or Connect

Posts by Rumenta

Thanks guys, I'm gonna give this 6k re-burring a try soon. (I just have to do a friend's knife, completely covered in rust and badly chipped edge: great chance to practice!)  
Wow, how do you manage to get a burr on the 6000?! Every time I move to that stone and switch to a "stropping" motion, the burr melts away at the very first passes and after that there's no way of reforming one (not that I really want or need to). Maybe I should apply some more vertical force. But does it make sense to reform a burr on a 6000 after it's gone?
mmm... I don't have a lot of experience sharpening and when I started I bought the very same minosharp guiderails you mention. Not only that, but I also bought another cheapo one set at a more teutonic angle of 20* - the idea at the time was to put a final microbevel... silly me... The minosharp thingy will give you an angle which is best described as "between 10* and 15*", the reason being that there's other stuff involved, notably the blade's width. I would tend...
Agree with you, Wag, but the problem is that I'm in NZ and although it's a wonderful country there's no artisan that I know of that has experience in replacing/repairing traditional japanese knives' handles. And anything that involves mailing stuff in or out of the country incurs in absurd shipping fees that most of the time are sufficient to rule certain services out (i.e. 35-40 usd for a single knife or a single handle). Therefore it is kinda important that a...
Bugger, just reached a decision for my choice of a petty and now was wondering about my last piece of equipment that's still missing, a slicer. I obviously started browsing the forums and an idea formed into my mind that I wanted a wa handled, japanese sujikiri with a carbon or semi-carbon(semi-stainless?) blade, laser-built. That's when I started looking for brands and user recommendations were really helpful but... something of a trend started to emerge: 1 - a...
Right. Wag, BDL and Jon thanks heaps for your time and input. Bugger, I had really hoped that guiderails on the back of the knife would have solved pretty much any angle problem by removing normal wrist wobbling. After all, you just would have to keep a decent downward pressure to make sure the blade is always in contact with the stone and the guiderail would do the rest, wouldn't you think? Evidently not - and if I understand your hints, this might be due to...
Oh , THAT is a Sharpie?! Now that you've showed the logo to me I think I've seen them even in supermarkets! I guess because of the brand name I thought they were some sort of very specialized markers made for blade sharpening process...
Since you are new here your post is being held for moderation what??????
On another note - I'll try and find a Sharpie but not sure they sell them here in NZ. I might just steal a whiteboard marker from work! Jokes apart, would that work by any chance?? (a whiteboard marker, I mean)
Mmm... right, a few things start falling into place but I must admit my concept of Rockwell hardness and how it differentiates steels was completely wrong - way too simplistic I guess. But that's ok, thanks for your help gents, that is much appreciated! Wagstaff, about the "honyaki": no testing at all, just plain wrong - I meant honesuki but I've got about 268 new, strange japanese words all having "ono", "oto", "ishi" swirling in my head and mixing together. BDL,...