or Connect

Posts by Mike9

OK - got it hanging and started another with less salt and the addition of peperoncino.  This one I'll salt for 16hrs then season, wrap and hang.   First one in -     I was reading a blog about drying by weight loss and this got me thinking.  5 weeks is a long time to dry cure a small piece of meat.  Duck breast prosciutto only took two weeks - what does the think tank think about this?
Oh this one is going 24hrs. before seasoning and wrapping.  I'm hoping the smoked and celery salts add a depth of flavor.  I think they will too.
I started one today - 1/4 cup alder smoked salt, a pinch of Prague powder, tablespoon of celery salt and enough Kosher salt to make a cup + 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.  
Triple bypass on a plate -       Looks good to tell you the truth.  
$1.99/lb last week so I bought 4 yesterday and will be making some saucisson this week.
 It's a visual quiz that you get to eat . . . . if you pass     I altered a couple of things - I only sliced what we were eating and put the rest on a baker's rack and the crust did not get soft like it would if you put it back in the pan, or left it on a platter.  I used a good quality anchovy and put the oil in the sauce then added salt as needed.  My basic sauce is no salt tomato sauce 8oz, big tbsp tomato paste, garlic and onion powders, dried herbs - basil, parsley...
I made a delicious pizza tonight and a really good looking one at that.  Sweet Italian sausage meatball, anchovy and Cremini.  
I was in the mood for galumpkies for some reason.  They sure tasted good and will be even better second time around.    
Yes the shoulder has plenty of fat.  It's one of the reasons I use it for sausage.
My house smells amazing right now.  I'm reducing the duck stock I made the other day with watercress, cilantro, scallion, garlic, ginger, carrot, dried shitaki, white miso and hondashi.  I'll strain that when it's finished and serve over rice sticks and sauteed shrimp with scallion, cilantro and garlic/chili paste.  Picture at 7PM.   Wow was this delicious -