  
I made a pot of turkey bone broth last week and it's so delicious it makes a perfect brodo with shaved carrot, celery, onion, garlic, lean bacon slices, kale and porcini tortellini.  A little sprinkling of dried grated cheese blend to round things out.  
Nice - so many options between fresh and dried.  Something with Duxelles comes to mind.  Interestingly enough I made a soup with porcini tortellini tonight, but I didn't make them from scratch.