or Connect

Posts by Mike9

I bought a blue steel pizza pan recently and gave it a go tonight.  Detroit style pizza - oh it was better than anything I can buy locally.  I used a multi grain store bought dough, but I think I'll make from scratch next time it will be more authentic that way.  
 Now that can be a problem especially with cow . . . . . and sometimes venison.  
I had a hankerin' for steak today so when I saw 1" thick, bone in strip 3 pack for $4.99/lb. I couldn't resist.  I set my now defunct gas grill up for close charcoal (closer than my weber) and it really put a nice sear on the product.  We enjoyed that with some steamed sweet corn and a really nice SALAD       (sorry I couldn't resist).  After a nice rest these steaks gave up nothing but flavor.  After dinner the coals were still hot so I broke out some marshmallows and...
Well the burgers got scratched in leu of grilled venison back strap, some great sausage and lots of salads.  I made a Caprese salad with cherry tomatoes halved, fresh mozzarella medallions chunked, torn basil, salt, pepper, olive oil and a little champagne vinegar.  That macerated for an hour before serving and it was very good.
I had a slice of cold Margherita pizza with anchovy for brunch.  Looking forward to a great burger and salad later.
Friday I sawed that venison cage in half then sawed off the chine.  Trimmed them up and seasoned with my rub and left them in foil overnight.  We went up to a friends yesterday and they went on the grill along with some corn and fresh garlic bread.  We finished off the meal with espresso and baklava.   We need SALAD today to stay tuned in the challenge thread.
I Hear America Cooking by Betty Fussell is a great book that is broken into regional cuisines.  
Cube, sear and braise in stock and red wine if you can spare it.  
"Country Style" is from the shoulder and can have both dark and white meat in the same piece and need a different technique.  I cook baby backs and St. Louis the same.  Personally I like the St. Louis ribs better.  
My grandfather used to make pancakes from scratch.  He beat the egg whites till stiff and folded them in the batter.  They were the lightest, fluffiest pancakes I've ever had in my life.  I'd like to make them again sometime, but in the mean time Krusteaz is about as good as it gets.