or Connect

Posts by Rumenta

BDL, just as a term of reference, if that's your idea of "minimum", what's "normal" and "maximum"? Not being ironic here, it would help me understand. I thought that when you get the blade to fall without any pressure whatsoever through an onion (yellow external layers on?) or a tomato (I hate cherry tomatoes...) as in an effortless push-cut you're pretty much there, next thing would be a laser beam or a gaze from my mother-in-law.
Jon, thank you very much for your videos and comments, I'll have a good go at them when I'm back home (at work right now). About the magic marker trick, I kinda have a silly question on the back of my mind but I'm, well, a bit ashamed to ask...oh bugger...here it is: do you use a specific type of magic marker?? I sort of have the vague notion that some inks are more permanent than others on metal... although, to think of it, a black-handled Hattori HD with deep...
Forgot to reply to your note circa san-mai knives that might feel "dull" to some and therefore influence a decision to purchase. I can smell some BDL there ... Well, I can't honestly say because the Hattori HD is my first real Jap knife and don't have developed yet a proper "sensibility". It's SO different than my german chef's and I like both, for all their differences (or prob because of them). Not a decisive factor at this stage.
Wow Wagstaff, that's heaps of info you put down and all very useful! I prob should have posted two separate threads, one for the petty and another for the sharpening (and I aint touched the cutting board topic yet...). Anyway let me try and mark down a few things.   Re Sharpening: I'll definitely have to try the magic marker trick - just don't remember how it's properly done. Will have to go back to Chad's tutorial on eGullet and any help on this forum. You're...
Wagstaff, your compliment is unexpected and very much treasured: I don't write often and don't consider myself particularly good at it but I guess in this case it's just my enthusiasm creeping out and doing the work. Kinda like those guys who, completely out of the blue, start talking in a weird language like ancient babylonian. Wait...no, that's demonic possession......   As for the "saner approach" you associate with me, well I won't answer that but only write down my...
Hey ChefBoy, thanks for your reply. Yeah, Sabatiers, I've read a lot of experienced people around here feel like you and are completely fond of them (either K or Thiers-Hissard). I might be tempted to try out one but the only thing that somehow I don't instinctively like is that fingerguard they come with. Now, if I were a rational person I should try first and judge afterwards, but if I were a rational person I wouldn't own a scratched 200$ Hattori HD I guess...
Thanks ChefDave, that is indeed good advice. I agree with you on the idea to have a few knives to do all the work, I intend to stay with my gyuto and just add a petty (prob 150mm) and a small parer (around 80mm).   That said I kinda like exploring a bit this new world and willing to throw a few bucks in order to do so. Hence my initial idea to try a petty with something a bit more exotic like powdered steel or the semi-carbon. Whattheheck, I might even try a...
...of the damage you've done to my sanity (that's also the name of my leather wallet, btw). I used to be a normal guy with a sane, healthy habit for home cooking, preparing food to enjoy with my wife and friends, exploring different ethnic cuisines and recipes, cooking techniques and funny kitchen apparatus. I even received an awesome Felix Solingen chef's for my birthday (a X50CrMrV15 german steel - btw, can you see the damage? I shouldn't know what that code mean...)...