or Connect

Posts by Mike9

I used to help my grandma she was Quebecios and my mother was from the UP in Michigan.  I cooked in the Boy Scouts when we camped and later worked in the industry for 5-6 yrs doing carry out BBQ, pizza, etc.  In the 60's Graham Kerr had a cooking show and I was fascinated and later Julia and Jacques as well as Justin Wilson and that experience really made me want to up my game.  I believe I have. 
Pork loin roast with local red potatoes on the grill with steamed corn and a fresh salad.  I put an apple cider glaze on the pork - delicious.  
I had a jar of proofed moon shine last summer and infused it with ginger.  It was delicious in a mixed drink.  I got the idea from the "Zen" martini I had in San Antonio at the tower restaurant.
Tonight was a full Polack meal on the grill.  Some awesome kielbasi from Dearborn Mi., stuffed grilled pimiento and grilled red cabbage with a garlic cream sauce.   
Lets see - this went on the grill -       Accompanied by these - stuffed grilled cheese peppers     Along with some grilled butter and sugar corn on the cob.  Sorry no after pictures we put the feedbag on.
Damn - time to do another batch . . . oh the drudgery!!       Thought I'd snap this before I got in too deep.  Cut around any bad spots, X'd the bottoms onto the sheet pan with rock salt, peperoncino, EVOO, sliced garlic, a little sugar & a little dried basil.  Baked at 400 for @ 45 minutes then turned off the oven for another 30-40.  Peeled then into the Foley and this pan yielded @ 2/3+ gallon of sauce that tastes amazing.  Mix of plums, Jersey Devils and another...
By the time I get done with other sides my steaks have rested @ 10 minutes.  I've had them go 20, but yes they do cool down and tenting them destroys whatever crust you have achieved.  Roasts I let go till I can pick it up in my hand.  There are few things more heartbreaking than slicing into a nice piece of meat and watching it drain.
I get three burgers per pound of meat - no filler - just fresh (ground by me) chuck with extra trimmings I might have from rib eye, fillet, etc.  I go for 80/20 meat to fat sometimes I'll splurge and go 75/25, but 80/20 is my favorite blend.  Sounds more like you made two huge, flat meatballs - not that that's a bad thing, but that was a lot of flour.  Next time try panko.
Went to the store to get a few things and found twin packs of steamed lobster for $12.  Since I didn't make it to Maine this year . . .        Lets just say lunch was worth the effort - this was #2  
When I roast a whole chicken I make sure it's thawed and room temp then I season the inside of the cavity, add a quartered apple, or onion and truss it tight.  A tight chicken will cook more thoroughly than a loose one.  If you test with a thermometer (and I suggest you do till you get the hang of this) do it on the meaty part and not near bone.  Cooking takes practice and practice and practice.    Watch this video repeatedly -