or Connect

Posts by Grillbeast

Chef will probably shoot it down immediately, but what about making a steam well on the grill with hotel pans to hold some sauces or purees? Edit: didn't see the comment right above me that suggests this. Maybe we're on to something!
This is totally dependent on the kitchen. I ran a brunch with one other guy, we had a six burner stove, fryer and two plug in griddles. We could work about 10 covers at a time, whether that was 1 check or 5. Now I work on a 4 man line where the chef expedites and plates mostly everything. The expo table can fit about 15 plates so during service we work about 15 entrees at a time. Hot and cold apps go out asap, and when entrees go on fire it's "this push, 4 halibut, 2...
I use tongs for a hot grill. Steaks and chops don't get mashed if you are careful. Definitely only use a fish spat for grilled fish though, sometimes with an assist from tongs to gently prop the fillet up while I turn it for a cross hatch. Now I work a saute station focused on fish and my tongs are reserved for grabbing sizzle plates out of the back of the oven or other random tasks. Spoons, tweezers and rarely my fish spat get everything done.
I prefer very detailed prep lists. Quantity on hand, par for that day of the week (seasonally adjusted) and I like them to include every detail down to shallots, garlic and herbs. I've run a small kitchen before and now I work the line at a much larger place where my mise is insane. The prep list is invaluable, and I wrote down every aspect of my mise in my pocket notebook. Nothing worse than forgetting one tiny detail and trying to slice country ham during the rush.
I know this isn't helpful, but after you get through this nightmare (good luck! Sincerely!) Recommend a carving station/buffet for the next similar event.
I personally believe omelets should be filled, I don't like mixing the filling into the eggs and simply Rolling or folding. I tend to use 3.5-4 eggs for a country style omelet(half moon, slight Browning is ok). I use a small amount of canola oil spray in a good non stick pan. Add beaten eggs, season, swirl to coat pan. Pull away from corners, fill empty space with runny eggs. Swirl around pan and scrape down edges. The goal is to get the runny top (inside) almost set...
Is there someone manning the stove/grill? How many hot items are you responsible for? Can you simply have the hot line grill your chicken and pass it to you?
I also like serving fish or scallops with a crunchy slaw of jicama, carrot and other slightly sweet vegetables. Instead of a warm sauce component use a citrus vinaigrette. Add a starch if you feel you need to. The pick up is super simple, cook fish(sear or grill or broil), plate with two cold components (slaw, vin) that are ready at hand.
Limited seasonal availability on certain spring items can be a problem, so think of ideas that can be done with multiole substitutions, like a small shape pasta with "spring green pesto.". You can use ramps while you have them plus a mix of watercress/arugula. Sub scallions after ramp season. Think bright fresh flavors.
Reading comprehension is fun! The chicken was cooked to temp. It was being reheated. If salmonella tends to grow in poultry that has already been cooked to temp then that is news to me.I understand that reading isn't the most important part of cooking but you guys suck at it.